What Name Brand Ration Balancer do you use???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mylilgirls

Reaction score
What name brand of Ration Balancer has worked for you? I have a chubby & skinny to feed.

Ok I am switching feed & feed stores, and need to go soon so I can mix and slowly switch them.

I would like to find a Ration Balancer that would work for all of them & just put extra in the skinny ones, like beet pulp or. Open to ideas on that to.

1. I have a rescue pony Stormy 9 years old, a little under weight she has bad joints & hocks, I have her on Silver Lining Herb sups. I have tried everything under the sun, nothing help her over the last year, Silver Lining Herbs has help.

2. A mini she was also a rescue Flica 3 years old, Fat Fat Fat I feed her in her stall, very little feed and a carrot cut up.I keep her in her stall 4 hours in the am & 4 hours in the pm now for the last month, all 5 are on a 1/2 acre to a 3/4 acre & I mow the high spots every week.

3. A mini Dollie 3 years old, She is in good shape & fit. I do keep her stalled the same way I have Flica ( there own stalls ) just so Flica is not alone.

4. Mollie 9 years old, she is a larger mini & again a rescue, little under weight, She had founder ( was not grass founder, there was none, They lived off of tree bark, every tree was stipped as high as they could reach ) & she had no hoove care before she came, curled up kind
flamingmad.gif
, My farrier work on her and she is doing better every day. Will need to be trime every 4 to 5 weeks to get them back to what they should be. They also get hay,

5. Booker 4 month old mini, rescued with mollie I have his foal feed picked out & he is on it now, but he to will one day be on the same thing as the rest I hope.

So Please let me know what has worked for you, I want to have a few name brands in mind, incase they dont have one I have a back up name brand or 2.

Thanks to everyone

I feed Progressive Nutrition ProAdvantage grass formula ration balancer to everyone from suckling up to 26 years old, its the base for my feed program along with grass hay and/or pasture. It provides the proper vitamins/minerals/protein to balance your hay/forage fed (they make an alfalfa formula also); then, if needed, you add oats (or other plain grain) for calories.

The maintenance horses, get just the ration balancer and grass hay. My lactating mare gets the ration balancer, a little growth formula, grass hay and a little alfalfa hay. My one skinny gelding, gets the ration balancer plus senior and a little beet pulp for calories (he foundered before I got him on oats, so I don't feed him plain oats - he might be fine on them now, but I don't want to find out). My senior gelding (full-size) gets the ration balancer, Lo-Carb (he likes it so it keeps him eating), oats, senior, grass hay pellets, and free choice hay/grazing. I really like this feed program, its a little pricey per bag, but cost per head per day really isn't that bad; I go through 3-4 bags per month for 10 minis and 1 full-size horse (mini maintenance is 1/2# daily, full-size maintenance is 1.5# daily).

Does any one use TC 30? if so let me know you do or dont like it.

Thanks a bunch

Purina Enrich 32 is a low fat ration balancer that seems to fit what ever the need is for mine.

It is also a type to be used with grass hay and not alfalfa.

I also use Enrich 32, because I feed grass hay and it is low fat for my easy keepers. I would like to use Progressive but cannot get it in this area. After researching products, Enrich 32 has worked wonders for my horses and I can have it ordered at 2 feed stores here. I personally mix it with Timothy/Alfalfa pellets, then if I want to add anything else I don't feel I am giving them to rich of feed and it is easy.

I fed Buckeye Gro N Win and really liked it although went to a regular "grain" as the ration balancers just were not enough for my horses which tend to more so be medium - harder keepers. Buckeye also had a ration ballancer called Buckeye Gro N Win Alfalfa which is made to be fed along with Alfalfa..it is only a 12% protein level. I like the buckeye R/B's more then the Purina R/B which is odd as I am more of a Purina fan..

I've been using the Purina ration balancer for a couple of years now and my minis seem pretty healthy! They changed the name once and now it's the Enrich 32. I also feed alfalfa and a timothy/orchard grass pellet. I don't like to feed straight alfalfa and it's really hard to find non-fescue grass hay in my area. Each mini gets 2/3 cup of the ration balancer.

Well, I want to thank you for all in-put. I went to a new feed store & I was going to do the tc 30 but they did not have it so what I will be feeding now, Enrich 32 and for the under weight pony I will be adding Amplify to her enrich 32, They do get a good grass mix hay, So we will see

again

Thank You to all

Buckeye Gro 'n Win. My guys are all easy keepers. The stallions get a bit less than 1/4lb morning and night. Lex gets .5lb morning and night (lactating). Briar (the foal) gets a Buckeye Foal Starter, which is an 18% milk based pellet. That and hay is all they get and they are all at a great weight...couldn't be happier. If you look at what's in it, it's more than just vitamins and minerals (what a lot of people like to think). It includes alfalfa meal, flax seed, beet pulp, etc. It's a perfect compliment to a grass/hay or alfalfa diet:

http://www.buckeyenutrition.com/equine/GNW...ct%20manual.pdf

I use Nutrena Lite Balance for my mini's and donkey.

For feeding up my Rescue mare that has chronic founder... I use Nutrena Safechoice and soaked beet pulp. I soak have the Safechoice and mix it in with the soaked beet pulp, this gets them used the beet pulp as many horses won't eat it on its own. She also gets free choice Grass hay.

Tribute Essential K. Love it. Both are in better condition, not just weight, since I switched.

My big horse suddenly started gaining weight on Nutrena Lite...then my supplier switched to Tribute. Seems Nutrena has started to bulk out their feed with corn
default_sad.png
That was about 8 months ago. I understand I was not the only one to see a difference.

Tribute has several options...I understand they rank right up with Progressive.

Jackie

Latest posts

Back