Who wants to see our 'new' horse??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHGal

Reaction score
Hello all!
saludando.gif

I've been very busy, so I haven't been posting much(or reading, really). In any case, I went home for thanksgiving and had a blast! Drove four horses, played with all the others(and the dogs and Sandy), hung out with both sets of friends(school and horsey), ate food, slept(my bed is SO soft, I miss it), did stuff with family, and generally had three(and a half) days packed full.

About a month and a half ago, we acquired a new horse, Gabriel, from a friend. So here is his intro to the forum! I'm sure you will all get to watch him grow up(I hope). We also bought an exceptional quality russet leather harness to add to our collection as well. He looks gorgeous in it, so I think it is his (that makes what, 8 full harnesses and lots of pieces?). Not that we have a vehicle to use it on, but it was cheap and we couldn't pass it up.
new_shocked.gif
(hey, Margo, I am kind of thinking maybe I should buy your russet mini set to complete the harness collection...LOL).

Gabriel is a Clydesdale X Paint 2 year old gelding. Right now he's about 14.2-14.3, though his hip is probably 15.1! He's going through the two-year old uglies(instead of the yearling uglies), so he is shooting up in stages(shoulder, butt, shoulder,....), but I think he will mature nicely. Hopefully he will be a carriage/riding horse(all rounder)....

(For some reason, horses with big white socks are attracted to us....but hey, we like the horses, so oh well)

This horse is not mine, this is Elvis(the wheeler to the tandem I showed in Oct), but I love this picture. He was SO happy to get out and do a little bit of driving.

f1404bd9.jpg

Here's Gabriel! I decided to take him out, clean him up, braid his mane and forelock, and play dressup with the new harness. The harness is just a bit big for him(so should be perfect when he grows up), and the girth was huge, so we had to use a girth from another harness(and nothing is adjusted quite right). FYI, this horse has been played to death by his previous owner and is very accepting. He's had a harness/surcingle on for a while, second time with blinders, second time with a bit. Not something I'd do with just any horse.

f1404be8.jpg

My mom is holding him with a leadline, he is not loose...

f1404bf3.jpg

Then we did something like ground driving, and like leading. Gabriel already knows his voice commands well, so this wasn't much of a step for him and he took it in stride. He was already stretching down and listening well...and this is without any formal training.

f1402b83.jpg

Then about 5 seconds of trot, just to see his reaction--he was an excellent boy, stepped out quiet and came down to a walk with voice.

f1404c0e.jpg

So that is Gabriel....I will start ground driving and maybe some light (as he is still growing a lot...and probably will for a while) driving next summer when he's 3.

I also drove Fascination, who was very bright and happy to go driving, which is her favorite thing. She has put her winter coat on, along with everyone else (not the prettiest picture of her, but it shows her excitement).

f1404c19.jpg

Then I drove Ref for a short drive...just walked around the block(don't worry, of course I didn't trot her...obviously, as she hasn't been driven since I left). She kept her ears up and perked the whole way...totally enjoying her job!

f1404c12.jpg

And of course, the inquisitive two-year old says hi!

f1404c20.jpg

I had several more pictures, including Pippin and Dan, but they all mysteriously disappeared (either stupid me or stupid computer), so I'm going to have to get them from a friend (who also had all the pictures).
wub.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Gabriel is gorgeous! I used to work with two Paint X Clydes, they had beautiful minds and tremendous movement. I'd definately like to get one of those crosses again!

Gabriel looks like he's going to be great under cart. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Oh m'God, you actually let us see a picture of Fascination in her fuzzies!!
new_shocked.gif
aktion033.gif
I think that might be the first time in history. LOL

Now Gabriel (and that harness) are just GORGEOUS. Wow. Holy cow. Droolicious. And even "Sweet!" I think I'm in love, as much with his personality as his looks. What a guy. And look at that shoulder at the trot!
new_shocked.gif

Did you sneak off to college while we weren't looking? We've missed you on here!
bye-sad.gif
Certainly know how busy that first quarter/semester is so I don't blame you, but we do miss you. Come back....
please.gif
Or we may have to do this:
deadhorse2.gif
laugh.gif

Do find those pictures of Dan and Pippin, I miss the lil' beggars. Is Elvis living with you now?

Leia

Gabriel and Pippin in Tandem??? Yay
aktion033.gif

I love him- Sabino + Splash, OK??

Very very nice, depth and weight whilst keeping the quality- a real "old tyme" driving horse- the sort you'd have seen every day two hundred years ago, dual purpose, ride and drive.

Now tell me a few things- I would never have put blinders on at this stage- you will not be able to go back, and you know I am allergic to the things anyway. It looks to me as if he is already turning his head in trying to see where the voice is coming form, so- why??

The other thing is the harness (great choice, lovely harness!!)

I would always have the breast collar attached either to the saddle or, if I were starting to "engage" the breeching, I would attach the collar to the breeching- yours is loose, so why??

I know you have reasons for doing things, that is why I am asking
smile.gif

Gabriel is gorgeous! Lucky you to have him. Can't wait to see pics of you driving him.

Is that a Combined Driving Event cart? I ask because I see the step and rails at the back however, I know very little about carts.

Keep up the pics and posts please. Always very informative and a pleasure to read.
yes.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Very nice horse and so are the others. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

Great pictures, I love the new harness and Gabriel is B-E-A-utiful
wub.gif
. Keep the pictures coming, we always like to see more
biggrin.gif
. I hope college has been going well for you and we really miss your posts so whenever you get a chance stop in and say hi ok?
saludando.gif

Just as I have come to expect from you, wonderful pictures of beautiful horses! Congrats on that new boy!!!

All I can say is WoW.. his is one flashy looking very "Big" horse!!

Love your pictures as always!!

Thanks everyone!

Now tell me a few things- I would never have put blinders on at this stage- you will not be able to go back, and you know I am allergic to the things anyway. It looks to me as if he is already turning his head in trying to see where the voice is coming form, so- why??The other thing is the harness (great choice, lovely harness!!)

I would always have the breast collar attached either to the saddle or, if I were starting to "engage" the breeching, I would attach the collar to the breeching- yours is loose, so why??
LOL, here comes Fizz with the questions! Thats good though....
biggrin.gif

Actually, I am quite confident we will be able to start in an open bridle, but because this will be his 'show' harness, complete with gorgeous bridle, we wanted to see what he looked like. Yep...doing this for purely picture-taking reasons. I plan on actually starting him open, no blinders--that is, he will probably not have blinders on again for a good long time. Unlike the minis however, I do plan on putting him in blinders eventually. Most horses have been much more nervous about not being able to see, he was actually pretty easy-going about the blinders--not tensing if you didn't tell him you were going to touch him(ie: shoulder, never try that with a blindered horse near the hindquarters...), not stepping about and swinging to follow the person, etc.

If we were doing anything but a short try-out-the-harness-session, I would have put on the traces, ran them through the backstrap, and connected the breeching straps to the wrap straps. But...with the short walk time, the harness didn't need to be all connected up. The other thing is I like to see where the breastcollar decides to ride if it is unconnected to anything--one of the markers of a good set of harness. This one stayed put nicely. Believe me, anything other than a short photo op and harness tryout, I would have connected everything so that it wouldn't flop or move around.

Fizz...I guess you'll just have to wait until next year for some proper training photos! These'll be in his training harness (this guy is collecting harnesses already!), open bridle, nicely connected, etc.
laugh.gif
And by the way, interestingly enough, we then tried out his work harness(cheapie set, but good enough for basics), and I put the traces on the breastcollar(even though we didn't even walk around). It was drooping and shifting all over....so the traces had to go on to stabilize it.

Did you sneak off to college while we weren't looking? We've missed you on here!  Certainly know how busy that first quarter/semester is so I don't blame you, but we do miss you. Come back....  Or we may have to do this: 
Do find those pictures of Dan and Pippin, I miss the lil' beggars. Is Elvis living with you now?
Yep I did....
biggrin.gif
And no, Elvis is not living with me, I just got to borrow him for a short drive from his owners.

Is that a Combined Driving Event cart? I ask because I see the step and rails at the back however, I know very little about carts.
Hi Ali, yes that is a carriage made for CDEs--marathon carriage.
smile.gif

I'm so glad to hear from you! I love the pictures and that new boy is sooo handsome! I absolutely LOVE his face.
wub.gif
What a sweetheart. And he is so splashy in his new harness. That russet looks lovely on him.

Facination looks very happy. I think the horses in thier fuzzy winter suits are the cutest aren't they?

I hope all is going well in college. Where are you going and what is your major? Sorry soooo nosey
wacko.gif
I can't help it!

Hi Mindy...thats ok if you're nosy! I'm attending UC Davis, majoring in Animal Science(Equine emphasis). This first quarter has been crazy, but I still manage to read the forum usually.

[SIZE=14pt]Boy Gabriel is a gorgeous animal! Congratulations on getting him.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I had to come back and have another look!! He reminds me so much of the Cobs we had around when I was a kid- all good solid driving horses, too. If he had been purpose bred he could not have been better!! You are going to have an Awesome time with this boy, you should do some halter classes with him as well.
smile.gif

Thanks Fizz, Lyn, and Dersiree!

Hmmm halter...he would do that too(especially if he thinks he might get treats). He is definitely our 'do everything' horse--Shog's too old, really, Ref dislikes riding, and the minis obviously can't be ridden! Poor sucker. I'm going look into maybe registering him in Pinto--but then again, maybe not. We shall see! At least in the big horses, a unreg. gelding is still worth something (I have a feeling however that he will be staying for a long time...just like everyone else!), especially if he rides and drives.

wub.gif
And now I don't get to see him for a few more weeks.

VERY attractive "big" driving(and more?)prospect!! Is he a PMU offspring, by any chance? Seems the draft breed/color breed crosses were some of their most popular....

Yes, he does look GREAT in the russet harness-and it looks like a nice one--who is the maker? and yep, my Smuckers Russet Deluxe is still available, and 'twould look very nice next to that one!!

Ah, the wonderful world of college-even at my 'advanced' age, how well I remember!! You go, girl!! Good to see the pics, and read the update on what's going on with you...

Happy Holidays--

Margo

Latest posts

Back