What is the best coat or all around feed supplement you've used?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHunterHorseFan

Reaction score
I'd like to put my horse on a coat or all around feed supplement. What is the best one you have used? Oh and if anyone has before and after pictures of their horses with it too, that would be nice. I used Gold-as-sun by Chevel last year and I thought it didn't work but I think it did because this year he has had all sorts of skin problems and he didn't last year. So what is your favorite supplement?

Ii think I'd have to say that Sho Glo is still my all time favorite. It helps more than coat; the one winter we were having major problems with hoofs cracking & splitting & breaking on the ice & frozen ground. We put the horses all on Sho Glo & that ended the hoof troubles very quickly.

You know, I've just been doing an experiment with coat supplements for the past two months, a different one for each horse (not at my barn, the one I work for).

One product randomly recommended by my feed store, called "EquiPride" has REALLY impressed me. WHOA! Dandruffy black horse is now shiny, coat still short, and no dandruff.

I'm impressed enough I'm considering it for my own ponies.

In the past, I've used and will recommend Select Nu-Image though.

Andrea

I agree with Minimor. I really like Sho Glo and it's fairly inexpensive.

I have not tried EquiPride but have really heard good things about it. There's a farm not far from me that raises Worlds quality halter QHs and they swear by it! Best part is it's made right here in my home state!
default_yes.gif
:

A top dress pellet called BMZ ... I get it through Purina Feeds Dealer but not sure of the actual company that makes it, sorry. I did find it once by just doing a websearch for "BMZ".

Also use crushed flax seed, small coffee scoop on top of regular feed.

Ground flax seed!!! Simple, cheap but so effective. I've used other prepared feed thru coat conditioners, but none of them worked better for my horses than the ground flax seed. And, of course, before people start trying to tweak things w/ supplements, a foundatiion of a good quality feed program is the most important by far.

Disneyhorse, I have been using EquiPride for three years now and absolutely LOVE IT! The only other supplement I use is Color Check for coat color. I have seen a marked improvement in coat color on my Black mare and my Silver Bay gelding.

Carol

Latest posts

Back