What color pattern are my horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.T

Reaction score
I am in the process of registering 3 of my horses with pinto.

One of them, Boss, was DNA tested heterozygous for Tobiano and negative for Sabino. So I know his colored pattern.

We can't figure out what pattern Boss' son, Junior, is. He is a sorrel medicine hat and has pinkish skin. Here is a picture of him. We are pretty sure he would be considered Tobiano and not Sabino. But the other option is solid. He is wet in the picture. Juniors mother is a chestnut pinto with blue eyes.

2iu6iia.jpg

The next horse we are debating about is Gracie. Her father is Kickapoo Nickelodeon(a silver dapple sabino, tobiano, splash overo minimal pinto) and her mother is black(not sure of her genes). She is considered breeding stock so she doesn't actually have any white patches. Would she be considered solid? and what color would her mane and tail be considered? White? Flaxen? Her body when clipped is MUCH lighter and has LOTS of white dapples.

spzzfp.jpg

Sorry-you can scratch what I said earlier! For some reason I didn't read the first sentence when you were asking for registration help. I think targetsmom has got it covered though
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe your color choices for pinto registration are just "tobiano" "overo" or "solid" (breeding stock). PtHA may change what you put anyway, so don't worry too much. I would call your first one (Junior) a sorrel tobiano, although he might be a "tovero", but that isn't one of the choices. Gracie looks like a solid silver dapple to me. I am not sure what to put for mane and tail either - flaxen or silver??? It is also possible (maybe not too likely) that Gracie has enough white on her face to be a "colored" pinto. Does the white extend behind a line drawn from the mouth to the ear?

Will you be showing at the New England Pinto Shows or at the Equine Events Shows in New England this year?? PLENTY of shows for your PtHA registered minis, including breeding stock. Hope to meet you!!

I would say the first horse pictured is a silver bay sabino, maybe tobiano as well. The second horse a silver black Sabino.

I believe your color choices for pinto registration are just "tobiano" "overo" or "solid" (breeding stock). PtHA may change what you put anyway, so don't worry too much. I would call your first one (Junior) a sorrel tobiano, although he might be a "tovero", but that isn't one of the choices. Gracie looks like a solid silver dapple to me. I am not sure what to put for mane and tail either - flaxen or silver??? It is also possible (maybe not too likely) that Gracie has enough white on her face to be a "colored" pinto. Does the white extend behind a line drawn from the mouth to the ear?

Will you be showing at the New England Pinto Shows or at the Equine Events Shows in New England this year?? PLENTY of shows for your PtHA registered minis, including breeding stock. Hope to meet you!!
Hi targetsmom, thank you so much for the help. Gracie's face white actually stops at the line of her lip so it doesn't cross her halter so I don't think it would be enough white. I actually will be attending the Equine Events Shows- the RI one and the spencer ones. I'm not sure if I will make it to the pinto shows this year though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's easier, you can e-mail me the photo of Gracie at [email protected]. It is probably not enough white, but you can still do breeding stock.

What classes will you be entering? We plan to enter all the Ammy and Open pinto classes (non-breeding stock) at those Equine Events Shows. And that is just with Princess, our black and white mare. We may bring a second mini too. Time will tell. Looking forward to meeting you.

Back