What color does my 2011 filly look like to y'all

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Gray Heart Mini Horse

Reaction score
She was born on April 22, 2011 so she is almost 6 months in like 4 days heres pics of her sire and dam first.

Her sire has 2 silver genes and 2 red gene and hes possibly sabino too. her mom as not been tested but her first foal she lost was a dark bay and she was bred to a buckskin stallion.

We thought she is a sorrel sabino to like her dad but she's been geting more and more greyish to her now not like her dad was when he was growning up but you could see his silver hair but not like hers I think shes turning in to a dapple grey, silver dapple or just a plan grey color what do y'all think.

Thanks

Sire (he's the one on the right) :

086.JPG

Dam:

2011 other pics 116.JPG

The 2011 Filly:

Savanna 1 day old here: savanna 1 day old.jpg

She a couple days old here: Savanna.jpg

She's 2 months old here: 230691_216727798353839_100000498626589_869917_461258_n.jpg

She's 5 months old here: 310921_286623368030948_100000498626589_1195863_1020116047_n.jpg

She's almost 6 months here this is her withers, hind end: 2011 pics again 001.JPG , 2011 pics again 002.JPG

Right now, she looks like a chestnut to me
default_smile.png
Doesn't one parent have to be grey to get a grey foal? So I don't think she's greying out...maybe just sabino roaning?

She looks like a pretty chestnut sabino to me
default_smile.png
her dam looks like a typical bay. No silver-silvers are born silver, they can't just develop it suddenly later. She might have sabino which could give her a little greyish tinge, but I just see bay in the pic posted.

I think her sire is a sorrel or chestnut sabino as i know his mom mom is whats called a strawberry roan sabino.

the sire dam is a silver bay dun and his sire is a silver dapple.

if you want i can post his peddegree on here to see if there is any other sabinos in his line as his mom, dad and granddam is owned by his breeder I know nother of this fillys dam as she not reg.

Its really hard not seeing the actual horses in their background what they actually are color wise. The strawberry roan sabino could be just a chestnut/sorrel sabino, the sabino and roan genes can easily be mixed up by some breeders. The silver bay dun may just be a silver bay that had countershading to appear to be a dun. I've seen silver dapples get mislabled too.

Now if there is that much silver in the back ground I may not rule out silver sorrel. I swear I had one of those, just didn't look plain sorrel to me and she was out of a silver bay mare. But that same mare had a bay sabino, she probably had some type of silver, but she looked really roany but I wouldn't have considered her a true roan so I just called her a bay sabino.

120093clipped1.jpg

I still am going to say you have a sorrel sabino.

Oh yes, if the sire is truly homozygous for silver (and I think you said he was tested as such?), then technically she is a chestnut sabino carrying silver. Silver never shows on red so you can't see it, but she could pass it on to future generations if she is ever bred. I like to keep the 'roan' part out of descriptions except when it is a true roan. For sabino roan or appaloosa varnish roan I omit the roan otherwise people get confused and think the horse is a true roan and can produce it. From the looks of it, your filly and her sire are not true roans, but are sabino with sabino roaning.

heres a pics. of her face and a close up of her nose.

and her chin is not white but her blaze its pretty wide

the stallion dam was tested for dun and she is a dun too the stallion also had a strip down his back since he was born but never tested for dun his filly has a strip down her back also but not tested for silver, red and dun genes yet.

2011 other pics 124.JPG 302350_299050310121587_100000498626589_1248307_498273042_n.jpg 296146_299050740121544_100000498626589_1248310_1166603131_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hands up who wants to kiss that little nose, Me first
wub.gif

/monthly_10_2011/post-43909-0-43062300-1318959689_thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree but she likes to some times bit we are working with her not to bit. but i thought it was so cute as the spot on the side of her now looks like a heart

So is the stallion tested as H/Z for Silver, or is it just that he has a Silver sire and dam himself?

Your filly is Sorrel (Chestnut) she may or may not have Silver- it does not show on Red....

The stallion sire is a silver dapple and his dam is a silver bay dun he was tested and he has 2 silver genes as his breeder tested him for me and he has 2 red genes so all his foals should have silver or red genes if i'm right i mean

My silver bay colt was born red. No black in his mane and tail, and that silvered out fast. But he was definitely silver bay and not chestnut. I wouldn't be surprised if SHE is silver bay.

ok thanks her legs are not black yet she has been clipped like 3 times since she been born as she looks just like her sire when he was this age but not as greyish as she.

can't help much sorry but I just wanted to say, she is mega cute!!!
default_wub.png
what a gorgeous little girl you have! you must love her so much!

Renee, me 2nd!! I want a kiss from Savana to! and a hug!

Back