What book/author do you wish...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
you could discover for the first time again?

I have to put Georgette Heyer near the top of my list for authors. The excitment of finding one of her books I hadnt' read before at a used book store or garage sale was keen. She died right when I discovered her books, so the libraries were already purging them from the shelves. I rarely see one now--I wonder what happened to them all? They are classified as romance, but they were so much more.

I would love to relive the days when I first discovered Iris Johansen. It was like magic. She still writes, but it just isn't the same now that she is doing an ongoing series that has sort of lost it's luster for me.

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books... they're so much fun
default_yes.gif

Kanoas, I agree with you, her books just aren't as good anymore. I feel the same way about John Grisham, they are all the same just new names and locations. Then I also have to add Patricia Cromwell with her Kay Scarpetta series. Nothing new just same old stuff. That's why I enjoy hearing about what all of you are reading, I'm trying new stuff and really enjoying reading again.

Oh, it's been so long, but I actually would change my answer and pretend I haven't been reading Stephen King since I was a teenager. OMG, if I could discover him again for the first time, what a treasure!!!!

Phillipa Gregory and Tamora Pierce. I would have a hayday reading through all of their books again.

Jennifer Crusie. I savored her back list for as long as I could, and would love to read them again for the first time.

Marsha - I've heard lots of people recommend Georgette Heyer, I'll have to check her out.

Jill - You know, I'd heard so many people talk about the Stephanie Plum books, and I was excited to read them. Picked up the first couple at my favorite used book store, and the clerk said, "Oh, you are going to laugh!" So I had such high hopes .... The first book especially though, I felt like it was about things that were just too scary and awful to be funny. I've read a handful of them, and I just don't find them that funny - I never laugh as much as I do rereading a Crusie. I guess, just goes to show how subjective humour can be! (Also, I get really sick of hearing about what Stephanie's wearing at every moment.)

The Hobbit. I read it so long ago (1972 I think it was) and I was spellbound!

I would have to say Laura Hillenbrand. Her books Seabiscuit and Unbroken are exceptional and some of my all time favorites. About the time I finished Seabiscuit I received a catalog in the mail with a photo of this great horse that was taken a few months before his death at the Ridgewood Ranch. I cut it out and use it as a bookmark. It will always be a part of my copy of this book. I really admire Laura Hillenbrand as an author and would love to meet her someday.

For sure Stephen King! It was back in 1977. I was 14 years old.

I got a hold of Carrie and I read the whole thing in ONE night! And that was IT for me!
default_wub.png

They have a new Carrie movie coming out. It has that Chloe girl in it (she played in Kick-a**, Let Me In, Dark Shadows).

Have to admit....I discovered Georgette Heyer as a teenager and loved her romances. The few I've found I've re-read several times.

But one author I wish I could RE-discover from the beginning would be Mary Stewart and her "Merlin" series. She spun the Arthurian Legend so well......

John Steinbeck! From his lighter work (Cannery Row, Travels With Charlie) to the not-so-light (East of Eden, Of Mice and Men), I treasure every word he put on the page.

For light reading, I loved Janet Evanovich's first couple of books -- they were such a delightful discovery that I stayed up all night reading them. Same with the first Harry Potter -- not so much the later books in the series, but the first one was so clever.

For individual books, I would love to "rediscover for the first time" The Great Gatsby, Les Misérables, Gone With the Wind...

I do love Laura Hillenbrand for her research -- my inner history/research geek drools over making a living that way.

Have to admit....I discovered Georgette Heyer as a teenager and loved her romances. The few I've found I've re-read several times.

But one author I wish I could RE-discover from the beginning would be Mary Stewart and her "Merlin" series. She spun the Arthurian Legend so well......
These two authors are among my favorites, too. I can picture in my mind where I was when I read the first Heyer book and The Crystal Cave. I reread their books regularly.

We didn't have a TV when I was growing up, so entertainment in the winter was big stacks of books from the library. I plowed through the school library and the local library pretty quick. Then I went and got a job and had to deal with technical manuals and after awhile just didn't read so much anymore.

Last year my husband got me an ipad; I didn't really want it, but I somehow started downloading books. I've been on a science fiction binge since. It's not the same as reading them the first time, but it's still pretty enjoyable. (...well, except, the ipad just isn't the same as paging through a real book.)

Latest posts

Back