what did you do this weekend?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
This weekend for me was really busy, I worked 10 hours yesterday and this morning started working on the barn again. I really am trying to get the outside done before winter sets in, I can work on the inside then.

I am terribly afraid of heights but was up on the roof putting tin on most of the afternoon.

I did okay after the first few minutes but it took me awhile to get down (had to pry my hands off of the rafter I was holding onto)

Of course I had to take a few breaks to love on the horses.

We are using pallets for the outside walls and have most of those in and will put tin on the outside and wood on the inside. We got about 1/2 of the roof on today.

Hubby can't get up there so I did it and he handed me stuff and played with the babies.

For anybody that wants to know about using pallets for the outside walls, they work great and insulation slides right in the openings. Sure beats buying all that lumber and nailing it together!

At the rate this barn is going up, I should have it finished in a couple of years.

Mary

Mary...now it's my turn to ask for pictures!

You may have read on Jill's thread about her barn where I mentioned using pallets for building a barn (I made our hay shed with them, and am next building a bicycle/lawn mower garage. I get them for free and have been collecting them. I've had people laugh, but you're absolutely right -- your framing is already almost done with pallets.

I'd like to see your barn, when you get time.

Good thinking on your part and look at the money you didn't have to spend. We stick framed but used pellets for the walls and covered the outside with old plywood sheets that get sided in the spring. Looks terrible in the raw but will look fine finished and the cost is next to nothing for wood except for the 2x4's plus the shed is heavy and for sure won't blow away. This is our junk shed that is slowly going up with an addition going onto the side that l didn't know about.
biggrin.gif

outsides029.jpg

Good to know that there are other guerrilla recyclers here!

Our plan is to sheath the pallet "framing" with plywood, then use firring strips/slats for a faux board and batten look.

Latest posts

Back