Wi. people -

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmycritters

Reaction score
Just wanted to start another fun thread - Wi. folks please respond! Tell us about your farm, your mini's, how you got started ect. Lets have some fun!
aktion033.gif

OK - I go first! I bought my home and three acres about nine years ago. The horses ( big guys ) came right

away, after all I had to bring them up from down south. Hubby built a lean too for the big guys and things began to get converted this summer for the littles...The two mares now have a nice little converted chicken coup and the big guys ( a horse, a mini donk and a mini stallion ) have the lean too on the other side of the property. Oh how I wish that I had a nice old barn ( yes - I LOVE the old barns ) and lots of land - but that is not to be - at least not in this life time!!
wacko.gif
Lori
saludando.gif

I would be careful with the converted chicken coup. We had a friend that did that, he ended up loseing his draft crosses to salmanila after that.

I dont really have a farm persay, but her is my aunts place. www.fantasycorral.com

I am in southern WI. I saw my first mini at the Mid West Horse Fair in 1981. Bought my first in 83 and didn't have a farm so I kept her at my father-in-laws place. I didn't get live where my horses lived until 92. I got remarried a little over a year ago and moved to my husbands farm. Now I have almost my dream farm, a little more land would make it perfect. I have 9 stalls in a heated barn, 10 stalls in my "old" barn, an indoor arena, and 3 pastures. I still don't have enough room.....lol.

Oh gosh Lori--here goes, we have 160 acres, a BIG old converted barn with miniature stalls on one side and standard stalls on the other. We also built a small barn (open type, but could hold 4 stalls) in our yearling pasture, last year. then we have a large run-in off the whole back side of our main barn. We have been on this farm for 33 years, and its located right next to a large resort area and lake (yes Lori--White Potato Lake!!) I had a stable in Mequon before moving up here, I grew up with Arabs and Saddlebreds, still have them, Bob was a draft horse man, so we have always had horses ..got into minis in 1997 and the little munchkins have just continued to grow and grow on us! We have made alot of new mini friends, in our area and have also started our Northern Lights Miniature Equine Club (horse and donkeys)

I'm in North-Central Wisconsin, pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I started in minis only a couple of years ago. I bought one then another then I was up to seven. I decided with my busy life (I have three boys in school with sports and stuff) that I just didn't have the time to devote to them all like I wanted so I've cut back to four. Of course I'm always looking and may end up with one more before the winter is over -- shhh don't tell my husband, bad me! We only have 5 acres too, and wish we had more land but that may just have to wait until later. I've always liked horses but never really rode much. A friend of mine got me started into minis. Of course I couldn't have any horses until I had my own place and could afford them myself (always wished I could have one growing up). Anyway minis are the perfect fit for me and my family. We love to pieces
wub.gif
!

Meadowridge - Where is Northern Lights Miniature Equine Club from?

HI Tobey, a group of friends got together this past summer and formed the club, since there was nothing in our immediate area, the closest was Green Bay. We are located in northeast Wisc. about 1 hour north of GB. Have you ever heard of Crivitz or know where it is?? We're not far from there. If you ever get down my way stop over..coffee is always on and there is usually someone over talking about horses, would love to have you visit! Where are you located? Corinne

Hi Corinne,

Maybe we'll just have to make a mini trip this summer and go and visit. Seems like there are more farms and shows over in that area. I'm over by Ladysmith, which is about 1 hour east of Rice Lake, or 1 1/2 hours north-east of Eau Claire. Nothing even close here. I have to drive an hour just to find a Wal-mart
wacko.gif

haha..I have a 1/2 hour drive just to find our shopping mall, which has a wal-mart. You have a pm.... Corinne

I have had miniature horses for about 13 years now. My interest of horses started very very young, and it started with riding..... but then with children and family life I had to put that on hold, that is when I started with minis. Now although I have the time~ with my children growing up~ riding is just not my thing anymore and I find the companionship of miniatures my passion....I will never be without a horse and these small equines are a perfect match for what I need and want a horse in my life.

I do have a draft and a QH that are both in retirement, ages 19 and 28. I adopted them from a equine rescue here in WI, the draft can be ridden and we have had her out on the trail a few times, but mostly they are here to happliy live out thier lives and be well cared for.

Then I have 5 minis, a 36.5" bay mare Feather....her 05 sorrel filly Lakota......32" sorrel&white pinto Sugar.....32" sorrel&white pinto Atti.......and a 31" bl&white pinto Comet. These gals are very FUN...sweet and sassy.

My farm is 40 acres with 3 little barns that are open at all times. Our farm also consists of our 4 dogs and our 29 chickens!

Take care

Terri

Frisky fields miniature horses and hobby farm

Hawkins, WI 54530

We just here moved this spring. We raised POAs when I was a kid & I've had big horses my entire life. I had a couple of big horses before we moved, but the place we bought only had 2 acres. I had to sell my big horses before the move, as I didn't feel it would be fair to them to be cooped up in a tiny 1 acre pasture. Anyhow, I didn't want to be completely without horses, so I "downsized" and bought 2 minis. We just love them. I now have 3. They're awesome for my daughter (she's 2 year old) to pet & play with and on our limited acerage, they're just perfect.

A month ago, though, the guy behind us offered to sell us 10 acres. We of course bought it. My daughter & I now each have a riding pony and we have the three minis. But I don't think I'll be going back to the big horses; I just love the sweet personality and of course the safety factor of owning minis as opposed to the larger horses. I'm hoping to train these guys to drive and maybe as my daughter gets older, we can do some parades & showing and get more involved with the mini "business". But for now they're great little pets & we love them.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back