Your average hay price?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everybody!!! Please ad your state to your signature...Please please please? I'm reading about hay prices but lots of you don't have your location in your signature.

Here, I just paid 7.50 for gorgeous blue stem prairie hay...got 24 bales which is all I can store and that should last me a month...I hope. There won't be any more after that. It really bothers me to have to keep switching hay on my horses....every load is just whatever i can find :no:

This time of year I shouldn't be feeding ANY hay! The mares would be FAT on pasture. Now our pasture is DIRT! I'm keeping as many horses as I can on dry lot hoping with this little rain we just got some of the bermuda will start to recover.

Charlotte

We're leaving on a trip to FL tomorrow, to deliver a horse. I've got an empty trailer coming back, so I'm going to try to find some good hay to bring back with me!!! Here in OK, even the "crappy" hay is expensive, and the good stuff is hard to find. No one wants to sell their hay this year, and I can't blame them.

I just got some hay. It was around $7 a bale. Had to go quite a ways to get it, but very GOOD hay.

Also wanted to say, at the beginning of Spring this year it was $10, so its gone down somewhat. Just hope we get some rain when we get some hay for Spring next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in CT and just had my hay man bring me 250 bales of grass hay at $4.00 a bale. Last year he charged me $4.50 a bale so it had come down as there is plenty of hay with all our early rain.

I just found some of the best 2nd cutting alfalfa I have seen in YEARS it broke down to about 4.50 a bale for avg 75 lb bales. I also from the same farm got for 4 bucks a bale alfalfa/oat hay and it to is WONDERFUL I will be buying from these guys for years to come. I am in ID

I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea for people who live in a same general area, where there is no decent hay available, to band together and buy a semi trailer load and have it trucked in????

If enough people got together to share the cost, wouldn't it be worth it? Just brain-storming here........

MA

Grass hay is being quoted at $8.50-8.95/bale, small 'square' bales-and that's before sales tax, which will add around $.50-$.57/bale--and without delivery-around here-and is hard to get, with no guarantee of good quality!! :new_shocked: Alfalfa is a bit less, but higher than it has ever been...

You all who live where you can get good hay for those $2-$4 or so per bale prices-thank the powers that be---you may end up being the only people who can keep on owning your horses...

We have had LOTS of rain here since the end of June(after a year of NO moisture, summer OR winter)-I will be able to graze my horses a BIT, which should help a BIT, but the future for me being able to keep all of them looks bleak, if these high prices continue(can you say,'trickle down of the fuel prices'? Which, BTW, our illustrious government has managed to LEAVE OUT of the equation when figuring the inflation rate, so that everything will 'look' rosy, when it is NOT!) Business as usual, for the government.....depressing, too.

Margo

Well I need to add that the 4-5 heck even 6 bucks a bale is a HUGE bargin. I am from So Cal and there (and this was over 5 years ago) a bale of good grass hay was 19-20 bucks- a bale of decent alfalfa hay.. 12-14 bucks granted these were 100 lb bales but still.. So I know what it is like to pay alot for hay I fed alot of pellets to help counter act some of that cost.

Grass hay is being quoted at $8.50-8.95/bale, small 'square' bales-and that's before sales tax, which will add around $.50-$.57/bale--and without delivery-around here-and is hard to get, with no guarantee of good quality!! :new_shocked: Alfalfa is a bit less, but higher than it has ever been...

You all who live where you can get good hay for those $2-$4 or so per bale prices-thank the powers that be---you may end up being the only people who can keep on owning your horses...

We have had LOTS of rain here since the end of June(after a year of NO moisture, summer OR winter)-I will be able to graze my horses a BIT, which should help a BIT, but the future for me being able to keep all of them looks bleak, if these high prices continue(can you say,'trickle down of the fuel prices'? Which, BTW, our illustrious government has managed to LEAVE OUT of the equation when figuring the inflation rate, so that everything will 'look' rosy, when it is NOT!) Business as usual, for the government.....depressing, too.

Margo
Margo,

I have a friend up here about 11 miles north of Cortez that has grass/ alfalfa mix for 4.50 a bale. Email me if you'd like her number.

[email protected]

Joy Ince

I feed T & A and it is about $9.50 a bale. I can't seem to find orchard here in SW Florida. Does anybody live around here and gets better hay (orchard) than T & A for mini's? Has anybody have problems feeding T & A?

I hate to sound stupid....... But do you mean Timothy/ Alfalfa?

The only T&A I know of does not pertain to hay!! :lol:

Yesterday, we got up at 5:30am to drive from Christoval, Texas 5 1/2 hrs to Hempstead,Tx to purchase fresh cut hay. We got 50 bales for $5.50 a bale, they had 4000 +in the barn .... we are happy with the purchase, it should last us 5 + months for 9 miniatures. The guy said he had a lady come get 600 bales to take back to Ft Worth area.

3.00 to 3.50 for beautiful coastal here in Eastern NC. My hay guy is super picky about moisture content, no mold here!
default_smile.png
I don't feed alfalfa, but it's about 12.50 around here.

Central Pennsylvania here, I paid 3.50 for good quality orchard grass. Bought 500 bale and they bring and stack it in my barn!!! bales weigh about 45 pounds a piece

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Michigan I am paying $2.00 for a square bale (65-70lbs) of orchard with a little clover in it. Last year it was only $1.50. Because of all the rain we've had some people have only gotten one cutting because the fields wouldn't dry up. My supplier is only 4 miles away which is nice too since I can only store around 50 bales at a time. He holds them for me and I go pick them up about every 3-4 months.

I use to get my hay from the feed store and was paying anywhere between $3.50-$4.75 a bale (same size as above). It had too much alfalfa in it though and was very stemy.

Here in Centrel Washington I am paying 125.00 a ton ,for nice grass/alfalfa mix ,Jody

I'm sooooooooo jelous of ya'll who only pay $3.000$5.00 a bale- haven't seen kind of prices for 3 years around here! joy from SanAntonio Texas

Latest posts

Back