Yearling In Obstacle???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minishowgirl

Reaction score
Im debating if I should put my yearling mini in obstacle at halter this weekend. Shes a really good girl she backs, does the 360 in the box, weaves, walks over ANYTHING, and ground ties. But she doesnt side pass without you touching her and trotting over poles she hits them. I wouldnt be competitive with her I just want to get her out there. But I DONT want to overwhelm her. What are your thaughts on it?? Its her second show the first time we did halter classes. Should I or not???

Back in the 90's I showed a yearling in obstacle and she was our area champion, I would work on the sidepass though if you want to win, and also work with the hoola hoop and the bridge that acts like a teeter tooter. If you don't have the time to get her totally prepared, go for it anyway, at least you will get her in ther ring, just don't push her, and if you get DQ'd take her out and praise her anyway for what she did do. At this age they want to please, just don't push them or confuse them, take it slow and steady! Good luck, have fun and love her!

Yep unless it says in the rules that you can touch them you will be DQ'd. I know in A/R you cannot touch them. So it's basically up to you. When my boy was a yearling and he was my first one ever to train for halter obstacle he did great, he even did better then some of the older horses. If she has the right mind set to do it then go for it. I would just really work on that side pass. I wouldn't worry so much if she taps the poles your seasoned obstacle horses some do that, and that includes my boy, shoot he jumped the poles at one Nationals lol.

We were at an open show this weekend and they had an age minimum on in-hand obstacle of 3 years old. Our 2 year old that's done very well in obstacle at other shows was not able to show in that class. Check and see if there is an age minimum before you sign up (and pay!) for the class.

I'd take her in the class if you've been practicing for it. If she doesn't successfully navigate an obstacle after a period of time, the judge or steward will probably tell you to move on to the next one. No one will expect a yearling to be as competative as a seasoned horse, but she'll get it in time! For the side-pass, go ahead and touch her if you have to - sure, it's not correct and you may be DQ'd, but as far as she's concerned, you're still training her. Don't worry about touching the trot poles, either - even the seasoned horses do it sometimes. Through it all, praise her a lot - even for a try - and make it a positive experience for her. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Know the rules where you are showing. Pinto allows any age in trail (halter obstacle) so we often have yearlings in the class and they get a good start on lifetime points that way. In Pinto, you CAN touch them for the sidepass, which makes it easier for the yearlings. I say as long as the rules allow it, enter it, see how it goes, and if she gets flustered by anything, just withdraw.

Your not supposed to touch them but ive touched my mini to side pass before and placed second. I just push them over with my knee. She catches onto things really quick so im not worried about her learning it. My gelding is going to be in there so not trying to win with her. Ive only done obstacle once with her for practice. That was today and she was good but she doesnt like to look at things. Heck I know 8 year old minis who have been handled from day 1 that dont ground tie. Shes got that down. I think ill try it if theres no jump in it. Maybe if im lucky there wont be a side pass either!
default_wink.png

I started my mare as a yearling in obstacle halter. She had her HOF by the end of her third year. She was that good - still is.

There is no good reason that you shouldn't try for it. I've never heard of an age limit in obstacle unless some show is using jumps in their class (which is not legal in AMHR).

If theres a jump ill just go around it my horses legs arent worth a ribbon.

Latest posts

Back