What is a Fabella?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCaseFamily00

Reaction score
So my husband and I was going to town and he asks me what is a fabella? I said you've been looking at the forum haven't you,lol. I thought maybe it was a color or breed,did a search with not much luck. I had never even heard the word in the big horse world. Enlighten me please
default_saludando.gif
. Pics would be great,thanks.

Your question makes me smile......because I was just recently in a book store and picked up a picture-book on Horse Breeds. In it there was a page on Miniature Horses......but it was all about the Falabella!

The Falabella miniatures are actually a bloodline out of South America. The name comes from the breeder and ranch. The man has since passed away but his children still operate the ranch and (I think?) export? (At one time they had stopped exporting, but am not sure if that's still the case.)

Senor Falabella developed his Line of miniatures by crossing primarily shetland ponies with the small spotted South American ponies from his region. He may have cross bred other miniature lines or small ponies, but those have never been admitted to......

Because of Senor Falabella's addition of his region's mountain ponies, we can thank him for some wonderful colorful appys!

Yes, they are actually from the herd of the Falabella family, thus they were dubbed with that name to show where they originated. Chianti was one of the imports from Senor Falabellas herd, as were quite a few others. Falabellas also come in solids and pintos too, but to most, when the name is mentioned, loud Appy coloring comes to mind.

One of Senor Falabellas daughters (I believe) had moved to the U.S. and continued to breed, but Laurie Stevens at Toyland Ranch purchased the rest of her herd a few short years back, to continue with the tradition of the little horses that the Falabella family were so careful about breeding. If you contact Laurie, she is very nice and will probably be glad to answer any questions.

I agree, me too! And there is such a wonderful wealth of knowledge here with folks about ALL kinds of stuff!!!
default_biggrin.png

They are specifically from Argentina (the Falabella family is in Argentina). The last I heard Angelina Falabella who had horses in the US & Argentina sold out her stock in the US, so now they have to be imported directly from Argentina, but you can find a lot of pure Falabella breeders here in the US & Canada. All Falabellas must trace back to imported stock.

I personally like the American/Falabella blend Miniatures, I have two in my herd.

They are specifically from Argentina (the Falabella family is in Argentina). The last I heard Angelina Falabella who had horses in the US & Argentina sold out her stock in the US, so now they have to be imported directly from Argentina, but you can find a lot of pure Falabella breeders here in the US & Canada. All Falabellas must trace back to imported stock.
I personally like the American/Falabella blend Miniatures, I have two in my herd.

I know someone here that is selling all her double registered mares she purchased in the US that had false height measurements on the AMHA papers (whole other story, and she is just passing on the lies instead of selling them as a AMHR) Anywho... her idea is to start breeding Falabellas with her smaller double registered horses to get the size down. Is there a trick to having the correct papers, so these newly bred horses can be shown in the AMHA shows...other than the height. The breeder cant be trusted, and by the time you find out you have been dooped by her the 9 day return on animal policy is over and you have fallen for the poor horse. Also , tell me why you like the blend,what are the differences? I thought it was size and the color, but I really cant tell them apart from the others. they dont look more refined, head is not dished and refined, but they are cute.

Also , tell me why you like the blend,what are the differences? I thought it was size and the color, but I really cant tell them apart from the others. they dont look more refined, head is not dished and refined, but they are cute.
I can't tell you exactly why I like them, I have just found a lot of the horses I like have Falabella in them! I like that it's an outcross, but I like the appaloosa, and a lot of the Miniature appys have a Falabella in them. The Falabellas are a hardy lot, and also can be long lived, they had one stallion in Argentina who lived to be in his 40's and was still siring foals! They are slower to mature, much more likely to look fully mature at 5 years old.

I have several falabella blend horses.

I love the falabella in our breedings.

378555039.jpg
(Sreenans King Tut in pedigree)

378555038.jpg
(Chianti in pedigree)

378555036.jpg
(Comofin in pedigree)

I do find it a bit interesting that the "FMHA'S Official Web Site" fails to mention that Patrick Newell actually imported 5 Shetland Stallions from the UK way back in the 1840-1850's.

But the falabellas were 'marketed' very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also like the Falabella breeding but also love the blends too. I was very pleased this spring when my 30.5" Falabella leopard stallion and my 32" Falabella leopard mare produced a Tiny Gorgeous Pure Falabella True Few Spot Colt. He is very small and perfect from head to toe. I feel very lucky to have gotten him as I don't think there are too many Pure Falabella Few Spots out there. At least not many that I know of so he is a real Gem to me and he was quite a Surprise when he came out !!!!

Here is a couple pics I have of him but he was just a couple months old and furry.

He is 100% Falabella

taterheada.jpg

taterhead.jpg

Here is his Sire..... 100% Falabella

Tino1.jpg

Here is his Dam..... 100% Falabella

Charina_near2.jpg

I also had a Beautiful Tiny Falabella Blend Filly this year. Her sire is pictured above but her Dam is American Miniature. Here is a couple pics of the filly. She will be shown on 2010. Her head is so Araby and her color pattern is so unique.

50% Falabella

Trixiehead.jpg

trixieheada.jpg

Look how her color is coming out !!!!

trixieheadb.jpg

Here is her Dam.... American Miniature

Shooter3.jpg

Sorry for all the pics.... I really like the Falabellas and Blends and love to post pics of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
P1.jpg

This is my 100% breed Falabella Stallion Prospero, all his ancestors have the falabella prefix from the ranch in Argentina and his pedigree goes right back to his great great granparents. He is 2 years old in this picture and you cant really see his spots but now at 3 he has loads , need to get an updated photo...

I find the Falabella line to be really strong and healthy, great to add to your breeding programs..

The Falabella is not a breed it is a prefix that over the years has become very well known to the point of people thinking it is a breed of horse...but never the less it is a nice line of miniature horse
default_smile.png

Great, informative thread. I've wondered about the Falabella too. My hat's off to those of you who are breeding pure Fallabella. The mixes are beautiful.....let's face it there are a lot of beautiful small horses out there....but to strive to continue the pure breed line is admirable.

Love my three boys, One Falabella and two falabella blends... They are so smart and personable. Appy color is the icing on the cake, but the temperament and comical attitude and ability to communicate. Love them! I have a friend that used to be caretaker for three falabella minis. They are still alive and quite aged and still healthy and going strong. They are driving minis. cheers
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back