when to start blanketing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
Hi!

Just wondering when people start blanketing their mini's- ie how cold does it have to get?I know many people don't ever blanket and rely on Mother Nature to provide the winter woolies but....I always kept my regular horses under lights so their coats were super shiny, short and slick. It can get chilly at night so I would blanket them. Do people keep mini's under lights?Or just body clip? I also like to blanket..even just a turnout sheet int he paddock if they are not in a stall when it rains..it keep them clean!

IF they are not clipped I dont blanket no matter what the temp. Their coats are designed to become insulated with dust and dander, yes I know that sounds gross but it is true. A winter coat is designed to keep them warm and when you change that design by adding a blanket, it cant do its job. Just my opinion but, no one here gets blanketed even the ones at the trainers in NY until they get clipped for a show in spring.

Lyn

I have several that came back from Nationals with newly clipped coats and I only blanket them on cool nights until their hair gets long enough to keep them warm. I do not blanket any of the others with full coats.

I believe that where you live plays a big part in when or whether you blanket. Here in Oregon it rains alot during the winter. When their coats are wet clear thru they can't possibly fluff their fur to stay warm. Add the mud not dust and dander to that and they can't even begin to fluff. I watch the individual horse when I feed first thing in the morning. If they are shivering they need a some help to keep warm. I have waterproof blankets for each and try to keep them covered if it is going to rain for days on end like it does here. If you have cold dry weather and allow your horse to grow their winter woolies then they can fluff and create quite the barrier and insulation from the cold. For me it's all about the comfort of the horse.

I agree with Shortpig, it depends on where you live. Here in central Vermont, it gets into the minus 20's in the winter, and sometimes we get tons of snow or rain or wind (or all three together!), so I blanket when it gets down to 10 degrees or so, or if it's cold and sleety, or if the temperature changes really quickly in one day - like from 70 during the day to 20 at night - until the weather evens out and they get used to the cold. My babies are really furry (think llama) in the winter, but they do appreciate those blankets when it's really cold! (Even my gelding, who thinks he's a Real Tough Guy - men!
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Well my mini's are spoiled. Now that they have they're show coats still from Nationals I put they're day sheet's on at night when it hit's 40* here cause they have NO hair on them even though they're barned. But, this winter I will put they're winter blankets on them in and out of the barn at 30*. My barn is insulated but it might as well not be. It's a metal barn and it's got real thin insulation and it gets about 2-3* above or below what it is outside, so it's not much. However, it does keep them dry and happy. They could be where they used to live in the desert w/ the high winds blowing up they're wazzo w/ just a covered shelter from all sides but one and NO barn.

Well my mini's are spoiled. Now that they have they're show coats still from Nationals I put they're day sheet's on at night when it hit's 40* here cause they have NO hair on them even though they're barned. But, this winter I will put they're winter blankets on them in and out of the barn at 30*. My barn is insulated but it might as well not be. It's a metal barn and it's got real thin insulation and it gets about 2-3* above or below what it is outside, so it's not much. However, it does keep them dry and happy. They could be where they used to live in the desert w/ the high winds blowing up they're wazzo w/ just a covered shelter from all sides but one and NO barn. By the way I live in MO.

I rarely if ever blanket the minis and it gets pretty darn cold around here. I've blanketed two of the mares when they were sick during cold weather, otherwise they've been fine in just their winter woolies. And, I blanketed my new stallion last winter as he came here from warmer region in November and his coat wasn't thick enough for our weather. I have enough blankets for everyone should they need one, but so far, everyone normally does fine without.

I dont blanket anyone unless its in the winter and they have a cold...or in the spring when they are body clipped and its still chilly.

I'll be blanketing my mare Lexus for the first time this winter. She doesn't get much of a winter coat. The past two winters, she actually shivers in her hind end (almost looks like she is tying up or something). So she'll be blanketed. I'll wait until it gets pretty cold (like below zero celsius at night). The two boys will be naked (Royal is all set for winter already) For a horse that's been clipped, for whatever reason, I think I'd start blanketing at least at night once the temp. at night is 5 or 10 degrees celsius (a lighter blanket).

We allow our's to grow a good winter coat which is better than a blanket.

Unless they are clipped or not feeling well, we rarely blanket. And, of course a newborn needs one until they can regulate their own body temp.

Thank you to everyone for your replies and thoughts on blanketing. It is very interesting for me to see that most people don't blanket their mini's. I guess they do have a pretty nice thick natural coat. I always at my regular horses under lights and blanketed (lightly) as it was Southern California but they got such a short shiny coat under lights, that they needed something to keep them warm. Anyway, thanks again.

ps. no-one puts their show mini's under lights?Does everyone just body clip before a show?

ps. no-one puts their show mini's under lights?Does everyone just body clip before a show?
I can not answer for everyone else, but no we do not put our mini's under lights, we body clip before each show.

I do not allow my mini's to grow a full winter coat here in South Florida. We have crazy weather in the winter, as low as 30*-40* at night and as high as 80*-90* during the day. With more warm weather than cold, I keep them trimmed and blanket them at night. I have also ALWAYS blanketed my biggies at night if the temp goes below 50*. Spoiled I know but Florida horses are not use to the cold and none of my biggies get a thick winter coat.

I won't clip mine other then they're bridle paths and maybe they're faces if I can't stand it till a week before they're first show. However, I do keep an eye on them for any creeping crude they might get in case I need to clip around they're legs as I let mine pasture out during the day and the grass here is very wet in Mo. It's been WET all summer long and if the hair is long who knows what they could get underneath, so I keep an eye on that. But, if it's a beautiful sunny day out I don't blanket, only at night. But, I spoil mine. I think it probably comes from having them out in the elements in the desert and feeling so sorry for them and I just can't let go of that even though now they're in a barn. I'm still a sucker and feel sorry for them. But, they're hair is pretty short.

In they're defense though, they do shiver and if they shiver I blanket, especially my gelding, he's the biggest baby, loves to be warm in the winter. TJ

Every horse is different as is their tolerence to cold. I read often on here that somehow minis have some super strength coat that simply does not allow wetness to get to the skin. I am not sure how many are actually feeling their minis to the skin. There is no water barrier in the coat. A good soaking rain in 35 degree weather and you have some cold horses if they are left outside. I as a general rule do not blanket in the winter unless a horse appears to be uncomfortable.

IF a horse gets wet and cold then of course blanket but why are people letting horses out in 35 degree rain?

Lyn

Latest posts

Back