Who are you all ordering your vaccines from?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelridge

Reaction score
I have been online trying to order my vaccines and I am shocked at the shipping prices now, (guess I shouldn't be) but they are more now than last year, and gas was higher this time last year too. My vaccine order from Jeffers was around $20 the shipping was $21! I tried Valley vet and it was the same. I cant hardly believe shipping is about the same as the price of the vaccines! Either that or I am doing something wrong. I think I may be better off to just go to Tractor Supply and get them for $12.99 each. Who are ya'll ordering your vaccines from??

I buy vaccinces from whoever has the best price at the time. However, I think they are all charging $20+ to ship as they won't ship vaccines except overnight or second day air. If you are only getting one or two doses, your local veterinarian may be your best bet.

I DITTO Becky......

Buying from the catalogs is really only worth it if you are buying full vials. For individual doses, buying from either your vet or a feed store is your better bet.

Vet prices have gone wayyy up... west nile Virus vaccine now costs $30.00 each !!!
default_new_shocked.gif

So I just went to Heartland and bought the rest of the doses I will need for my Rescue mare and her foal. Even with the shipping and Ice packs... 5 single dose vaccines only came out to $21.00 each ! That is a biggg savings over the Vet. And so far... Heartland has been good about long dating the vaccines.

What do you use as proof of inocculations if you purchase the shots from a mail-order or similar seller?

I buy mine direct from my vet, and he will write and sign a paper stating thatt he horses have been inocculated. Many of our shows request proof, including 4-H.

We do our own and so far Big D's has been the cheapest for the last several years for the particular vaccines we use.

Here is their website link:

Big D's Horse supplies

Sue C.

We have had our daughter in RIDING 4-H horse.......and never had a problem. I would keep your receipts to show proof.

Ma---

I buy enough quantity that the shipping isn't really an issue - yes it has gone up, along with the cost of vaccines but I'm buying about 30 doses and still much cheaper than going through my vet. Jeffers, Valley Vet, Country Supply....all usually within a few dollars of one another.

Jan

I only needed 3 right now so I guess I will just go and get them from TS or Southern States.

I was just shocked as to how much shipping and handleing has increased from last year. The vet here charges $30 a piece for EWT! So I guess it may still work out cheaper. I tought I was doing something wrong when I was filling out my on-line order.

Sue C, I have never been to a show that required proof of innoculation?? is this something new??, its never been an issue. As far as proof to a buyer,, I can only give my word,, if they are not satisfied with that, then of course they can re-vaccinate the horse if they wish.

I have been giving my horse their shots myself for over 20 years now and its never been a problem.

(Knock on wood) LOL.

Thanks Joanne, I will visit Big D's.

Thank you all for your replies.
default_smile.png

I have also never needed proof of vaccinations.

However,, some vaccines come with this pull away sticky and you put it on the records you keep for your horses, which tells the batch and serial number plus the maker,, or the few that don't, you write down the same info and the date given and keep the vaccine wrapper(for single doses) if you want, just to make sure.

I have every thing, I or the Vet does to the horses, written down in detail.
default_wink.png

Yeah Big D's has best prices and shipping too. They also have great sales and send coupons for $ off your next order. Jeffers has the broadest variety of products but shipping is high. They charge additional freight on many items.

This was the first year in a LONG time that I didn't order vaccines from Jeffers or other online source; instead, I split a 10 dose vial with a friend, buying from a local 'veterinary supply' place that recently came back into existence, after shutting down for a couple of years. The shipping cost was the reason! This 'requirement' of ONLY shipping via next- or second-day air has arisen in just the past couple of years; my bet is that it is 'cover-your-tail' motivated on the part of Jeffers and other similar suppliers! For YEARS, I specified that they ship no later than Tuesday, and it was routine to include an ice pack, FREE...and there were no problems. BUT, the shippers have gotten SLOWER, in many instances---for instance, I was quoted "3-5" day delivery for FIRST CLASS mail at the USPS recently...well, if that's the case, they need to QUIT CALLING IT "FIRST CLASS", don't they? If you pay nearly $5 for a letter,and call it "PRIORITY MAIL", they darn sure can get it moved faster! No wonder their business is down...I believe that in MANY(not all, but many)cases, UPS and the other non-USPS shippers are slower, too...and that's likely why we, the customers, get the 'honor' of paying more....

I no longer do nearly the business I used to do w/ Jeffers; it is true that they now charge for freight--RIDICULOUS sums, especially on items such as single containers of fly repellent, as one example-- on MANY items they didn't used to...Well, THEIR loss. (Maybe I should send a copy of this thread to them, huh??) In case you can't tell, I really HATE it when we, as consumers, get BLATANTLY scr*wed!

I have given my own vaccinations for longer than I care to recall...it has never been an issue. I ALWAYS write down the serial/lot number, and exp. date, of anything I've given, just in case.

Thanks for the contact info for Big D...never realized they even offered vaccines!

Margo(AKA,"curmudgeon!)

I stopped doing business with Jefferes over 4 years ago because of their Freight fees and they would just throw your order in a box willy nilly. In a big order you ended up paying more for shipping than the products you buy.

I love Smart Pack Equines prices and their shipping costs are what I like to see. Also love their customer service and they pack the items you buy very well. But sadly.. they don't sell vaccines.

Gads...tell me about it Margo. Sold some handspun yarn last month.. 12ozs of it cost me $13.95 to ship.. just first class mail!
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back