What do we have ???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kachet

Reaction score
My wife has adopted via rescue program (2) horses. But we're not exactly sure what we have. We have not previously owned smaller equine so would like a touch of clarification. We we're told they were mini's. But in measuring them the 2 yo is about 39-40". The yearling is now about 36".

They are not registered and that's not really a for us problem as the intent is to use them in a Thereputic riding program some day. We will work with them for all the proper mannering and handling we feel equine need. Ultimately once of appropriate age some light riding by young small children and more extensively trained to harness and driving.

So would it be safe to say we have "oversized/overgrown" mini's or small ponies ? This is more a curiosity question than a technical registration question. We also own 5 full size horses which we have raised 4 from foals, so we feel comfortable taking this on. We have had them about 3 weeks and our farrier has begun correcting their feet and we had our vet do a check up with vaccinations started as there is no history available. They were literally pulled off a trailer leaving a drive way heading to auction.

We're really looking forward to this and find it very stress relieving working with them. Yes they are darn smart, little escape artists and of course to us cute as a button.

Thx's and appreciate any input

Mike

Definitely add some pictures. We love watching the progress of these little guys! I won't comment as to breed due to my own inexperience, but size sounds to me like ponies. Good luck, this is a GREAT place to learn & get information! Welcome!

could possible be overgrown minis. Kudos to you both for taking them in!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like small ponies! I hope they thrive for you!

Over-grown minis/small ponies....basically the same.....

With the right temperament and right training they sound perfect for the job you have planned for them.

Kuddos for giving them a home.

I would love to see a picture! They might be more american shetland at that size, which would be absolutely perfect for what you want. Well done for rescuing them
default_smile.png

Keep in mind minis are measured at the last hair of the mane, not at the top of the withers

Latest posts

Back