Yearling filly has an odd discharge...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwater Farm

Reaction score
My yearling filly has an odd discharge under her tail. She has had it since I got her in Feb. I thought at first it may have been a high protien feed she was getting and her urine was staining the underside of her tail. She is on a different feed, not high in protien, and still has this discharge under her tail. She does not have diarrhea, I have checked her urine and water intake, urine is almost clear most of the time and she picks her tail up when she pees anyways. This discharge is just on the underside of her tail. If I dont wash it every few days it will start to burn her and leave a redness on her dock. It almost lookes like a mare in heat but she has no discharge from her vulva at all (and she's a yearling). She is completely normal in all other ways, no fever etc. When I first brought her home it was obvious that it had never been cleaned and she was starting to lose tail hair. I have been trying to keep it clean and put a little A&D ointment on it if it gets a rash. I just want to know if anyone would know the cause of this. I am going to have my vet look at it next time I take her for shots. Thanks ya'll and I included a picture:

sapphiretail.jpg

The odd thing is it's not coming from her tail! I dont know where it's coming from! Once I wash it her tail looks fine. I wash it every 2-3 days to keep it from burning her and as long as I keep up with that she's ok but I want to know where it's coming from in the first place? It has to be either urine or vulva related although I am not seeing the evidence on the outside of the vulva, it doesnt look red or inflammed nor is it tender or painful. I'm really stumped!

I would try bandaging her tail for a few hours just to be sure it isn't there, this way when the vet comes you can exclude the tail.

Good luck

looks like poop to me. HOwever, just because she is a yearling doesnt mean she isnt cycling. It could very well be from being in heat.

might seem like an odd question but what angle is her vulva? is it straight or angled ? a straight vulva will drain clean whereas an angled vulva might not , there could be a drip of urine collecting there

Last edited by a moderator:
Her vulva looks pretty straight to me. It does look like a heat cycle although this would mean she has been in heat since before February when I got her as this is a constant occurance that I have to wash every few days. It has to be related to her urine some how. Do you have any ideas as to how I could prevent it? Should I have her urine tested for something?

Latest posts

Back