What color is she?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniDashofBlue

Reaction score
This is a little mini filly named Daisy that was given to me as a project. I have been working with her for about 8 months now. Her owner got her when she was 2 months in June and she was clipped once in June, September, and October. Each time we clipped her she seemed to have more and more spots on her hindquarters. Daisy also has alot of white in her mane and tail as well as very subtle flecks of white throughout her coat. We have talked to her old owner and she says that she thinks its the Sabino gene because Daisy's sire is an overo. However, you can hardly see any white except a few dots on the very top of his rump. We talked to another lady here in California and she does not think Daisy has the Sabino gene. She said "She just has some roaning." Daisy's dam has a smallish oval shaped circle on her shoulder but that is the only white. Here are a few pictures of Daisy. What do you all think?

PA261026new2.jpg
100_2060num2.jpg

note: I do not own Daisy but have permission from her owner to post the pictures. She is just as curious as I am about her color.

I would guess sorrel and those marks are either sabino or hair grown out from an area that had a bad skin irratation or scarring. Either way her base color is sorrel.

I know that she is a sorrel/chestnut but there is no way her white markings are scars or a skin problem. The hairs and skin is white but looks the same as her red hairs. Her dam has a white mark on her rights shoulder exactly like the one on Daisy's left hip.

I have one who has a little more white on her every time I clip. She was solid black when I got her as a 3 yr old, and now at 11 has a quarter sized white spot on her belly, and white marks on her back which grow a little every year. She is a grand daughter of Orion Light Vant Huttenst, and all of her full siblings are pinto, she is the only solid. I think her markings must be related to the pinto/ appy genes, but I don't know much about color genetics. I'm sure there are others that will have more input, but it sounds like your girl could be kind of like mine.... They are cute little spots though!

I know that she is a sorrel/chestnut but there is no way her white markings are scars or a skin problem. The hairs and skin is white but looks the same as her red hairs. Her dam has a white mark on her rights shoulder exactly like the one on Daisy's left hip.
Then I would go with the first thing I stated , sabino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are just Birdcatcher spots and are very common on clipped Red base horses (you often cannot see them when the horse is not clipped.

They are thought to be caused by Sabino.

There is no reason to assume this horse does not have Sabino, in fact, merely because those marks are there, I would assume she has.

The test for Sabino only tests for Sab 1 ........Clydesdales, which are H/Z for Sabino test negative for Sab 1 .

Pretty filly, BTW.

Those are just Birdcatcher spots and are very common on clipped Red base horses (you often cannot see them when the horse is not clipped.They are thought to be caused by Sabino.

There is no reason to assume this horse does not have Sabino, in fact, merely because those marks are there, I would assume she has.

The test for Sabino only tests for Sab 1 ........Clydesdales, which are H/Z for Sabino test negative for Sab 1 .

Pretty filly, BTW.

Thank you for the information. Yeah she is a sweetheart. Thanks to everyone else as well.

Latest posts

Back