your ideal barn?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastlane

Reaction score
Hey folks,

New to the list........and thought I would jump right in with a question (if I may)!

We will be retiring to New Mexico next year and of course, have the barn planning as a priority (over the house). I may pick up a BIG horse when down there for trail riding and such, so we need a barn that can be both for minis and biggies. We want to go with a modular barn, one that comes in on a truck and is assembled by the company as we will be waaaaaaaaaaaaay out there and don't want to pay for all the freight related to wood/pole barns. Plus we needed it up pronto when we get there and need to think about fire safety.

We have been told about Barnmaster and MD and a few other pole barn companies. Is there anyone who has worked with a modular barn company, like Barnmaster or MD, AND customized the stalls so they are mini-friendly, i.e smaller size, smaller doorways, lower walls so the little darlings can SEE out of the stall, etc?

I know one of the benefits of going modular is everything is pretty much "set in stone" dimensions-wise. I am just hoping there is a company out there that can bend the rules a little.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Sandy Carr

Enumclaw, WA

I finally got my ideal barn finished in the middle of February of this year. The quality and construction of the barn is the best done by Royal Stall of Sanger, CA. This isn't actually my ideal barn that one would have cost a lot more.

This is a photo from across my driving track. Each stall has a back door out to a 12' x 20' outside run. The fencing is 5' no climb with double fencing in between where I might put stallions.

Barn%20074a.jpg

This is a view down the center isle from the front of the barn. The entire flooring of the barn is cement with rubber matts in each stall and the grooming area. Stalls are 12' x 12' with a 16' raised center isle. There are 8 stalls with the front right stall open in the front for grooming, tack and feed. There is a back door to each stall with a fenced area outside. I also have a fenced area outside the grooming stall in case I want to put a horse out there.

Raised center isles are important here because of our high heat in the summer. We do often have a breeze here and the barn is set so it would normally go in the front and out the back and sides. The center isle is 16'. I was told had I put in a 12' isle I would have later wished I had put in a wider one. There is plenty of room to move around in there. The floor was stamped to give it some character.

I had skylights put over each stall and continuing over the raised center isle. It sure makes it bright inside with no lights on.

Barn%20086a.jpg

Each stall has a feeder door from the center isle and a feeder inside in the corner.

Barn%20069a.jpg

This is a view from the center isle through a feeder door. Although they were meant for placing feed in the stalls without going in they are great for minis to see out. Say hello to HHH's Redi or Not.

Barn%20079a.jpg

Although not really a part of the barn, here is my guest seating area. I bought it at a dog show and had the top back slot changed from a dog to a horse cutout. The cutout is of Miss Kentucky.

Barn%20073a.jpg

I finally got my ideal barn finished in the middle of February of this year. The quality and construction of the barn is the best done by Royal Stall of Sanger, CA. This isn't actually my ideal barn that one would have cost a lot more.

This is a photo from across my driving track. Each stall has a back door out to a 12' x 20' outside run. The fencing is 5' no climb with double fencing in between where I might put stallions.

Barn%20074a.jpg

This is a view down the center isle from the front of the barn. The entire flooring of the barn is cement with rubber matts in each stall and the grooming area. Stalls are 12' x 12' with a 16' raised center isle. There are 8 stalls with the front right stall open in the front for grooming, tack and feed. There is a back door to each stall with a fenced area outside. I also have a fenced area outside the grooming stall in case I want to put a horse out there.

Raised center isles are important here because of our high heat in the summer. We do often have a breeze here and the barn is set so it would normally go in the front and out the back and sides. The center isle is 16'. I was told had I put in a 12' isle I would have later wished I had put in a wider one. There is plenty of room to move around in there. The floor was stamped to give it some character.

I had skylights put over each stall and continuing over the raised center isle. It sure makes it bright inside with no lights on.

Barn%20086a.jpg

Each stall has a feeder door from the center isle and a feeder inside in the corner.

Barn%20069a.jpg

This is a view from the center isle through a feeder door. Although they were meant for placing feed in the stalls without going in they are great for minis to see out. Say hello to HHH's Redi or Not.

Barn%20079a.jpg

Although not really a part of the barn, here is my guest seating area. I bought it at a dog show and had the top back slot changed from a dog to a horse cutout. The cutout is of Miss Kentucky.

Barn%20073a.jpg
:new_shocked: wow

send this barn to us(haha)very nice.I would love to know about what one like this cost?

This isn't going to help you any, but my ideal barn would be a barn in general. Is barnless myself and I hate it!

Hey, I just noticed it is YOU, Sandy! LOL! Yes, you gots to get you a nice barn for those pretty little fellas, that is for sure!
default_yes.gif
:

Recognize a photo in my avatar, taken by none other than YOU? :D

Alladdin says Hi. :D

My barn is not fancy, but highly servicable and we built it ourselves.

The only thing I would add would be a bathroom! I really need a bathroom in the barn!

It's probably coming next year.

You might take a look at my diary of a barn page on my website for some ideas that

may help you out.

Best wishes!

BarnMay07.jpg

Neil, Amy and all,

Thanks for the generous help with YOUR ideas of the ideal barn! Gorgeous pictures Neil, thank you! So, you decided to stay with the standard size stall? Was it because your builder did not make smaller stalls or do you just like the extra room? We have 12 x 12 here at home now, but I was wondering it we could save on bedding AND squeeze more horses into the same size barn. We will be building a 6 stall barn but will use one stall space for an office/tack/cart room and another for feed/bedding. That leaves room for 4 stalls, one for the big horse, 3/6 for minis depending on the size of the stalls.

I like your little runs. That way the guys can get outside without haltering to go to a pasture. Then we will have pasture beyond that so we can open gates and everyone (except the big horse of course) can join each other.

Even after you build, you are still thinking of things you would have done different, I am sure. Plan, plan, plan.

Have a nice weekend all........mine will be my first one home in about 5 weeks........with being new to breed shows, showing in my first CDE and family camping!

Sandy

Gorgeous barns, Neil and Marty!

In case it helps anyone just needing a "simple" barn, here are two of mine. I am for sure, we won't be making anyone jealous with the pictures :bgrin H has built me several barns like this, and will be building 2-3 more. The stalls in them are 12x8. He just built them like "free style" with no plans. Pole barn style. The oldest one has been up almost 10 years (that's the two stall one pictured)

Three%20Stall%20Barn%20--%2011132005%20--%20006.jpg

Two%20Stall%20Barn%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20007.jpg

Inside one just as it was finished:

Rafters%20--%2011132005%20--%20004.jpg

I am really enjoying all these barn ideas......

I'm pouring over everything to get ideas

on how to structure the inside of the big old

barn at our new place.....

Sandy, I don't know if you have seen on the

part of the Forum, called 'Best of the Forum'

there is a saved topic in there on barns, too.

[SIZE=14pt]My ideal barn is pretty much like Neal's. The onlt differance would be I would have slotted petitions between the horses, add a indoor arena, a bathroom, wash stall, tack room/feedroom and I'd be set. It would have to have about 20 satalls for my minis, and our boarders. My cousin and I are hopeing to get together a game plan and have our own boarding barn with lessons.[/SIZE]

Christy

Thanks for the generous help with YOUR ideas of the ideal barn! Gorgeous pictures Neil, thank you! So, you decided to stay with the standard size stall? Was it because your builder did not make smaller stalls or do you just like the extra room? We have 12 x 12 here at home now, but I was wondering it we could save on bedding AND squeeze more horses into the same size barn. We will be building a 6 stall barn but will use one stall space for an office/tack/cart room and another for feed/bedding. That leaves room for 4 stalls, one for the big horse, 3/6 for minis depending on the size of the stalls.

I like your little runs. That way the guys can get outside without haltering to go to a pasture. Then we will have pasture beyond that so we can open gates and everyone (except the big horse of course) can join each other.

Even after you build, you are still thinking of things you would have done different, I am sure. Plan, plan, plan.
I did a lot of thinking before I had this one built.

The stalls are 12' x 12' for resale value. The builder would have built any size or shape that I wanted. I'm no spring chicken so some day I will have to sell this place and full sized stalls would sell better. Because of the size I can put more than one horse in a stall. The back left stall has two yearling fillies in it. The outside area for all stalls is 12' x 20' except for the one with the two fillies and it is 20'x 32' The center isle is 16'. A lot of barns that I've looked at have 12' ones. Ther extra four foot makes a lot of difference.

My original plan had the front left stall being an office and the inner walls would have been oak. It also had a 12' x 40' slab of cement across the front with some kind of a cover over it for lounging. I ended up putting rock out there and need to have some more hauled in. I am also thinking about some covers that will be 12' x 12' over the rock in front of the barn on either side of the center isle.

I'd like to think that I have a life other than the horses and didn't want to have to walk 8 horses in and out twice a day and I didn't want them in closed stalls with little ventliation and view. My design provides good ventilation and is arranged so they can go outside and see each other and with the feeder doors in the center isle they can look out at each other. I did put double wiring in the runouts between stallions.

Because the entire floor is cement and the stalls are fully matted I only put in about half a bale of shavings in each stall and it is in the corner. I find that they keep their stalls clean and only use the shavings in the corner. The stalls stay very clean except for the two fillies who have no sence of neatness and cleanlyness. They go inside and where ever they want. They are being moved out soon. I find that stallions are much neater than most mares.

All of the stalls are divided by full walls that go up to the ceiling. I like this and is isn't a problem with the horses since they can see each other when they go outside. It makes it better when you want to isolate a horse with the back door closed . I also requested horizontal bars across the front. It make it easier to see into the stalls than the vertical ones.

My front right stall is for feed, storage and grooming. My two carts are standing up in the back of the center isle. One of them shows in one of the photos. I originally planned to bathe in that stall but so far have been doing it out in front of the barn. I might do it inside in the winter when it is cold.

Latest posts

Back