what makes a good buyer?'

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krissy3

Someone had a post on the forum asking about breeders selling horses and how to make a good apperance...well I have an interesting question as a buyer and not a breeder....What do breeders look for in a person who is interested in buying one of their horses. What makes you think this person would be a good horse owner for one of your horses.?

Krissy........The number one thing for me is -- Does the buyer know what they are truly looking for in a horse or pony? Have they done their HOMEWORK???????

Second, is their place set up for horses or their first pony? (If they've done their homework, it should be.) We've had people visit to buy what they think they want, only to change their minds. And then it's discovered that they have to build fencing and/or a shelter first!

I feel really good when I'm dealing with buyers who know how to take care of horses well and who have a plan for the horse they are buying from me. So far, I've actually only let one of my foals go to a new home (a filly I had born in 2001), but have sold other horses as my goals changed, etc. I've been happy dealing with those who didn't just want the horse because he or she looked neat, was a cool color, etc. Mine have gone on to homes where they learned to do tricks, became broodmares, learned to be show horses, etc. I liked that in each case, the person who ended up with the horse had a good plan and it was a plan I thought the horse in question would be good at
default_smile.png

For my part I like to see the potential buyer knowing something about horses--even if there is a lack of experience I like to see evidence of a genuine interest (as opposed to a spur of the moment interest that you're almost positive will fade away before they've owned a horse for a month)--they'll ask the right questions and express a genuine desire to learn all they can. I want to see that they have a genuine liking for animals and evidence that they are kind to animals...and yes, I can get a pretty good sense of that when I see them with the horses.

Things I don't like to see...

- the blowhard--this person is all mouth and is talking ad nauseum about how much he/she knows about horses and about all these experiences they've had with horses...and in the process they are revealing just how little they really do know and how miserable they are toward their horses

-the person who announces that they are starting a riding program for children and they want that horse (points to one that isn't for sale) for their program...and when they are told that particular horse is unsuitable as a riding horse for children because of his attitude the person brags that it's no problem at all because sonny boy here (points to oversize child that is much too big to be riding the horse in question) will ride the horse and teach him what's what

-the person who complains the price is too high and they only want to offer $100 because that's what they could have bought one for last weekend...or because that's what they can buy one for from so and so in the next town...

I have to know the horse will be well taken care of and I like to know the buyer has a realistic plan for the horse--they should be choosing a horse that is suitable for the goals they have. I don't mind if it's a new to horses person that has to put up fencing/shelter before they can take the horse home, as long as the plan is realistic. If they come on Thursday evening and look and say they will buy the horse and pick him up on Saturday, but Friday they have to do their fencing and build their shelter then no, I know it isn't going to happen--I can bet money that they will not be back on Saturday to pay their money & pick up their horse!
default_wink.png

YEP..sounds like we all agree on this topic, I was just curious as a buyer what the seller thinks of us. I am one of those that needs a quiet horse that goes with my personality....if I buy the pretty shiney one that is a show stopper but has an attitude Well, then we will be bickering all the time , and thats no way to live for a horse or human. I let the buyer get to know me , then pair us up ...and if i like the horse too ...well then its GREAT! the horse I am looking at today is quiet , easy to train , and needs a soft hand touch...however her head is not dished like I like it to be , its more of a Quarter horse head , but she has a real soft eye. I know thats OK for the judging,she is just a bit of a "wallflower" and so quiet you dont even notice her. But in a way I like that "less drama"...I am nervious enough at the shows , I need a horse that can say "MOM relax, were gonna be fine"

Things I don't like to see...- the blowhard--this person is all mouth and is talking ad nauseum about how much he/she knows about horses and about all these experiences they've had with horses...and in the process they are revealing just how little they really do know and how miserable they are toward their horses

-the person who announces that they are starting a riding program for children and they want that horse (points to one that isn't for sale) for their program...and when they are told that particular horse is unsuitable as a riding horse for children because of his attitude the person brags that it's no problem at all because sonny boy here (points to oversize child that is much too big to be riding the horse in question) will ride the horse and teach him what's what

-the person who complains the price is too high and they only want to offer $100 because that's what they could have bought one for last weekend...or because that's what they can buy one for from so and so in the next town...
You've hit that nail on the head! Add to that

- the rude critic - walks onto your farm and tells you everything that is wrong with every horse and with your program

Things I don't like to see...- the blowhard--this person is all mouth and is talking ad nauseum about how much he/she knows about horses and about all these experiences they've had with horses...and in the process they are revealing just how little they really do know and how miserable they are toward their horses

- the rude critic - walks onto your farm and tells you everything that is wrong with every horse and with your program
Also add the guy that wants one for his little (3yr old) girl, but it has to be a mare and it has to be big enough for her to ride a few years and it has to be perfect conformation and it has to be reasonably priced (like $250 or less) God forbid I suggest a sweet little gelding (already gelded-2 or 3yrs old) that the little one likes and can already walk with for $500. I just have no idea what I am talking about.

Or the lady that wants a cart broke gelding that will pull her and her kids around the farm and be broke well enough for parades for $300 or less. Oh, and if I could throw in a cart and harness for and extra $50, that would be great!!!!!
default_wacko.png

Also add the guy that wants one for his little (3yr old) girl, but it has to be a mare and it has to be big enough for her to ride a few years and it has to be perfect conformation and it has to be reasonably priced (like $250 or less) God forbid I suggest a sweet little gelding (already gelded-2 or 3yrs old) that the little one likes and can already walk with for $500. I just have no idea what I am talking about.

Or the lady that wants a cart broke gelding that will pull her and her kids around the farm and be broke well enough for parades for $300 or less. Oh, and if I could throw in a cart and harness for and extra $50, that would be great!!!!!
default_wacko.png

I had to smile at all this, because I have felt EXACTLY LIKE THIS TOO MANY TIMES TO COUNT!!!!

Sunday afternoon visits always make me feel like a petting zoo.... nothing else to do, so lets go see some minis. Especially if two moms come with a mini van packed with kids and strollers, or divorced daddies spending quality time with their kids. Making appointments instead of just showing up makes me think someone MIGHT be serious.

Wearing of flip flops and skimpy sandals makes me feel like the buyer is just visiting minis, not real serious, and the comments... EeeeW, I stepped on a piece of manure! Or she put slobber on my shorts!....Makes me think she is just visiting a petting zoo. ( PS.... the barn yards are spotless too!)

Asking questions is a good thing.... no questions or questions like.. which one is the mommy and which one is the daddy? , makes me feel like I might be wasting my time again.

Showing up when promised is a good buyer, even if they don't buy. Dont you hate it waiting all day and they don't show or even call or email to let you know.

Having the barn already built or almost ready with fencing up or almost up helps me think someone is serious.

Health questions, and most questions make me think a buyer might be a good one.

Robin

Education about horses in general and hopefully miniatures. People that have done thir homework and understand general terms and know what they want to do with the new horse they are trying to buy.
default_wub.png

For instance why you do not ask a 26 inch horse to pull a cart with three 150 kids in it in sandy soil, or asking high sprited driving horse with a lot of fire to be a perfect 4 year old kids backyard pet. Either is a pescription for diaster and will not go well for the new owner or the horse itself.
default_new_shocked.gif

YEP..sounds like we all agree on this topic, I was just curious as a buyer what the seller thinks of us. I am one of those that needs a quiet horse that goes with my personality....if I buy the pretty shiney one that is a show stopper but has an attitude Well, then we will be bickering all the time , and thats no way to live for a horse or human. I let the buyer get to know me , then pair us up ...and if i like the horse too ...well then its GREAT! the horse I am looking at today is quiet , easy to train , and needs a soft hand touch...however her head is not dished like I like it to be , its more of a Quarter horse head , but she has a real soft eye. I know thats OK for the judging,she is just a bit of a "wallflower" and so quiet you dont even notice her. But in a way I like that "less drama"...I am nervious enough at the shows , I need a horse that can say "MOM relax, were gonna be fine"

Krissy this is exactly what I am hoping for in a client. Someone that communicates what they are looking for and I can help find the right match. Most of my clients come to us via the internet and unfortunatly they can not come in person. I really want the right horse for every client, and the best client for me is one that communicates what they want. It is a matter of trust when you are dealing with someone over the phone or internet.

I have often have people say they "just want a pet" (i.e. they want a cheap horse). Usually these are the people that eye our best horses and hope I will sell them for a fraction to them. When that fails, they often buy a better horse then they had originally budgeted for, and next thing I know they are off to the shows with it! Clearly their goals changed dramatically!

As for me, I have bought horses from all over the US and been quite pleased with most of them. I do have realistic goals and know the horse that arrives after a week of travel needs to get over their jet lag before they can give me a glimpse of what they are all about. I have time and patience and own a number of cast offs from other people that have worked out beautifully for me. Some that have taught me a lot along the way, which I am greatful for.

Latest posts

Back