Where's Autumn? It's late this year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Our temps are still up in the 90's every day. It hasn't rained for quite some time either. Although the nights are cooler, there isn't even a breeze.

Usually by this time every year the leaves are turning, the temperature is cooling down and everyone has decorated with corn stalks, mums, hay bails, gourds and scarecrows. But not this year. Not yet.

Maybe this is a sign that we'll have an easy winter?

I'm sure hoping to see Autumn come soon.

HI Marty! We are kinda having a nice warm spell too.....I love it....but the nights are turning cooler....corn is turning golden.....trees turning paler shades....so looks like autumn is arriving.

I thought of you.....pumpkins are just galore around my area.....menonite/amish and english farmers are begging people to buy pumpkins. Wish you were closer as I know you'd enjoy these local auctions of pumpkins, colorful mums, corn shucks, indian corn, gourds, squash,apples, dried flowers....you name it and prices are sooooo reasonable.

It has been fun to see this years hayracks of pumpkins go by on the road....
smile.gif

Last week they sold 22,000 pumpkins in one day sale!
new_shocked.gif

Trouble is the economy is down in our area and buyers are few and far between, thus lower prices. The pumpkins are beautiful though.
yes.gif

One gal even paints pumpkins....really cool pics like cornacopia scenes, sunflowers,U.S. flags, all kinds of neat stuff.....another stenciled a beautiful horse on a pumpkin. I wish I had a digital camera thingy to share pics but I don't.
sad.gif

Wishing you a great autumn!!! It will be comin around the mountain before ya know it.....cooler fall weather and all the good stuff that comes with it.
saludando.gif

I was just about to post the same thing!!
sad.gif
I've had enough of this already!!!! Over here it looks like fall and smells like fall, but it sure does'nt FEEL like fall!! We've been in the upper 80's still with HIGH as heck humidity. Nights feel just as bad, humid as the days, no breezes and also no rain. We're definitely waiting for a changealready!! And tomorrow starts fall???
new_shocked.gif

I know I shouldn't complain because I can still bathe the horses !!!
aktion033.gif
I really must dye Nick's mane.......

I am sitting here with no harvest decorations out yet, seems very weird.

I was sweating half to death at our Harvest Festival. Very hard to get into the spirit of the season like this.

Reminds me of trying to put up Christmas decorations in Florida after a day at the beach and stringing lights on the palm trees wearing a tank top and shorts and drinking lemonade
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

I bet I'll be the first one to complain about the ice though.
yes.gif

It's been overly warm(hot?) here too. However, we keep missing the little bit of rain that's been coming through here. My front yard is burnt to a crisp(wanna see?)and there's quite a few trees that are losing leaves. Not really turning color, just dropping the leaves. I figure it's due to the lack of rain. All the rain that came through NJ either went north or south of us. I can't remember when it rained here last.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have another week or 2- I think the leaves will be turning by next week- but my flower garden hasn't died yet and I haven't watered it in 3 weeks. It is getting cooler but no freezing frost yet.
no.gif
I love the fall.

It sure doesn't seem like fall here either. The nights are cooler, but it's still in the mid-eighties during the day. The leaves haven't started to turn yet either.

Been hiding up here in NY Marty. We've had 40 degree nites and 70s in the day. Trees are turning, saw my first geese V last nite. Kids are getting fuzzy and fluffy. Heat pellets are all in (7 ton), propane is prepaid at a locked in $1.59 for the winter, hay is almost all put up, I just finished doing my cupboards now all that is left is the countertop and I'm upstairs! Just in time for true fall color.
wub.gif

laugh.gif
We still have very warm days 90 yesterday 88 today but our leaves started changing a couple of weeks ago.

I've got fall in MA. It's goreous today with 70 degrees and a nice cool breeze. It also is geetting cold at night. I't will come soon enough.

Christy
laugh.gif

You're just a little early, Marty... look at your calendar. 1st day of autumn doesn't start until tomorrow (Sept. 22). Everything will be different tomorrow morning...
poke.gif

Our average frost date is Sept 24th. We are probably going to go past that this year. Every day we go past is a good one as far as I can see. Last year we had our first fire in the wood stove on October 5th. There is much work to get done before the snow flies. Soybeans here are about 80% done. Corn comes off after that then all of the fall plowing. While we normally do not get heavy snows here early in the season if one comes it stops everything.

Really nice here in W PA right now. High 70's to low 80's daytime and nice cool nights with a breeze blowing almost all the time. Not a lot of rain, but the hit and miss rainfall seems to be hitting directly on my place, which is fine by me.

Just to help you out here are a couple of fall pics of my place

autumnbackpasture.jpg
Homesweethome.jpg
AutumnPasture.jpg

fall002.jpg

We've had fall for a while in the bush behind the white fence where the horses are no more leaves hardly left on the trees.
biggrin.gif

Our ash trees are about 20% colored, Maple trees just starting to color, lawns have slowed right down or their growth rate. Beans are almost all harvested here, We lucked out on an early frost as the full moon came and went without a frost (it did get to within a few degrees of freezing though) so fall is getting closer everyday. Its the twenty or so weeks that follow we are dreading.

justaboutgeese said:
Our ash trees are about 20% colored, Maple trees just starting to color, lawns have slowed right down or their growth rate.  Beans are almost all harvested here, We lucked out on an early frost as the full moon came and went without a frost (it did get to within a few degrees of freezing though) so fall is getting closer everyday.  Its the twenty or so weeks that follow we are dreading.
471574[/snapback]

no.gif
No colour here yet no frost last night still green- maybe tonight.

If you want fall, you should come up north to Calgary--we have had fall for quite awhile--hmm...since late July?
biggrin.gif
It has been the coldest, wettest summer I can ever remember, and last night we had our first frost...brrrr!

Latest posts

Back