Wry nose (laterally deviated rostral maxilla)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever seen a horse with a wry nose?

• Yes, I have seen one or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I have one (or personally know someone that has one)

• No, I have never seen one but I have heard of this.

• No, I have never even heard of this

• Total voters

Bluerocket

Reaction score
I am thinking about writing an article for AMHA and AMHR regarding Wry Nose in miniatures.

Wry nose is "laterally deviated rostral maxilla"

The jury is still out as to whether it is heritable or a development from malposition in utero. Not enough research has been done to determine this. Wry nose occurs in all mammals (even people).

What does it look like? The upper jaw is canted sideways - so some of the teeth in the upper jaw don't match up with lower teeth. This can either be SEVERE or mild or something inbetween. This link has a photo on it of a severe case (in a full size horse). http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=2944&dpt=4

I have a horse with this "cosmetic blemish/defect" -- his is a mild deviation. He can eat normally and breathes just fine. He will be gelded as soon as he has all his equipment (only one down so far). He will even be ok as a driving horse as his teeth/jaw are fine up to just past the point where the bit rests. He can trot in the round pen for 30 minutes without problems with his respiratory system.

It is my intention to show pictures and "inform" people of this blemish/defect.

If you have a horse with this - and would like to contribute - please PM me or email me at [email protected] -- for those who wish to remain anonymous (and their horses anonymous) I will respect this.

Please note, I am NOT an expert at all -- not a scientist, not in the medical/vet profession at all - I am just wanting to bring this to the attention of our miniature horse breeders -- I intend to interview some of the local vets about their opinions - and do other pertinent research.

Thanks

JJay

I have a mare with this condition. She was in a gentlemans herd, that I bought out the entire herd last year.

He offered to have her humanely destroyed if I did not wish to purchase her too, as I was getting his whole herd. Her name is "crooked nose", as we call her. She is coming 12 years old and I consider her condition on the worse end of the spectrum. SHe was bred last year when i got her, and has been every year as far as I know. I owned her dam, from years back, and the dam is a 24 year old mare, that has had 19 consecutive foals for him, myself, and now her new owners. The dam has never , ever, had any dwarf foals, and according to crookeds previous owner, neither has she. I have three of her half sisters, and one full sister.

This year, she foaled an awesome tiny red filly, perfect in all ways, and although I did not breed her back ( due to too many horses and trying to have less foals) , I would not be afraid to. I have sometimes wondered why the registry had no problems registering her, when I have seen horses they have turned down. I think the proof is in the pudding, all her foals were the first to sell, according to her previous owner. Many people who know me, know Crooked nose. I dont try to hide her, nor do I think there is anything genetically wrong with her. Phenotype maybe, genotype, no.

Now saying that, everyone who comes here, asks me what is wrong with that horse, and the only answer I have is , "nothing, why?"

This mare did NOT ask to be born that way, and I truly believe that it is not hereditable.

We had one born, was able to raise her to weaning but then she developed ulcers and was humanely euthanized. She is now part of Carl Mitz's display as we found out after he harvested the skull that she also had an undersized jaw.

It was so sad, she was a lovely buckskin with good conformation and very nice trot. I had thought to keep her and drive her but it was not to be. We called her Snert.

We are calling ours "Catcher in the Wry" (aka Junior).

He has lovely conformation and quite a nice trot - his nose just looks like he is smirking - you can always see a bit of his teeth on his right side.

He is a dark bay/brown (or possibly black) so it is hard to take pictures of his nose.

JJay

I REALLY WISH CARL MITZ HAD THE TIME TO GET ONTO THE FORUM. WE ATTENDED ONE OF HIS SEMINARS AND IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY HE SAID" THAT IF YOU CATCH THEM EARLY ENOUGH WHEN BORN AND START MANUALLY TURNING THEIR NOSE OFF AND ON THAT SOMETIMES YOU CAN CORRECT THIS". A LOT OF TIMES IT IS FROM LAYING WRONG AND THERE NOSE IS STILL SOFT CARTLIDGE. ANYONE ELSE THAT HAS ATTENDED OR HEARD THIS FROM CARL OR ANYONE ELSE, PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I HEARD WRONG, OR IF NOT PROPERLY WRITTEN. (THANKS)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds fascinating. We got him at 4 mos old - so I am sure it was too late by then. He has had dental work done a few times already - and will be done again soon.

Please forgive my ignorance - but who is Carl Mitz? Please educate me.

JJ

Carl is an equine dentist well known in the miniature industry here.

I have not been to his seminars but have seen his display at World and the Miniature Event Sale.

It is quite impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
YEP, CARL IS AN EQUINE DENTIST THAT SPECIALIZES IN MINIATURES AND HE HAS ONE HECK OF A DISPLAY OF SKULLS AND THE TEETH OF MINIS AND PROBLEMS. HE IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND SOMETIMES IT IS VERY VERY HARD TO GET HIM TO COME TO YOUR PLACE BECAUSE HE IS SO BUSY. I THINK HE HAS A HARD TIME GETTING BACK TO HIS FAMILY IN TEXAS, HE TRAVELS QUITE A BIT. SHHHHH - HE IS SUPPOSE TO BE IN INDIANA IN OCTOBER.

I have seen one in person (knew the person she belonged to) and if I looked, might be able to find the owner as I don't know if they participate in this Forum. I had to look up this thread as I missed it while we were gone getting the photos done over the weekend.

Personally, I would not use one as breeding stock though I have heard they are "ok" for that, I just don't feel like I would want to chance it.

That said, I knew the filly's dam, sire, and many half siblings personally or saw them and none had this defect.

She looked pretty off as a baby, so I wonder how she looks nowadays if she is still around. Interesting subject though I think due to how rare it is, also the fact that noone wants to admit to something that might bring a negative light on their stock/farm, it might be pretty hard to sell as an article though I would read it. I do think it is a very worthy subject, just saying it's "kind of" rare from what I gather.

default_smile.png

Liz M.

I would suggest that any article on wry nose should include an interview with Carl Mitz. From what I have heard he has some excellent information on it.

Latest posts

Back