When my mini starts to shed....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
I feel so bad for Éowyn when it gets warmer out and she's trying to itch off all that fur! Its still winter here, but its been warming up--its about 32 degrees right now so the snow is melting a little bit. What do you do when your mini's start to shed? I don't have clippers so I couldn't shave her whole body, but would a shedding blade help? She will probably start in March. Let me know, thanks!

Brush brush brush. Everyday. My pregnant mares are starting to shed like crazy, but with the weather like it is, one day warm and the next day rain or cold I will not shave them. February is not a good time to shave horses anyways. Just brush daily, twice daily if you need/want to. You can use a curry comb and get a lot of dead hair out as well as a shedding blade. I also like to spray them with Show sheen after the grooming.

A shedding block does the trick!
default_smile.png

I like to use a pin brush on the really thick coated ones in the beginning. They make one that is self cleaning (just push a button and it pushes the hair off)that is for dogs with thick undercoats. Of course once the hair gets thinner I switch to a curry or shedding blade, the pin brush is to pokey for their sensitive skin once the pins can reach thro the coat.

These are all great ideas--thanks! Where can I buy these? Would they be at a local feed store or walmart/target something?

Thanks!

The pin brush and the Furminator (and knock offs of it) are available at pet stores and anywhere they sell pet products (some feed stores here carry both feed and pet supplies).

Now - a metal curry comb. In a month or so - rubber curry, rubber mit, rubber "brush". If all I have time for is just a quick once over, I stick it in my "butt pocket" while feeding and "hit" each pony for a few strokes on each side (takes an hour longer at each feeding since I'm doing 20 head - but my arms don't usually hold out to do all of them every day at each feeding -
default_whistling.gif
)

I also use the little, fingered bath mitts from the dollar store or Wal-mart. They don't work quite yet, no "teeth" to get into the hair. They work really well for "scrubbies" for bath time, better for me than the larger ones made for horses. I keep them in my grooming buckets and use them alot for grooming heads after a sweaty workout - works great to dry sweat and clean it off their faces - and pop right into the washer/dryer. CHEAP and last a long time... I know i have two that were in my daughters' grooming buckets (color matched for them and theri ponies/horses) that are more than 8 yrs now... something like this - http://compare.ebay.com/like/230885312430 Think they are cheaper at wal-mart but still - a couple dollars for each mitt?? cheapest "brushes" I've ever purchased!!

Latest posts

Back