Would there be interest with NSPR if offered at Mini Nationals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabtree Farm

Reaction score
I was wondering if the NSPR was offered at mini nationals, would people be interested in showing in it? This would allow minis that have at least one registered mini parent to be registered. It is an avenue for those minis that would not be able to be registered, due to the fact both parents are not registered to be able to show?

Not trying to start a debate, but curious to see if there is interest in the new division.

Although there isn't any real hard rule, it is considered a Congress class - hmmmm?!

I think these classes are for Congress but not knowing too much about it if they offered say 38" and under performance divisions at Nationals I don't know. I don't think the NSPR division is that popular enough especially with the miniatures to beable to offer it at a National show. I be curious to know how popular it is for like registrations with the ponies and miniatures. What all NSPR classes do they offer at Congress? You just don't hear alot about this divison, but I think if there was more interest it could go far IMO.

Here is the link from ASPC/AMHR's website.

http://www.shetlandminiature.com/national_show.asp

As long as one parent is a registered AMHR or ASPC or NSPR with dna confirming the offspring, then resulting offspring could be registered. This is a performance division and the offspring can not mature over 14.2 hands maximum. There are a lot of minis that are being ridden and that is where this division would offer competition.

There is a lot of mini crosses out there that either both parents are not registered or maybe they have gone over 38 inches and are being put under saddle as youth mounts. This opens up for a potentially lucrative division. Though currently only three classes are offered, it may draw some interest.

Although there isn't any real hard rule, it is considered a Congress class - hmmmm?!
One parent could be AMHR, so why not offer it at mini nationals? What if a mini was crossed with an arabian or TWH or a Halflinger?

Again this could make a lucrative division for over ponies, and for a sellers' perspective, a division to have a papered mini, than a grade one. And for someone who may have an over AMHR mini at home that rides and drives, that is an extra entry at Nationals to take.

Something to think about.

Since this sounds more suitable towards ponies and that includes riding classes which the shetlands have available and it is after all called National Show Pony I think it is more suitable at Congress then it would be for Nationals. There is so many classes offered at Nationals already if we need to add anymore it should benefit AMHR. Considering Congress needs more ponies and maybe these type of classes would gain more interest so will the Congress show. I don't think there is much need for NSPR classes at AMHR Nationals.

Since the NSPR is technically a pony registry--even though an NSPR pony can have one AMHR parent--the intention of the division was for taller ponies, created by breeding a Shetland or Mini to a bigger horse and getting a pony that is in the bigger size range for ponies. And if it is a pony, over 38", then I suspect it will fit in better at Congress than at Nationals. A class of 13 to 14 hh ponies would be somewhat out of place at Nationals and given what the registry requirements are I'm not sure it would be appropriate to limit the size for the Nationals classes to 38" and under.

I think it would be better to start offering the division at the local shows--that is where you would be more likely to get some entries, as on the local level there are surely people who have horses that are AMHR x grade. They cannot show AMHR but may enjoy bringing their "ponies" and taking part in the local shows.

I'm not sure why local shows don't offer the NSPR division? Is there no provision for it in the rule book (I admit I haven't paid a lot of attention to that division) or do the show committees just not want to bother with it, or is it simply that there is no interest in the division, or at least no one has bothered to ask the shows to add the division into their class list?

You can ask a show committee, club or show secretary(manager) to add the classes. There was some showing in Area VI a couple years ago, but lately just the driving classes, not the riding classes. NSPR is performance only right now.

My thoughts on the NSPR division is it is under sold right now. There is a nice market for good ponies who can do hunter/jumper and to me for the classes offered - this is the division that could break us into that market better.

To me, in order to be able to show at AMHR Nationals the NSPR pony/horse would have to measure under 38" just like all the other competitors -- I think it is a great idea, provided the horses measure in the correct division.

Stac

To me, in order to be able to show at AMHR Nationals the NSPR pony/horse would have to measure under 38" just like all the other competitors -- I think it is a great idea, provided the horses measure in the correct division.

Stac
NSPR is measured to the top of the wither. Would you say they had to be 40 inches or less to show with one AMHR parent or have current AMHR papers?

What about B minis that grew over the 38 inches? Perhaps an A and B division of ASPR?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, call me dumb, but I would think that to show at an AMHR show, that the pony would have to be measured like all the others - 38" or less at the last hair of the mane - with one parent carrying AMHR papers & DNA to prove it.

Stacy

Well, call me dumb, but I would think that to show at an AMHR show, that the pony would have to be measured like all the others - 38" or less at the last hair of the mane - with one parent carrying AMHR papers & DNA to prove it.

Stacy
This is not an AMHR division, it is a separate division all together. The question was would there be interest in the NSPR division (classes) to be held at the same time/facility as the mini nationals. It iis simply three classes: english riding, western riding and a driving class (walk, trot, working trot, strong trot, halt for 30 seconds, reverse, and a back).

Any animal that would show NSPR would most likely not show any other class at mini nationals. But there may be a few under 38 inch minis that show at mini nationals who would get registered as NSPR to compete. As long as one parent is AMHR registered and you must be DNA'ed (parent verified) to be registered NSPR.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not an AMHR division, it is a separate division all together. The question was would there be interest in the NSPR division (classes) to be held at the same time/facility as the mini nationals. It iis simply three classes: english riding, western riding and a driving class (walk, trot, working trot, strong trot, halt for 30 seconds, reverse, and a back).
I think to get people interested you cannot ask people to pay the same fees as you would for a National class. IMO these classes need to be brought to attention to the local shows. I know someone who would be very interested as her kid can ride these minis but he always bombs in leadline because they always judge it as a costume class.

Again I still think tho that since this is a pony registry it should stay at Congress. I would like to see AMHR benefiting by possibly adding more classes for the miniatures not for these type of classes. The only way I can see it work is like MountainMeadows said they must be measured 38" and under to show at AMHR Nationals.

If NSPR Classes were offered at either Nationals or Congress I would definitely show.

I have a wonderful wonderful Curly who is also registered NSPR.

Skipper2010.jpg

And currently have 2 AMHR mares in foal to him.

And so their foals would be eligible as well.

No I would not want these classes added to AMHR Nationals for all the reasons stated above. They belong at Congress as they are described in th rule book as thus:

"Traditionally children progress from a lead line Shetland to a larger pony>"

These are ponies and would be perfect for Congress. It may increase popularity having a nice sized pony for kids to ride.

I am not sure it should always be on the class list for Nationals but hey 3 classes one year...for a much larger audience then at Congress - it might just be a way to get more attention to the division and let people know what it really is maybe it is not such a bad idea for a one time thing

And of course as a one time thing to showcase and get more attention to the division of the registry there should be the division height limits not AMHR height limits again with the intent of getting more attention and showing what this registry is all about

Please remember - NSPR classes are performance only - driving and ridden hunter/jumper.

You know, I keep going back to: If a horse is going to show at AMHR Nationals then it SHOULD measure under 38" - period. I understand the need to showcase a pony and I do agree that there is a pretty good acceptance/need for this type/size of pony -- but for the AMHR NATIONAL show all the horses should measure 38" & Under. The NSPR pony is already able to show at Congress and at the local shows (provided show management offers it). If the pony is a pinto, then it is eligible to show in PINTO shows, so actually there are several places where the pony can be showcased. That said, I would whole heartily agree to have the classes added at AMHR Nationals IF the pony was within the legal height limit of AMHR and the DNA proved that one parent was AMHR registered.

Latest posts

Back