When you buy a new horse, would you want them trained?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want them trained, or do you want to do it yourself?

• Trained

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not trained

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
I'm not talking about basic halter work or early stages of training, every horse sold should know how to do that.

I'm talking about when you buy a horse do you rather have them trained to show in halter or performance, or do you rather do the training yourself?

I'm more particully interested in the performance aspect of it. (Driving, obstacle, jumping, etc...)

I have to respond this way because I am new the the mini world and do not know a 1/8th of what is involved with training.

So I look for someone who is going to help me become better and will try the training on my own as they grow up on the farm.

Eventually I want to be the one selling you the trained horses !!!
default_yes.gif
:

As much as it sounds appealing to have a horse come to you already trained, the hard part then is training YOU how the horse was trained.

What I like about doing it myself is the horse learns MY cues the way I want...no confusion or miscommunication =) I would probably easily forget or mis-cue if I had to learn how someone else taught my horse how to perform/show...that's just me! :eek:

I do my own training all the way! :bgrin

The satisfaction gained from taking 'raw material' and turning it into a winner is what does it for me. Besides which, I wouldn't trust anyone else to take my precious horses, and possibley ruin them into the bargain! :new_shocked: And if things go wrong, I only have myself to blame.

And if I run into a problem, I can always ask for help.
default_smile.png

I prefer to do the training because I have had both cases, and the horse who was previously trained before I got them needed to be re done by myself as he was not safe trained the way I got him. And when I trained my first horse mysefl it was much better! A lot more fun!

I didn't vote because for me it would depend on a few things. First, do I know who trained the horse? Second, do I get to try out the horse first? (if not I probably wouldn't buy anyway) and third after trying the horse, do I feel I can deal with the training that is done and any flaws that exist? There are some very nicely trained horses out there that I wouldn't turn down just because I didn't do it myself, but on the other hand, I'm not afraid to do the work myself on an untrained horse either.

I prefer to do the training for halter or showmanship or even jumping. Driving is a different story, i'd rather not put the extra money in to send them to a trainer unless i really had to so i'd have to say for a driving horse i would want them to be trained before i get them or just need a little finishing.

I even would prefere to train horses ground manners (with basic halter skills as well) myself. I've trained a few horses that we have the concept of pressure which they were never worked with on before.

I just ask for a sane horse
default_smile.png

well i voted not trained, as in the past with big horses most were trained{except when i was a kid and the man i rode for never told me different lol}

but with the minis i definatley am glad that none of mine where trained, as any acheivments they get are from me, {apart from there breeding} of course

the driving thing was hard though as i never trained a horse to drive, but luckily my horse seemed to love to learn, and i did send him to someone for the hitching, although i did do the main work.......i have loved every minute of it

I voted not trained since I for sure like to do my own training when it comes to my showmanship horses since I am very specific in how I like that done. I also really do prefer to train my own driving horses for the most part however once in a while I see a driving horse that has been trained by someone else that I would love to own because I can see that I would truly enjoy driving that horse.
default_wub.png
: You do STILL have to keep a horse on top of it's game, it is always a work in progress, that's part of the fun too!! :bgrin

Pam

I do all the training myself unless I feel I cant do the horse justic or train them properly. Then I send them to a trainer.

Not Trained. I like to do that myself
default_wub.png
: Though i do like them trained or etleast started with driving or etleast handled.

Well, I voted trained, but only in driving, as I don't know much about driving, so it would be very helpful is the horse was already trained to drive. That said, I have 5 horses in my paddocks that I hope to start in harness when they are old enough; that would be two this summer (one should have already been started, but we had a set-back).

I would like them already trained for pleasure driving. I don't have the time to work a horse on a daily basis. I also would just have to watch the current owner to see how they handle the horse to see if I could use it myself. I have bought previously full size horses by watching the owner riding them around. I can tell by watching if it would be a horse that I could handle. :saludando:

I much prefer them untrained, which is how all our Minis have come to us.

In most cases we also got our big horses untrained; the few trained ones we did buy, we were not a bit impressed with their previous training--we just had to start all over from scratch & overcome all their problems. It is much easier to start them ourselves right from the very first and that way they are trained the way we want.

So, any more if it's a trained horse, I won't even bother looking at it.

I have one mini for sale now, a coming 2 year old AMHR colt. I figure he will sell easier if trained to drive so he has been started and is doing really well. Now if I can just find him a good home, he'd make a awesome driving gelding once gelded for a youth or adult. He will mature about 31". Just hope to find him a loving home, that is important to me. Though me personally for minis I rather train them myself to drive as then I know what they are like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to go with the less majority rules here so far. I would like them already trained when it comes to driving. Later on down the line I would not mind training, but for now already trained works for me. As far as halter, obstacles etc.....I would like to do the training myself.

I like to do the training myself. There's just such a sense of satisfaction in teaching a horse what it needs to know to do a job, and being partners all the way in it.
default_smile.png

I like to train them myself. If they are going to learn any bad habits, I want to be the one to teach them :eek: .

I feel with me doing the training (halter obstacle), it gives me the chance to build a trusting, close bond with the horse. I get a sense of accomplishment when the horse finally gets an obstacle down pat. This way, the horse knows my body language, and I know hers.

Although, we aren't bringing home any National champions, maybe I should consider a different plan
default_whistling.gif
:

Latest posts

Back