What di you learn from Nationals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
I rarely go to a show that I don't pick up a new idea or way of doing things. Nationals were no exception! Many of you probably already knew these, but if you found out something or way of doing something, please share
default_smile.png

What I learned -

I need to learn to set my halter horses up from one side only instead of reaching around or going to the other side. It's more efficient and looks better, too.

Driving horses who are ON THE RAIL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE where they are SUPPOSED to be CAN and DO win at Nationals.

Using a mixture of water and pine-sol and sprinkling it around the stalls and aisle ways with a watering can really keeps the dust down PLUS makes the whole area smell nice (Thanks Sarah and Kay of Rosemill Training for that tip!)

I learned razoring tips from Sarah Organias also!!

I also learned that FLYING to Nationals helps keep down the buying urges, but NOT BY MUCH!!!
default_biggrin.png

What did YOU learn??

Last edited by a moderator:
We weren't able to go maybe next year but had 2 horses there with friends

I learned it is really tough!!!! competition

Although I knew that last year too so it was a relearning experience
default_wink.png

I LEARNED

NOT TO LEAVE MY HUBBIE IN CHARGE OF FEEDING THE ONES THAT DIDN'T GET TO GO. I GOT HOME AND ALL THE SHOW HORSES FOR THE YEAR THAT DIDN'T GO TO THE NATIONALS GAINED ABOUT 75 LBS....HIS EXCUSE?

"BUT HONNY THOSE BIG DOE EYES, I JUST COULDN'T NOT GIVE THEN A LITTLE EXTRA"...

LOL

AT LEAST THEY DIDN'T GO WITHOUT..

I LEARNED NOT TO LEAVE MY CELL PHONE ON MY COT IN FRONT OF THE STALL..IT GOT STOLLEN BY THEM KIDS ON SKATE BOARDS..SAY THEM TAKE IT BUT I COULDN'T RUN THAT FAST..

I LEARNED THAT NO MATTER HOW LONG OR HARD YOU WORK , IT STILL COMES DOWN TO "THE JUDGES OPINION" AND NOTHING ELSE.

I LEARNED TO GET THE TRUCK COMPLETELY CHECKED OUT AT A REPITUAL DEALER BEFORE GOING THAT FAR..I HAD TO REPLACE A BATTERIE...A ALTENATER...AND A TURBO HOSE..ON MY DISEL.1200.00 LATER WE GOT TO COME HOME.

WE HAD A GOOD TIME INSPITE OF ALL THE GOINGS ON. CONGRATS TO ALL THAT PLACED AND TO THOSE THAT DIDN'T A HARDY CONGRATS FOR TRYING AS HARD AS YOU DID. THAT COUNTS MORE IN MY BOOK THAN THE ACTUAL PLACING IN THE CLASS.

SEE YA ALL NEXT YEAR

We learned after three years of renting a golf cart to go back and forth on fairgrounds for $50/day this year we rented a car from Enterprise nearby for $35/day and even got to see some of Tulsa! Much better also if raining, and windy to have a car on the grounds! (nothing against the golf carts but for us much smarter!)

We learned after three years of renting a golf cart to go back and forth on fairgrounds for $50/day this year we rented a car from Enterprise nearby for $35/day and even got to see some of Tulsa! Much better also if raining, and windy to have a car on the grounds! (nothing against the golf carts but for us much smarter!)
Huh now thats pretty cool. I agree those golf carts are expensive.

I was'nt there but did watch from home and learned that in liberty class, you can hold on to a horse after the music starts till a fast beat comes then let your horse explode from his/her halter to the fast music if it has a quite slow start.

OMG I do not care what the cost Golf Carts are one of the best part of Nationals it is like being on a Disneyland ride all day long. Granted I am pretty easily entertained but always has been one of the best parts of the whole show for me :)

I learned that there are people out there that we have never met, who will be quick with their congratulations and "atta boys", who are sincere in their cheers for someone they have never met. As a newcomer, I felt welcome by everyone I met, be they fellow exhibitors, or management. And I learned how much I enjoy coming home...I also learned that Listerine will keep those nasty little biting flies at bay and smells a lot better than garlic!

Dorothy

At my first Nationals, I learned: Nationals is exhilirating yet exhausting all at the same time; I have much calmer nerves than I ever knew when it comes to showing and driving; bringing and making your own food is a necessity; inflatable mattresses really ARE comfortable; my horse, Duke, although showing little interest in jumping, can hurdle a chair if required
aktion033.gif
(Liberty Over Class)
yes.gif

Finally, I learned that there are a LOT of REALLY nice people involved in this show in every aspect.

I also learned definitively that I am indeed hooked on this whole Mini thing (be careful what you wish for, Kim
wink.gif
)

Garnet Barnsdale

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG I do not care what the cost Golf Carts are one of the best part of Nationals it is like being on a Disneyland ride all day long. Granted I am pretty easily entertained but always has been one of the best parts of the whole show for me :)

Lisa I have been laughing, yes the golf experience is a lot like Disney rides! But it seems the traffic in Tulsa doesn't tolerate a golf cart very well on their roads. Had a time or two wish we had a golf cart after we turned in the rental car though so maybe if we go next year may have to do both some. It was fun to drive to Sheplers Western store though and to eat out a few times. We did find out there is more to Tulsa than the fairgrounds though by having a car. Wonder if the zoo is a fun place to go?

Lisa I have been laughing, yes the golf experience is a lot like Disney rides! But it seems the traffic in Tulsa doesn't tolerate a golf cart very well on their roads. Had a time or two wish we had a golf cart after we turned in the rental car though so maybe if we go next year may have to do both some. It was fun to drive to Sheplers Western store though and to eat out a few times. We did find out there is more to Tulsa than the fairgrounds though by having a car. Wonder if the zoo is a fun place to go?
Wow, the zoo! Who has that much time on their hands? I was either unpacking/packing, preparing for class, in class, or exhausted! Maybe I need to "get a life" instead of entering so many classes.

Lavonne- I heard the zoo is nice. We never get out much with taking as many as we do and showing from youth and till the end. But maybe someday. You know what about splitting the cost of a golf cart with someone? I seen that they maxed it out at 200.00. If you aren't going to be there the whole time could you share it with someone and share the cost? We thought about that this year. I know there were many days we wished we had one or a scooter.

One thing I learned...even after a million trips from the super duty barn on up and going most of the day without eating that you shouldn't expect to have lost weight when you get home.
default_no.gif

Also we were stalled with Longmans and everyone was resposible for certain evening meals. It was great to eat a good meal after a long day of showing and not always have to worry about making it.

Another thing is that the furniture was 150.00. I didn't think that was bad because you got the whole living room set for that. It was wonderful to come back and sit on a nice comfy leather couch rather than a chair in a bag. Having a fridge is a must as well as a freezer really helps with buying your own meals and drinks, saves a lot of money rather than always eating out.

Of course I learned many other horse ideas as well, always seems like a learning experience with these guys.

I've never been to the zoo but the aquarium is really neat with lots of interactive/touch exhibits!

Latest posts

Back