Which shows/registries are better for beginners?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penny

Reaction score
I am a 61 yr. old Nana who would like to start showing some mini shows with my 6 yr old and 9 yr old grand daughters..I was wondering which registry would be the best to start showing in? AMHA or AMHR..Are there more of 1 than the other? I live in Indiana and don't really want to travel long distances (5 hours or so) to get to a show..

Also what "type" of mini to buy? We would like to do some halter (I'm sure with what I could afford it won't be at the big shows) some in-hand classes and maybe some driving later on...Would I have to have a different mini for each class? Is there a size that seems to be prefered in each registry? We really want to learn and the girls are excited about getting a mini..both of them ride, and does showmanship with our QH and shows him,but I'm getting to the point I can't do it all by myself lifting her heavy saddle up..A mini would be so much easier for me.

And, I have always loved the smaller equines,Shetlands and ponies, my whole life...Used to hang around the horse barns at fairs wishing for one of them..Back in those days Shetlands were small and a big item..ahhh those were the days!

Hi and a huge welcome to the world of minis!!!

I am about your age (a bit older) and tired from a long horse show yesterday, so I can really relate!! I highly recommend the Pinto Association if there are any shows in your area. The website is www.pinto.org. If you have a QH you should feel right at home, because the mini classes are interspersed with "big" horse classes. I had a Pinto that I rode and showed on that circuit for years, so it was an easy transition for me. But the shows are great for ANY beginner. Their point and award structure stresses personal achievement and progress rather than National or World titles. (They have those too). They also value (and reward) versatility and performance. In New England all ages show together and have a ball!!

You should check out clubs and shows in your own area though, and don't neglect non-rated shows. Those are also a great place to start. If you want to get into driving, a local driving club is another option. Most of the new members of my driving club have minis. And yes you CAN have one mini that can do it all. Size is an issue, but there is no right or wrong size and personal preference varies widely. Our best all around mini is about 32 inches tall - actually she measured 32.5" yesterday. You can see what we do with her and our other minis on our website with a link below.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I started out at a small show at our State Fair. People were very helpful and gave me lots of help and feedback. It was a great experience for a beginner!

Wishing you all the best with your minis!

Hi and welcome. I used to show big horses. I was injured on a TB and the DR said there was no room for another injury. So I bought Minis. I would check out which shows are in your area A or R or both if you want to show in a breed show. I would also decide what size of horses I liked best. Such as the tiny under 30's or 30" to 34" or even the taller ones. My horses are all in the 30" to 34" range. They are not too small to drive but they are small enough that for me they are just fun to have around. My horses are all A/R registered or I have the paperwork for "R". The reason for having them registered both A/R is that if you do breed a foal or buy a yearling and they grow to be over 34" you still have a registered horse. I would also recommend going and watching some of these breed shows so you know what you are getting into. I have not shown in any local shows other then AMHA because I have a limited show budget and it doesn't allow for the fun shows. Good luck and have fun.

Welcome Penny! It's so nice to hear from others around my age who have been 'hooked' by these little horses. I too cut my teeth on the 'bigs', but I can tell you, I wish I had found the miniatures way earlier.

As far as the breed shows, AMHA & AMHR, there is no way to tell which you would enjoy most than to go watch or participate in some. Generally speaking, your smaller miniatures will do better in the AMHA shows where the junior horse classes are broken down into heights....that is if you will be showing one and two year olds.

There are a LOT of youth classes for your granddaughters to show in and those are broken down into the kid's age brackets too....both halter and performance.

No matter what kind of show you go to you might want to tell the show manager that you are new to this game and ask her/him to introduce you to someone who could 'mentor' you for that show. Our AMHA miniature horse club has a mentorning program where a new exhibitor can request to be stalled by a mentor for that show. It's a good way to meet the other exhibitors too.

Wherever you decide to show there is no way you can NOT have fun!
default_yes.gif

Charlotte

Hi, welcome and I'm older than you are. You need to look at the websites for AMHA and AMHR to see which one has shows in your area. For instance Wisconsin has 0 AMHA shows. As for the Pinto showing, IMO - at least the WI. one, is not very accomodating to miniatures --ponies yes, but minis no. I mean around here they have a class or two for them but they charge such high fees that I can go to several AMHR shows for the price of one Pinto!

Latest posts

Back