What is your favorite fly spray?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite fly spray

• Total voters

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Now that summer is in full swing, the flys are getting relentless. I know that cleaning stalls and good manure management will greatly reduce fly population, but at times we do need to use fly spray. I've tried all of the expensive and cheap brands, but Im wondering what you like.

Do you really notice the spray is working? Does it last a long as the label claims? If not, how often do you re apply? Anything you HATE?

I voted Bronco, as that's what I usually buy, it works ok. I recently ordered a couple of the horse collars and legs bands to try; the collars for the saddle horses and the leg bands for the minis. I'll let you know how they work after they get here.

I voted for Ultra Sheild because thats what I use and people around this area seem to like. I don't worry about flys as much as the biters like mosquitoes and later horse and deer flys. Nasty beggars. It claims to last 14days (I think) but I find after 3 or 4 its usefulness is pretty much done. When we were kids we used ear tags for cattle tied into their manes and they seemed to work pretty well. We used those because we had access to them (parents had them for the cattle), now I don't know where to find them or I would try it for the minis who don't get worked daily.

Are you using just the regular bronco in the white bottle? Ive bought it but its never worked for me. Ive sprayed it on a horse and the flys have landed on them right after. Maybe its just the flys in my area?

PYRANHA!!!!! In the aerosol can. I worked in horses for many years and have tried many different products (including Tri Tech the poll leader). I have found Aerosol Pyranha to be the hands down winner.

I use Wipe II with citronella. I really like the spray but it is an oil base spray so if you use it at a show make sure and have towels to wipe the dirt off before going in the ring! It seems to work the best of anything I have tried for keeping bugs away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried them all, but hate all of them and a waste of $$$! It seams like shortly after spraying them, their back to swooshing their tails and covered in skeeters and deer/horse flies almost a hr later.

I hate buying it, but feel so bad so do it anyway. As of right now, Im using Ultra Shield.

When we show I like cattle barn aerosol spray - seems to work the best for us. When we trail ride though, we have more problems with mosquitos and gnats on faces and ears. For that, we take dryer sheets and tie them to the headstalls near the ears and under the throatlatch. Don't remember who told me that one, but it works really well, especially for nasty ear-biting critters! Looks a little strange, but works pretty well.

I used to have a horse who had reactions to all fly sprays, so I would get Avon skin-so-soft, add a small jar of straight citronella oil and use that on him. Worked well for him.

Otherwise, we really haven't found anything that is terribly effective, especially against those nasty yellow biting flies that we have around here.

Julie - see if you can find the pyranha in the aerosol can. It works much better than the spray bottle. I think it has a stronger concentration of the repellent.

I use Pyranha in the spray bottle for daily use and the aerosol for shows. Find it kills at application any flies and repels the best. I have yet to use a fly spray that last more than a half a day. The only other product that I really like for pasture horses is called War Paint. It looks like a stick of deodorant and you swipe it on a horse like "war paint'. I have seen it repel flies for well over a week. I especially love it for the belly, chest and face.

I use the pyranha aerosol at shows, since its aerosol it doesnt leave "marks" on the coat like the regular sprays do. I also have tried tri-tec, bite free, bronco, pyranha wipe and spray (thats the regular one) and none of them really do what they claim. Some do seem to work, but they claim 14 days and I see results for 2 days or so. Someone I know said the zonkit really works, but Im leary to keep buying fly spray like a shot in the dark. I have tons of half used bottles that I spent $15-$20 on that didnt work.

While we are on the subject, does anyone have those little wall mount bettery operated fly spray dispensers? Do they really help cut down the flys?

I voted for Ultrashield because it's the only one on the list that I do use. In truth, though, my favorite fly spray is Konk--that is what I most often use. I have never found any fly spray to last as long as the label says it will. I apply daily.

I used to get a Co-op brand fly spray called Aero Tack that worked really well. It was made from weeds and was the best stuff going. Either they changed the formula or the flies got immune, because it quit working. I don't even know if it is available any more.

I did use Bronco at one time. The first batch I bought worked really well. (I bought several bottles of it at an auction sale.) The following year I bought more at the same auction, and that batch wasn't worth using--didn't work at all. I always said I think someone watered it down before selling it.

Even tho it's one of the more expensive ones, I have used Flysect Super 7 for years because I love it and it has sunscreen in it. REALLY makes a difference with black horses. But I just noticed the last trip to the Farm and Home, it doesn't have sunscreen anymore!!!! At least it's not on the bottle anymore. So went to Ultra Shield.

Seems like I've tried them all. The one I've ended up being the most impressed with is by Absorbine - Dura Guard - It Lasts!! OIl based, sweat & water proof. I apply sparingly & a couple times a week. I have never had one react to it. Its great for gnats - no seeums - mesquitoes - stable flies - the small biting flies - bots. The only flies I have never found ANYTHING to kill or ward of are the big triangular black flies (they are almost the size of the end of my thumb) not kidding - & they hurt when they bite - they draw blood. Human or equine doesnt matter to them. we're all lunch. they come out late afternoon early evening.

BTW - I am new to the mini world - have always had 'big' horses.

Gwendys

RGS Half Pints Miniatures

tribute 2.jpg

I like Tri Tec but I reapply it every day . Bronco only works for an hour for me, but I like to use Bronco if I know I'll be hosing the horse off , because Bronco is so much cheaper.

While we are on the subject, does anyone have those little wall mount bettery operated fly spray dispensers? Do they really help cut down the flys?
To answer that, yes they really work! I've used those in various locations to run wasps out of my mare barn and they work wonders on wasps and flys. I have one now in my garage to run mud dobbers out and it works.

I have a Pyranha fly system in my show barn and couldn't live without it. Pyranha spray is the best for repelling flys, but I also use Bronco when I work horses and they are outside for a limited time.

I go to our local Ag store and in the cattle section I buy a pint of Permethrin concentrate. It costs about ten dollars. I dilute it according to the label directions and put it in an old Bronco spray bottle and use that. A pint of the stuff, for ten bucks, lasts me two to three years, depending on whether I am treating ten or twenty horses.

Well, what I use is not on your list. I don't really care for insecticides on my horses, esp. mares with foals at their side. So I use Skin so Soft from Avon. Mix it with water. I also spray their bedding with it. NO FLIES and their coats shine! And my barns smell nice!

Mine isn't on the list.

Permectrin II

You have to mix it yourself and if you really groom your horse clean, spray it on, brush it in,let it dry before you put them back out to pasture, it Will last two weeks. And it will work even at the end of the season when the flies are at their worse.

At the old farm, I used Fly predator's and after a couple of years, I didn't have flies any more, so I didn't need fly spray. Haven't done that here though.

Latest posts

Back