When do they bray

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackerjackjack

Reaction score
I have another question. My little jack does not bray. When do they start this? My jenny brays. Everytime she sees me in the morning, she brays really loud. My jack puts his head up, looks like he is braying, but only little soft squeeks come out. He is a year old. Should he be braying?

i think it depends on the individual... i have only had one baby born here, Ellie Mae is now almost 7 months old, she has been "trying" to bray for a few months but just recently is getting out some pretty good ones... sorry i don't have more info for you!

I have 15 month old Daisy, and her momma Lily. Daisy has yet to make as mature of a hee haw as her momma. Usually she just sounds like an obscene phone caller or like she's trying to hock up a lung. Momma, however, can really let her rip, and it seems to me like as long as Lily is doing the job, why bother?!

The main times when the bray is: when they see me or my husband coming, when someone pulls in the driveway, when they want to be let in for their grain, and when the rural fire department siren goes off. That sounds like a lot, but really it's only a few times a day. In the depths of the summer when they have lots of grass and the fire alarm isn't going off, I don't hear from them for days.

So give him time. He'll figure it out, then you'll be sorry he did!!

Jayne

Tinkerbelle brays 2-6 times a day but both her and Remi have the squeaky thing going a lot. I think they sound like a squeaky toy gone bad. She brays when she sees me get up and turn on the kitchen light in the A.M., again when she wants her food if I'm not out there when she thinks I should be. Both mine were born in April so are almost 7 months old. I said I wish they would bray more and Marnie told me "That's enough." Don't you just love to listen to them? I do.
default_wub.png
:

:saludando: Emilly was 5 months old when we got her and I had never heard or even seen a donkey before. My husband and son picked her up and when I saw her for the first time I laughed, she was so cute and she let out the loudest bray. She did it alot for a couple of months and then Max moved in, he was 2 and couldn't really do it. He has since brayed only about half dozen times. He wheezes and tries but nothing comes out, just like the obscene phone caller... odd....I do wish that they would sing
default_yes.gif
: I even tried to seperate them but nothing happened, except the horse gets upset when someone is missing
default_wacko.png
: ... he sings!

Trust me ... he'll belt one out.

It may be a "foghorn" type bray. But he'll pipe up one day
default_yes.gif
:

Too funny... all the descriptions of the little ones' brays :new_rofl: Yup, obscene phone caller, squeaky toys gone bad... that pretty much sums it up!
default_yes.gif
: Sometimes my little girls will really belt one out, and I do notice they're braying more the past couple of weeks and I'm very happy :bgrin When I come home from work I always get a greeting ~ love it, love it
default_wub.png
: Bonnie, I don't think I will ever tire of it either.

And how about the *expression* that goes with the bray? I notice similar expressions in my two, but Gracie takes the cake. Head cocked slightly to the side, eyes nearly crossed, tongue out the side... and her squeaky squawky music starts :eek: I swear, she really doesn't look "right" when she does it, but I love it
default_wub.png
: I would imagine they'll fine-tune their songs over the next couple years?

My jack puts his head up, looks like he is braying, but only little soft squeeks come out.
I'll bet he shows you a real hee haw soon!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back