What does everyone pay...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpinJackFarm

Reaction score
This should be quite interesting what everyone in different areas pay.

When I originally adopted my first donk...they were $25.00 (that was in 2000) a few years later it went up to $30.00 & I was warned by my farrier that fee's would be going up again :eek: I assume to $35.00...I hope & not more...I always tip as well. What do you guys pay? Oh. I live in Washington State. Teri

[SIZE=12pt]Way down here in the heart of Dixie (Alabama), my farrier that shoes our horses does our donkeys too. He charges $25 for a donkey trim and $35 for a full size horse trim. (We have one horse that is usually a $50 trim because he doesn't like getting trimmed at all :no: ...lol) He hasn't gone up on his prices lately, but I'm sure that's coming!
default_yes.gif
: Shannon
[/SIZE]

I pay $20 per donkey (but it was the same to trim my horses too)
default_smile.png
I have a great guy and will be bummed when he retires... I don't tip george but pay "under the table"
default_rolleyes.gif
:

WEll, actually my "adopted" brother, (hes a very good and close friend of the family) Joe..is a farrier and does corrective work as well. Which alot of farriers up our way wont touch. He charges $25.00 a trim, but being hes a good friend...Ummmmmmm...I dont have to pay. BUT--my hubby Bob and also my son Chris do trim the horses/donkeys in between. We usually do them ourselves about 2-3 times and then let Joe do them..to correct anything that we didnt do quit right
default_yes.gif
: He just LOVES me for doing that! :no: The "tip" I have to give him is usually bake him cookies.. :bgrin Hes single and the poor guy dont cook or bake for himself, I think I need to find him a wife! :new_rofl: I consider myself VERY lucky, that he does this for us. Corinne

Hmmmm, it is all about the same, just different area's.

Julie you are right about paying under the table...our farrier loves it when we pay cash
default_yes.gif
:

Corinne...Cookies would work too
default_yes.gif
: ...if it is the end of a day she will gladly tip back a cold one
default_yes.gif
:

Shannon...I hope it doesn't go up too...but you got me thinking...our farrier HAS been sooooo patient with our little Newbies...NO fun, I know, as I help
default_wacko.png
: Sometimes it can take "Much" patience

default_yes.gif
: :eek: :no: ...that's why she needs a tip

Our farrier was charging $25 just before we sold our horses about a year and a half ago. I have her coming out to do Levi on October 4 and I can't remember if she said $25 or $27.

I do feel guilty as I didn't realize people tipped their farriers when we had horses (only about 2 years total) until just before we sold them. UGH! I am very pleased with our farrier and she was recommended to me by a donkey owner, she owns mules and was great with our horses, even the physcho pony mare! She comes a long way, so I will definitely start tipping!!
default_wink.png
:

Vicki

Oh, forgot to ask, how much does everyone tip?
default_unsure.png
:

Vicki

we paid the farrier $20 for trims for years, however after our very pregnant mini mare kicked him RIGHT THERE :new_shocked: he taught us to trim, said he didn't want to do the little ones any more. well, i TOLD him not to crank her leg up too far since she was VERY pregnant and getting uncomfortable (he had done her several times already with no problem...) anyway now my daughter does most of them, to pay for her car insurance
default_wacko.png
: cash would be nice BUT it does save our backs LOL.

I NEVER ASWERED THIS ONE , I PAY $10.00 BIG OR SMALL! YES, $10.00. HE DOES A GOOD JOB AND IS THE SAME FARRIER WHO DID MY QH HORSE WHEN I WAS 10. WELL, I AM 34 AND HE HASN'T RAISED HIS PRICES!?!? NEEDLESS TO SAY, I TIP HIM WELL. HE IS A GREAT, HE EVEN CAME OVER RECENTLY AND DID THEM WHILE WE WAS AT THE HOSPTAL AND DID THEM AND WOULDN'T TAKE ANY MONEY. I WOULD BE LOST IF HE RETIRES! :bgrin , NIKKI

We pay $25 a trim for our mini donks, mini horses and also for fullsize horses too.

I don't pay cash anymore, unless I get a receipt, cause with all the ones i have done, I have to have my receipts for tax purposes.

default_wacko.png
:

Back