Why Do People Keep Mediocre Horses as Stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This post has answered it's own question.

People keep breeding mediocre horses because they have convinced themselves that it is not the quality of the horse that makes the difference. It is either politics, publicity, show tricks, deceiving photography etc ... Instead we should just try improving our horses, strive to be succesfull without all that. It can be done. If you just take the easy way out you are doing you and your horses an injustice.

Flame away

Well said, andi. No flames here. We are all here for one reason - the horses. :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK guys time out, you must go check out my magificently mediocre herd sire on the main forum :bgrin

Hmmm... well I guess you coudl say the same of ANY photos... done by ANYONE. Equally - how often do we read - "these photos do not do him justice"... see? It works both ways.
Of course it does but besides the fact that the flip side of the coin is NOT in question I have never been disappointed by fact that a horse is better than it's photos.
default_wink.png
:

This post has answered it's own question.

People keep breeding mediocre horses because they have convinced themselves that it is not the quality of the horse that makes the difference. It is either politics, publicity, show tricks, deceiving photography etc ... Instead we should just try improving our horses, strive to be succesfull without all that. It can be done. If you just take the easy way out you are doing you and your horses an injustice.

Flame away
(preparing to get on a "high" horse here)

There IS politics in shows.

If publicity doesn't help why are the magazines filled with ads?

If there are no show tricks why doesn't my 2X AMHA Top Ten Stud look the same as he did when he came off the circuit?

If some photos are not meant to deceive why are they slanted so much?

I suppose I must be using these things as a "crutch".

Even though I still show and urge everyone else to do so.......

I do not begrudge the people who advertise in either magazine, actually think it's smart business sense......

I don't consider them "tricks" as much as knowledge amassed over the years to know how to do what to each horse to get them to look the best...........

Trick photography? No. Touched up photography? No. The knowledge to look at a horse see his/her best attribute and the skill to conceal it's weakest? Yes.

These things are not the boogie man they do exist and the more people try to say otherwise the more it looks like a "cover up". I feel these things wouldn't be "blamed" near as much as if people would admit to them.

I love the Liz photos, I buy into the whole fantasy and at 30 (well 30 something), married, three kids and bank note much of my fantasy life is dead. Horses do look different sweated, conditioned, clipped and set up, that should be an encouragement for someone to try those things not a detriment. Politics...well the best philosophy I have on that is $%!^ happens deal with it and move on.

My father forgot more things than I'll likely ever know but he did teach me a few things about the "inside" of horse business. Part of that was some horses win but are not worthy of the ribbon but the other 99% win because they are superior and are presented better.

I strive for a horse that is competitive in the ring, no matter the competition but I don't begrudge the person who doesn't have the same aspirations because at the end of the day my horses really don't care about my dreams but rather how well they are fed.

These things are not the boogie man they do exist and the more people try to say otherwise the more it looks like a "cover up". I feel these things wouldn't be "blamed" near as much as if people would admit to them.
Of course good handlers know how to bring out the best in their horses
default_yes.gif
: ... everyone admits/knows that... and such "tricks" are used in all breeds. I never thought there appeared to be a "cover-up" of any kind - either intended or implied (unless you get into the murky area of surgical alterations/liposuction). But all the tricks and assorted techniques cannot make a good horse great... or change the way he is put together when he is not set up and positioned... which is why I wish (although I acknowledge that it would take longer) that more attention was paid to movement in halter classes, form to function and all. A down and back and side-gait - like at dog shows... or even moving on a triangle - as Warmbloods are often shown in hand.

My father forgot more things than I'll likely ever know but he did teach me a few things about the "inside" of horse business. Part of that was some horses win but are not worthy of the ribbon but the other 99% win because they are superior and are presented better.
And your father was a very wise man.... IMHO.
default_yes.gif
:

One particular mare at our Liz photo shoot looks much better in person than in the photos (the old - "that photo does not do her justice" thing - see? :lol: ) - Doll hated the whole idea. She has never liked to be fussed over - and was not always showy in the ring as she pouted, so being brought in from the field and tidied up and bathed (disgusting!) and clipped (disgusting x 2) was bad enough - but when the show halter went on - that was it. Sulk. Pout. And no angle or lighting could hide the truth... a grey sulky mare who wanted This Nonsense To Stop - NOW! She considered her National Champion days to be far behind her. EARS forward? Fuhgeddabowdit. And not one of her photos showed anything other than a pouty, somewhat grouchy mare... oh well. This time - she won - no more beauty pageants for Doll... no more photo shoots - nothing. She made that very clear...
default_wink.png
: ... when even Liz's magic and skill could not transform her...

[SIZE=8pt]edited for annoying typos as usual... [/SIZE]

Oh dear, this post has completely turned into a screaming mud slinging yelling match- what happened to the topic that was started here???

I have a very small herd, I take my own photos- they are not retouched or have anything done with them. I also show because I enjoy it, and do not need to use any 'tricks' - however what does this have to do with the original post??

There are alot of people who will not stand there stallions as stud because they can get so much more money for a colt out of them verses what they are getting for a stud fee. Thus sending people to need there own stallions.

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

I was not going to post here, but decided - why not? While I originally bought my stallion to use as just that, I have been thinking about having him gelded for some time now. This thread really got me to seriously think about it. Lots of good points have been made. I have not had any foals yet, nor do I expect any this year. But I certainly plan on having my mare's bred - but no longer to my little stallion. He will be gelded and will remain here. I love the bajeebers out of him and figure he will make a great pet - heck he already is! If and when I have my girls bred, I want to be responsible about it. And there certainly are lots of beautiful quality stallions out there! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: :aktion033: :new_multi: :saludando:

[SIZE=12pt]Lori[/SIZE]

Whoa, I went on a tangent last night didn't I
default_blush.png
:

My point was simply that comparing Liz or other proffessional photos to most "do it yourself" photos is about the same as comapring your photos done at "Glamour Shots" to the photo of you taken at your Aunt Mildreds 80th Birthday. (how did that equate to 7 paragraphs last night)

Even though I would have preffered to go back and delete my post I thoughly enjoy sitting back and watching when other people make an @$$ out themselves so consider it my treat today. :new_tomato:

Even though I would have preffered to go back and delete my post I thoughly enjoy sitting back and watching when other people make an @$$ out themselves so consider it my treat today. :new_tomato:
LOL most of us have been there done that at one point or another :bgrin

Love your post sdmini, I think we all have that same feeling once in a while.
default_smile.png

If it makes you feel better my post was ten times as long until I let it sit for an hour before posting it.
default_wink.png
:

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

I was not going to post here, but decided - why not? While I originally bought my stallion to use as just that, I have been thinking about having him gelded for some time now. This thread really got me to seriously think about it. Lots of good points have been made. I have not had any foals yet, nor do I expect any this year. But I certainly plan on having my mare's bred - but no longer to my little stallion. He will be gelded and will remain here. I love the bajeebers out of him and figure he will make a great pet - heck he already is! If and when I have my girls bred, I want to be responsible about it. And there certainly are lots of beautiful quality stallions out there! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: :aktion033: :new_multi: :saludando:

[SIZE=12pt]Lori[/SIZE]

Lori,

I commend you for your decision. If we can only influence one to two people then maybe just maybe we can make some headway. I do not know you or your stallion but I am glad that you have taken the time to look deep within yourself and your future breeding program and made a decision that you will be happy with in the future.

As far as the photos and showing and all the other comments that have been made on this post, I understand that there are many factors that determine ones opinion on their and others horses, but deep down I beleive that our weakest point on all apsects of the plain is education. So for now I am happy to say that at least we have one individual that has taken the original post and put it to work and made a decision that maybe she was wavering to make.

Also I wanted to say that this post should be a record I think for the number of responses that it has gotten. I had no idea when I originally posted that it was going to go so long and in so may different directions. I commend everyone that has posted their feelings and responses and I am glad to see that alot of people put their thinking caps on for this. Now to think of my next attempt at a post
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Lori,

I commend you for your decision. If we can only influence one to two people then maybe just maybe we can make some headway. I do not know you or your stallion but I am glad that you have taken the time to look deep within yourself and your future breeding program and made a decision that you will be happy with in the future.

As far as the photos and showing and all the other comments that have been made on this post, I understand that there are many factors that determine ones opinion on their and others horses, but deep down I beleive that our weakest point on all apsects of the plain is education. So for now I am happy to say that at least we have one individual that has taken the original post and put it to work and made a decision that maybe she was wavering to make.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Thank you SmoothEZ, I appreciate your comment and I feel better already about this. Infact I feel great!! I know in my heart that I will be doing the right thing by gelding Nakota. ( He is the gray white pinto pictured in my avatar by the way. ) Infact the gal who I purchased him from even told me he was pet quality - I just wasn't hearing her! I know that she will be equally as happy as I - with my decision to geld him. I have big plans for my future gelding - nursing home visits and school visits are at the top of the list!

Lori

HI. Lori. I am/was in a similiar situation to yours - although I did not purchase Bob with the intention to breed him BUT I did get caught up in the fantasy of breeding little babies - and keep him as a stallion. But after reading some of the posts here, I decided I would geld him. I am a novice - in all horses. Why did I think I had the skills after 4 months to breed these beautiful creatures? Bob has now been gelded - and unfortunately now has a infection to boot - but hopefully he is on the mend now he is getting his drugs. I have bought a new little filly for him for a friend and in about 5 more weeks, I will be able to put him with his little friend. And after reading this post, I truly believe I have made the best decision possible for bobbie and myself. Regards, Kerrie

Latest posts

Back