Who have pintaloosas?Share photos.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
I notice folks where ask about homozygous pinto horses bred to appys.We have a nice appy stud coming this month. We are going to bred him to the solids mares. We have taught about breeding him to a few pintos. Do pintaloosas sell, breed and etc well?We know that conformation is the first and most important thing.I think the pintaloosas have their own neat markings. I wonder if the pintaloosas throw alot more color foals then pintos and appys?Share your good and bad comments about pintaloosa?Please let us know why or why not?Also let us know what color and patterns the parents of your pintaloosa are?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
YES Pintoloosa's are a hot market if they are marked right!

I am more for 100% appy but I love how flashy pintoloosa's are, I can't wait for pictures!

Most breeders I know avoid them because the appaloosa can cause a washout of the pinto color... Also PTHA will not recignize a pinto that has any appaloosa behind it so if you are interested in that registry also that puts you out of the game.

Lyn

I would stick to appy to appy or pinto to pinto.

No photos
default_no.gif
would love to see them
default_wub.png
I do love Pintaloosa's
default_wub.png

I am in the market for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appy does not always wash out pinto or other markings. Only VARNISH roaning (which is an appy type of roan but only certain appies have it) will wash out the color. Good appy genes, without the varnish roan, will work with the pinto markings and make a gorgeous pintoloosa =)

Varnish roan is easy to distinguish on 2+ year olds because it leaves a distinct "V" of the horses base color from the tip of the nose up to the forehead while most of the rest roans white. I personally stay away from Varnish though it can, and does, create some pretty marked appies.

We breed appy's to appy's and pinto to pinto's. In my area I don't think there is a market for them, most people that we know like to keep them separate and not crossed over to one another. We thought about it, but changed our mind and sticking to keeping them straight.

We have 2 loud appaloosa stallions here, one is a black leopard and the other is a buckskin leopard stallion that has blue eyes. Monte has thrown a loud black leopard 2007 filly named Diva that was a 2007 AMHR National Champion and Top Ten this year and this coming year we will be starting to use the buckskin appy for breeding in 2008.

And as far as the pinto's, we have a black loud sabino pinto stallion with blue eyes and also a Michigan bred buttermilk buckskin pinto stallion. The sabino stallion Lordy has produced a 2007 gray sabino filly named Foxy that has a bald face and ice blue eyes and the buckskin stallion named Gold, we will be using starting this spring crossing with a Michigan bred mare that has produced dilutes.

Should be interesting for foaling season in early 2008, and everyone likes something different as far as appaloosa's and pinto's, which color is just icing on the cake you might say, conformation is number one priority here at Coventry Lane.

Here's ours..

First is our stallion, black based near leopard overoloosa (overo is from splash and sabino), and has two blue eyes..

skyhead.jpg

skyextend2.jpg

sky2.jpg

And in his winter pj's:

SKy2.jpg

His sire is a black based near leopard appaloosa C-Chief Proud Eagle

His dam is a sorrel/chestnut sabino 4GS Bambies Scarlet Ribbons

And then we have Hunt House Farms Chantilly Lace, silver dapple (we believe) pintaloosa mare.. Most of her foals (by pinto, solid and appy stallions) have been strickly pinto marked, her only appaloosa marked foal is a leopard filly by Fallen Ash Farm Scouts Robin Hood (a solid black)

Lexi4.jpg

Lexi.jpg

Her sire is NFCS REVEREND STEVE, a black and white pinto

Her dam is Trios Alibi who is pintaloosa bred (sire side is pinto; sire is a son of BOND BRIGADIER and goes back to BOND SHOWBOY 2X (grandson); Trios Alibi's dam is a black appaloosa daughter of STARLIGHT CHIEF...

Lexi and her appy filly:

th_Chantilly_Lace_and_2004_Filly_by_Ro.jpg

This colt below is sired by the above stallion and is out of a varnish snowcap appaloosa mare, so if you want to get really technical, he's Pintaloosa X Appaloosa bred.. He's been sold and will head home in the spring when paid off..

DSCI0022.jpg

100_0250.jpg

In the spring we will have 5 foals due by our stallion.. We have a bay pinto mare, a black pinto w/blue eyes, the pintaloosa mare above, a solid black/bay mare (who ironically is "pintaloosa" bred, sire is pinto, dam is appy, but mare did not get characteristics or patterning from either! not a white hair on her!) and the varnish snowcap mare in foal to him..

Here is my favorite Pintaloosa... Orion top and bottom

His right side

018trini.jpg

trinib.jpg

His left side

trinidad_2005_1.jpg

trini1.jpg

pintoloosas are my favorite they have so much of a mystery to them. I own a pintoloosa colt that is so very awsome. He has orion and bond in his bloodline. I belive his mom might be a pintoloosa but i am not positive yet. It would be nice to know if there is a way to test for the appaloosa gene. I think that you would benifit from the pintoloosas they just are so amazing.

I personaly love them and would like to see more of them, but I can understand there not being a large market if they conflict with the registries standards. Too bad. My neighbor had the most gorgeous pintaloosa pony colt, who had really unique spots on his ears. He was beautiful Unfortunatley he was a crazy little thing and she sold him. I would love to have seen him once he matured.

This is my pintallousa AMHR--Moss Grove--CJMM Blaze N Flicka

she looks overo, but you can see her butt is heavy frosted & she has several white spots on her neck

she has blue eyes too. Her sire is a leopard appy & her dam is a overo pinto.

293140078.jpg

this is my pintaloosa he was gelded yesterday, i hope to show him start of next year
default_smile.png

as a baby

AppyGoLucky.jpg

and now...

lucky1edittrees.jpg

O.k I'll share any chance I get haha this is my 1st bred mini Willow glen Monarch Flye of spots his mum is a leopard appy and his dad who is from the orion bloodline is a chestnut pinto

As a foal

lottiesfoal.jpg

first clip left side

DSC01361Medium.jpg

right side

DSC01364Medium.jpg

and now

Tazwaikatoshow.jpg

hope you like he has been showing really well for his 1st season and has won a couple of champions ans reaserves already but think I'll be selling him as I dont really have a need for another male horse I want a filly so I'll have to make sum desions soon but he is just such a nice boy to have around and spend time with.

Here are my 3 first is Canterbury Hustle Bustle sired by appy dam black pinto her foal this year was a palomino pinto sired by a sabino/splack stallion. I will breed her next year to my leopard appy. Hope to get a pinto/appy.

Cnv0018-1.jpg

This is Canterbury Blaze Of Glory sired by an appy and out of a sorrel pinto mare.

Cnv0129-1.jpg

This is Glory's pinto/appy son sired by a appy son of Bryland Farms Rain Dance

HitTheJackpot9-2.jpg

Cnv0009.jpg

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE (X infinity) this horse!!!

HitTheJackpot9-2.jpg

His markings are PERFECT!! Just enough of both!
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

I have one, not really by design but last year my main sire hated one mare and rather than go through all the little tricks that one can do I said why fight it. My brother had his appy stallion here so I tried the two.

spotaloosa12.jpg

spotaloosa14.jpg

Latest posts

Back