Who have pintaloosas?Share photos.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 1 pintaloosa due this coming spring, out of a palomino paint, and a bay appaloosa.

Here is my favorite Pintaloosa... Orion top and bottom

His right side

018trini.jpg

trinib.jpg

His left side

trinidad_2005_1.jpg

trini1.jpg
Diane, this guy is gorgeous! But I hate to break the bubble, even if he is bred a pintoloosa (which would still make him genetically pintoloosa), that unique marking on his thigh is not a pinto marking, that is an appaloosa "mis-mark" which is very unique! I believe it is currently under research as to how/why mis-mark's occur..maybe get in touch with Sheila Archer of the Appaloosa Project with his pictures and see if they can contribute to helping figure it out! I loooooove the "strange and unusual" and adore mis-marks! So cool to look at!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here Tatonka, who belongs to a friend of mine from Texas who wanted me to post these pictures for her. The halter was only on because it was the first time for her two horses to be meeting and she wanted to be able to get ahold of him quick if need be.

tatonka.jpg

tatonkanspoofer.jpg

Those spots on the above filly are not indicative of appaloosa, they are paw prints and area pinto marking... she is probably homozygous pinto as pawprints are usually associated with that.

Lyn

How is the filly bred? Does she for sure have appy in her pedigree?

There's 4 "types/degrees" of pintaloosa,

"type 1" shows both patterns

"type 2" shows only appaloosa

"type 3" shows only pinto

"type 4" shows neither characteristics/patterns

So if she has appy in her pedigree then she's technically "pintaloosa" bred but may not exhibit the appaloosa pattern (but could still very well carry the gene to throw color/pattern on a foal)

It is actually a colt/stallion! = ) And of course, she just left town so I can't ask her if she knows anything about his pedigree. I know he is grade, but she wants to hardship him next year as I think he will be 5 then or maybe he will just be turning four next year and so won't be 5 until 2009??? She won't be back until "next year", scarey to say it is less then 2 weeks away! I will have to get her to look at the post to see if she can answer your questions.

I find that people are always confusing heavily pawprinted pintos with pintaloosas. A lot of the horses pictured here are not what I would call pintaloosas (some nice horses though).

This is a beautiful Pintaloosa stallion that I purchased as a weanling and just sold, (since he's really too small for my program), within about 48 hours of posting, so whether they sell or not???? I think it's like many horses, it depends on their markings. I will say that I think the Pintaloosa's make very flashy driving horses!!
This stallion is a beautiful blending of Pinto (Navajo X-Caliber bred on the top side), and an Appaloosa few-spot mare (Chianti etc.), on the bottom side.

He is headed for the show ring, and to be a main herd stallion for T/C Mini Family Farms.

This is HCM X Calibers Ole' - all 29.25" of him!!

ole1.jpg

ole.jpg

3263c265.jpg

I breed about 96% appaloosas, but sometimes the Pintaloosa's are just plain gorgeous--and I think Ole' is one of them.
very nice looking stud.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back