what's the best product for stopping chewing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
i'm sure it's strictly boredom since these guys have almost free-choice grass hay but somebody (not sure who but suspect it's one or both of the mini boys because of the location) is chewing on a barn. this is one of those amish-made sheds i had brought in when i had llamas. my big gelding can't get in but the mini boys can and do.

rebelllamabarn-2.jpg

i noticed this morning that there is some chewing going on at the edges on the front of the barn. i'd like your recommendations as to products (either bought or home-made) that i can use to discourage this. i'd like to find something that, when applied, won't darken the wood. this barn is made w/treated wood and i've never had a horse chew treated wood until now.

thanks for any suggestions!

Charlene, I bought a cayenne pepper spray made for horses I've used it on small spots they started in the barn. It works pretty good. Kathy

thanks for the suggestion, kathy. i'll see if i can find it at the farm supply store.

Rub a bar of soap on the wood. I have heard Irish Spring, but I only had Ivory on hand and used it and my Giddy stayed away..

Charlene,

When we get a chewer we brush red hot sauce on the area - they usually stop right away.

We use blue palmolive dish soap. It works, but it has to be the blue stuff.

Irish Spring user here too.....and it has worked fo rus. We've tried the pricey sprays and I would have been better off flushing my money down the commode.
default_saludando.gif

"what's the best product for stopping chewing, bored horses?"

What, you chew your horses?
default_new_shocked.gif
I chew them out, but have never been tempted to take a nibble!
default_new_rofl.gif

"what's the best product for stopping chewing, bored horses?"

Work.

Sorry. No help, am I?
default_whistling.gif

Leia

And Leia...

WHY do horses chew wood?

To get the grain out!

default_whistling.gif

Andrea

Anyway... there was a feral cockatoo here at the barn, was chewing all the wood railings up on the porch. Put on the metal edge protectors and worked like a charm.

disneyhorse said:
And Leia...
WHY do horses chew wood?

To get the grain out!

default_whistling.gif

Andrea
::groan!:: :DOH! :DOH!

In a more sincere answer Charlene, we've used the hot sauce and oil mixture and had some limited success on my mother's beaver, then finally resorted to covering all edges in metal as Andrea mentions.

Leia

leia, i would love nothing better than to work the pee outta these guys but right now, we have 8" of new snow, rain on the way, it's cold, the roads are slick and well, you get the picture. :DOH!

i'll get a bottle of hot pepper sauce and a bar of irish spring soap. if one doesn't work, i'll try the other. if the other doesn't work, i'll mix 'em. if that doesn't work, i'll just let 'em have the barn!
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back