Where Do You Get Your TV / Radio News

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where Do You Get Most Of Your TV / Radio News

• CNN

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • HLN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FOX

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • MSNBC

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • CNBC

• NPR

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • NBC

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • CBS

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • ABC

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • The Daily Show (Comedy Central's program)

• Other (feel free to elaborate)

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
It's been a long time since we've done this poll, and I thought it might be even more interesting to see it play out now given some things that have come to light or transpired over the past year or so.

For me, my choice remains the same with it comes to news on the TV. It's got to be FOX in my house. Their news (not to be confused with their very popular opinion shows) is the only place I find both sides of a story represented. I also faithfully look at The Drudge Report at least 1-2x a day and I read from Real Clear Politics several times a week. Due to my career and political interests, I do also keep up with The Wall Street Journal.

The Drudge Report frequently and recently publishes the highlights of where the ratings fall, and this prompts my interest in what LB members tune into:

So, what about you? Where do you get your "RDA" of news? And if you care to elaborate, why is it so?

PS honestly, some of the choices above made me cringe, but I hope I remembered to include most of the popular options
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I put other, because I watch/read online CBC, CTV and A News. I watch/read local and Canadian news being from Canada and all.....

~kathryn

I'm not up to speed with the names of all the news channels that are available in other Nations, but the "Other" category can be as broad as interest dictates
default_yes.gif

I picked Other - because I sample a wide range of media. NPR, Fox... a bit of everything.
default_yes.gif

I usually watch NBC but I also like Fox, and HLN which I'm sure sounds strange but true.
default_wink.png

An interesting mix
default_yes.gif

Would I be offending anyone if I admit I'm happy to see The Daily Show (funny as it may be) and MSNBC unchosen as of yet in the poll
default_laugh.png

I like our local ABC station. I'm not much of a news hound so I'm good with a small dose of it for the day, from 6:00 to 6:30 or news at 5:00.

It's interesting how this poll is going. We did it, I think, 2x before and it went pretty much as this one is. Like a mirror of the ratings but on a smaller scale
default_yes.gif

My preferred TV news (an oxymoron) is THE NEWSPAPER. There is no such thing as television "NEWS" per se, at least in terms of true journalism.

I did vote for NPR, even though that stands for National Public Radio, so obviously not TV.

I have to add that I do not believe that "preaching to the choir" (or being one of the choir hearing the sermon) is any way to form a well-grounded perspective. When we had TV, I listened to Fox as much as any other station (granted, that's not saying much)), because I want to know the veiws of people on all sides of the issues.

I also do not believe that any one of the media can truly be unbiased. I much prefer to recognize and expect a bias, so that I can read or listen with a proper sized grain of salt.

I like to see all sides of an issue, too.

Regarding news and sides being represented, I think Fox's slogan of "Fair & Balanced" is accurate. They consistently have both conservatives and liberals giving their insights on news topics. There are also a lot of news events you won't even hear about if you don't watch / listen to Fox.

Plus, FOX was a great place for Juan Williams to land after NPR fired him (and in doing so further revealed what many people recognize as a strong liberal bias). In this day and age, I really think government funding of a news outlet (NPR) is unneeded and wrong -- but I guess that's a "story" for another thread
default_smile.png

Susanne, thanks for pointing out TV vs. Radio. I corrected the title. Ironically, I spend more time listening to FOX than watching it. I sure love satellite radio
default_yes.gif

I voted for FOX because that is mostly what is on, living with two right wing conservative parents, and I don't really mind their morning show.

Dan.

Hopefully, people see what is wrong with this...

FOXNEWS-EGYPT.jpg

default_no.gif

Other. I'm part of this younger generation that doesn't pay much attention to that box in the corner that collects dust called the tv. I'm a YouTube loyalist. There are several YouTube shows that are news oriented that I watch every day and they include news of things that happen on the internet, which is often more relevant to me anyway. I also don't ever bother with newspapers... they are like the internet except they don't update themselves, they are not interactive, they are printed on thinly sliced trees, and they aren't free.

Twitter knows the news before the news knows the news. Why bother with anything else?
default_biggrin.png

I'm with you there ML! Even at school we are not allowed to used fox or huffington post for any sort of reference for assignments. If an assignment is politically based, multiple references must be given on the subject and there are a few references that we get docked points on if used (like the two mentioned before-they are too biased). Even my very conservative, tea party boyfriend doesn't like fox...unless he wants a good laugh.

Matt-that's called plate tectonics!!
default_laugh.png

In all seriousness, how the heck do you mess up a map?!

Foxx News if it is coming out of the tv. Fair and balanced?? Whatever...I guess if the Fairness Doctrine gets pushed through we will look back and it might seem like it was. I miss Eadie from there. Not sure what happened to her. Probably stood up one too many times for what she believed in. I loved her. Oreily is starting to pander. Combs has to be a plant...nobody could really be as dense as him. Has to be faking. Glen Beck is enlightening. Sean is ok sometimes and at other times I wonder why I even bother to watch him. Huckabee does ok as a host but I can't say I put much stock in anything he says. Our local news is a joke as well as local newspaper. If it is internet Drudge Report or World Net Daily. If I want to see how truly foolish humanity has become I can glance at MSN home page to see what is Hollywood newsworthy. If by radio Rush Limbaugh, Rusty Humphries, Michael Savage, or Moon Griffon if I feel the need to hear facts. And for giggles and grins Walton and Johnson. Hysterically funny and those guys tell it like it is! They are the radio version of what would be the extreme opposite of The View.

I must clarify that wanting to hear all sides of any issue is not the same as getting it. When I've listened to Fox it is to hear "an" other side, not to hope to receive a balanced offering of other opinions.

Now...back in the "olden" days, I DID enjoy listening to William Buckley. I rarely agreed with a word he said, but oh how he said it!

My favorite these days is Scott Simon on NPR's Saturday Edition. He is a JOURNALIST.

CTV

I have to say that IMO anyone who would consider Jon Stewart or the Daily Show as "news".....
default_no.gif
Well, gag me.

This is a joke.. right??
default_biggrin.png
No, not a joke. Unless you're referring to the strictly progressive slant that the Huffington Post spouts. Honestly, the Daily Show, in my opinion, is actually a better source of information than Ms. Arriana Huffington's progressive outlet. We only need to look at CA to see where progressive politics lead us. (But, in the words of Dennis Miller: Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.)

There's a reason FOX's ratings out rank any other news source. Close to as many people watch / listen to FOX as ALL the other outlets combined!

Ratings as of 2/10/11:

FOX: 1,338,000

CNN: 606,000

MSNBC: 476,000

CNBC: 219,000

HLN: 237,000

As far as news screen shots go, I think this one is the best and I don't think it was any kind of a typo or mistake. Just MSNBC's misguided take on the issue.

MSNBC.jpg

On a related note, I read that Keith Olbermann is now on Al Gore's "Current TV" which is currently enjoyed in approximately 18,000 living rooms nationwide -- it didn't make the list above
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back