Would there be interest with NSPR if offered at Mini Nationals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if you do that, then we have a split division between Congress and Nationals - which lends not quite to the APSC/AMHR division, but almost.

Since it is not a split height division currently and all NSPR ponies show in the same classes, it would maybe defeat the purpose and it would take several years to build it up enough to call for such a division.

You know, I keep going back to: If a horse is going to show at AMHR Nationals then it SHOULD measure under 38" - period. I understand the need to showcase a pony and I do agree that there is a pretty good acceptance/need for this type/size of pony -- but for the AMHR NATIONAL show all the horses should measure 38" & Under. The NSPR pony is already able to show at Congress and at the local shows (provided show management offers it). If the pony is a pinto, then it is eligible to show in PINTO shows, so actually there are several places where the pony can be showcased. That said, I would whole heartily agree to have the classes added at AMHR Nationals IF the pony was within the legal height limit of AMHR and the DNA proved that one parent was AMHR registered.
But it is not a AMHR class. It is a separate registry that embraces AMHR crosses.

And again adding pony classes does not benefit a mini national show and thats my opinion. If we want to add riding classes for miniatures then by all means put in a rule proposal and add AMHR 7 and under Wester/English-Walk, Walk/Trot classes. I'm not at all against riding classes for the miniatures. Like I said before my friends 5 year old can ride his 37" mare with no problems, like a regular riding horse but yet he doesn't do well in leadline cause its all judged as a costume class and it shouldn't be but it is.

What I am against is adding Pony classes to our AMHR National show. There is no need for it and it seems like when we were asking to add more miniature classes everyone was against it cause it makes the show longer. If we add anymore classes to our National show it should only be AMHR classes. Period.

The NSPR division has its place. I'm not at all against it. I'm all for it, but it should stay at Congress and maybe perhaps Congress can get some extra attention for other members out there that have NSPR ponies. I understand that there are Miniature Horses registered in NSPR but you know what Nationals has the numbers, always gets it seems atleast 1500 horses each year. Congress needs those numbers, let those classes be avilable to Congress, and they need to be more available to local shows as well.

Tina

I know you know how I feel
default_smile.png
The NSPR IMO has no place at AMHR Nationals. Its just not what this division was supposed to be. It really was meant for larger 13-14 H ponies.

While I usually agree with you I have to disagree on this one.

Kay

Personally I think that the only decision to be made is if NSPR classes should or should not be added to AMHR Nationals. If they were to be added then I think they should be added according to the existing rules—an NSPR pony is an NSPR pony, regardless of whether it has an AMHR or an ASPC parent, and regardless of what size it is. If Nationals were to offer NSPR classes then they would be open to NSPR ponies, period. No size limits other than the maximum 14.2 hh specified by the registry. As someone already said, the NSPR division is not a part of AMHR, it is a separate division of the parent registry.

Normally I would say that NSPR classes should be added to Nationals, even though that really doesn't go along with the original intention of the division. After all, the division is open to half AMHR and even AMHR registered horses--and generally in other breeds the national shows do have classes for horses that have only one registered parent....the Arabians are one of the best examples, but they aren't the only one. They have classes for the partbred Arabians--and they don't restrict it--those partbred Arabians might be half Saddlebred and look it, but they still get to show as partbred Arabians. Perhaps the bottom line is that AMHR people really do not embrace the NSPR. NSPR is a place to register some otherwise non-registerable miniatures (i.e. those that are too tall for AMHR or those that have one parent that isn’t AMHR registered) and when NSPR was put in place for the half Shetlands, AMHR people wanted the same opportunity so NSPR was opened to horses of AMHR parentage as well. But, as soon as they are NSPR registered they are no longer anything to do with AMHR and therefore aren't to be included. That's why I said earlier that I think the division would be better left at Congress and the local shows that want to add it. IMO Congress is the best place for exhibitors that want to show NSPR and the best place to promote that division.

I'm inclined to think that NSPR should have been left just for ponies that have one ASPC parent, and not bothered with opening it up to AMHR. The intent was to promote larger Shetland bred riding/driving ponies and the registry should have just stuck with that plan.

I am not sure why people think that a smaller pony 10-11 hands is not going to be competitive in a hunter hack class? There are short stirrup ponies of this size competing all over this country and others.

The intent of NSPR was simply to allow kids who have outgrown minis and Shetlands to have a way to stay in our registry. Simple as that..

There was small adults who wanted to ride their larger Shetlands it was tried one year at Congress and after some pretty mean comments that stopped real quick.

I am not sure where classes need to be Congress or Nationals but do believe we really need to educate the registry members many still have no idea this division even exists.

Many crossed Hackneys and minis prior to hardshipping ending and some of those resulting ponies would fit very well in this division.

I have heard this is not what the NSPR was created for or this or that wont be competitive with less then 10 horses competiting in the country - I do not think the issue should be will they be competitive as much as it should be lets get more people out there understanding the possibiites and having fun with their minis- ponies or crosses.

No different then the ASPR which now allows anything ASPC registered to cross register- so Classics- Foundations - over size for their divisions or not. It was not what it started out to do but it will and has gotten more ponies into that division and is allowing it to grow.

Latest posts

Back