WHAT IS THIS SLEIGH WORTH?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMAMINIS

Reaction score
THIS IS A NICE LITTLE SLEIGH THAT FITS A 36"-38" MINI. VERY SOLID & STRONG. WELL BUILT LITTLE SLEIGH, AND OF COURSE CUTE!!! JUST WONDERING WHAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS IS WORTH AND WOULD IT BE CONSIDERED ANTIQUE BY THE WAY THE RUNNERS COME UP SO HIGH. IT IS EASY TO SAY THIS IS ABOUT 40 YRS? TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK! THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY HAVE!

100_1622.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/cr...ng/100_1620.jpg[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it looks like an antique sleigh that has been redone--metal work is original, runners (wooden part) may or may not be the original runners, but the box/seat/dash has all been replaced in the not too distant past. I'm sure no expert on antique vehicles, but the few antique cutters I've seen were made of a different type of wood--a very fine/thin wood (there's a name for it but I can't remember what it is!)

I had a full size restored antique cutter that I bought at auction--paid $250 for it, and it was in pristine condition. When I resold it a few years later that's what I got for it, $250.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY IDEA? OR MAYBE WHAT WOULD YOU PAY FOR IT IF BUYING IT YOURSELF? THANKS AGAIN!!!
default_smile.png

I have no idea what it's worth, but it sure is cute!
default_smile.png
If we had more snow here, I'd love to have something like that.

Well, in this area there isn't a huge demand for horse drawn sleighs and even less at a farm auction sale where I bought mine. The funny part is, another Morgan person was bidding on the sleigh too but she quit early & when it closed at $250 she proclaimed it "a piece of junk". Why? Because it had been stored in an old granary, the covering had come off of it, and it had some pidgeon poop on it! I took it home, washed it off & had a perfectly lovely sleigh! Someone had put a lot of money into restoring it.

We used it only a few times; unfortunately in this part of the country we don't always get the right conditions for sleighing--roads get plowed bare and to drive in the fields there's either no snow or too much snow--or else it's just too cold. Not my idea of fun to be out sleighing when it's -30 with a howling wind! When we decided to resell it we advertised it for a long time with no takers and finally sold it at a local horse & tack auction.

Had we been in some other location where winter driving conditions are more ideal and more people are into driving, we might have been able to sell ours for more (and likewise had to pay more for it).

Also, around here people are very into the "I can make one just like that for a lot less money" thinking. In reality their home made sleigh will be much less streamlined and attractive than an authentic version, but for their purposes their home made one works very well. So, they won't pay more for an authentic one.

Edited to add: I just looked at Leia's links--the "sleigh" we had was actually a McLaughlin cutter, identical to the one on the Summit View Carriage site, except ours was black with red and the upholstery was a plainer fabric, not velvet. I have photos somewhere, but I have no idea where I'd find them now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Crystal, NICE sleigh !! If its in ready-to-use condition, I would pay up to $ 300-350 for it. I'm no expert on antique values and such, its up to you what its worth , I guess. It would be great to hitch a mini to it, and of course, some bells, too
default_yes.gif
:

Karin

I would think about $500 But give it a paint job and some velvet seat covers and It would be worth alot more.
default_yes.gif
:

I agree with Devon! Spend a little on paint and fabric, maybe an inexpensive faux fur lap blanket and hang a wreath on it for the sale pics and you'll get a LOT more for it. (especially if you can get a shot with some snow on the ground around it).

Latest posts

Back