What are those spot things called???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwater Farm

Reaction score
There was a post on here not long ago, cant remember the name of it for the life of me and I tried looking for it. It was about spots on a horse that are a different color than the horses base color. What are they called???? They had some weird off the wall name and I can't remember it for anything!!!!! HELP!!! Thanks!

I FOUND IT I FOUND IT I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE "BEN 'D SPOTS"!!! HERE IS THE LINK BEN 'D SPOTS.

ps. I just searched "Spots".
default_laugh.png

Ben d'Or

or Ben Dor I believe

Ooops we were posting at the same time

Last edited by a moderator:
Bend-Or spots (or Ben d'Or, Smuts, or Grease Spots) are a type of spotted marking found on horses. They are fairly rare and range in color from slightly darker than the horse's coat to an almost-black shade. These random spots are most commonly seen on palominos, chestnuts, and darker horses, and may not appear until the horse is several years old. It is still unknown what causes these markings, as they do not appear to be related to other spotting patterns. However, they are often correlated with horses showing sooty traits.

Unrelated patterns may be confused with Bend-Or spots. Some roan horses have patches of darker hairs called "corn marks" or "corn spots." While these resemble Bend-Or spots, they are linked to solid-colored hair growing in over minor cuts or scratches to the skin, and thus the underlying genetic cause appears to be unrelated. Another pattern seen primarily in some gray horses is dappling, the presence of darker hairs in round shapes against a lighter hair coat. However, dapples are an intermediate stage of the graying process, and will only last a few years.

These markings were named after the Thoroughbred stallion Bend Or, a chestnut who had such spots. Bend Or's pedigree includes several horses with such spots.[

Thats exactly what I was looking for! THANK YOU! I have a friend that has a yearling colt who is a buckskin pinto and appears to have some sabino too. He has this "smudge" on his neck just above his shoulder that is a little lighter than his base color but it's not white either. I was thinking it had something to do with the sabino trait even though there are no white markings anywhere around this spot. It made me wonder if it was possibly one of these Ben d'Or spots.

Bend Or spots are dark, as far as I know. Kody's got several on his hindquarters that grow and change through the years.
default_smile.png

Leia

Thank you - this must be what my J Jay has! She's registered brown, but when I clipped her as a 3 year old after I bought her, she was grey - but turned brown in the winter again. Someone told me she was likely silver dapple. But this year when I clipped her, she has these little black spots all over - would these be Ben Dor spots? It's makes her kind of unique I think (although, she's "unique" enough as it is sometimes LOL)

Bend-Or spots (or Ben d'Or, Smuts, or Grease Spots) are a type of spotted marking found on horses. They are fairly rare and range in color from slightly darker than the horse's coat to an almost-black shade. These random spots are most commonly seen on palominos, chestnuts, and darker horses, and may not appear until the horse is several years old. It is still unknown what causes these markings, as they do not appear to be related to other spotting patterns. However, they are often correlated with horses showing sooty traits.

Unrelated patterns may be confused with Bend-Or spots. Some roan horses have patches of darker hairs called "corn marks" or "corn spots." While these resemble Bend-Or spots, they are linked to solid-colored hair growing in over minor cuts or scratches to the skin, and thus the underlying genetic cause appears to be unrelated. Another pattern seen primarily in some gray horses is dappling, the presence of darker hairs in round shapes against a lighter hair coat. However, dapples are an intermediate stage of the graying process, and will only last a few years.

These markings were named after the Thoroughbred stallion Bend Or, a chestnut who had such spots. Bend Or's pedigree includes several horses with such spots.[
thanks for the info! I always wondered that about my red-dun after I clipped him....now it makes sense!
default_yes.gif

Flying minis said:
Thank you - this must be what my J Jay has! She's registered brown, but when I clipped her as a 3 year old after I bought her, she was grey - but turned brown in the winter again. Someone told me she was likely silver dapple. But this year when I clipped her, she has these little black spots all over - would these be Ben Dor spots? It's makes her kind of unique I think (although, she's "unique" enough as it is sometimes LOL)
Do her legs and head stay dark during the summer? She might be a true roan, they tend to appear a solid dark color in the winter and then show the white roaning/undercoat in the summer. Bend Or spots are usually larger patches rather than many smaller spots like corn spots or fleabites.

Leia

Do her legs and head stay dark during the summer? She might be a true roan, they tend to appear a solid dark color in the winter and then show the white roaning/undercoat in the summer. Bend Or spots are usually larger patches rather than many smaller spots like corn spots or fleabites.

Leia
Well, her legs stay somewhat dark above the white socks, but her head turns light. She's brown in winter (really kind of dark tan, not like a seal brown), then she gets dark grey when clipped, with these small (less than dime size) black spots all over. As she grows hair out, it's black. But when I reclip, she's dark grey again. I've never seen a color like her, so not sure just what she is. We have a show this weekend where I'll get some good pics, then I'll post, and maybe someone can give me advice as to what color they think she is : )

I believe the white spots (very like ben d'or spots) are called bird catcher spots.

Here is what theEquine color Genetics site says:

Seeing Spots: A variety of non-Appaloosa spots do occur in many breeds:

Birdcatcher spots, named for the Thoroughbred stallion who exhibited them, are small, round, white spots scattered throughout a horse's coat. In many cases, the spots appear and grow in number for a period of years, and then gradually fade away. Sometimes, the spots will persist throughout a horse's lifetime.

Chubari spots are similar, but are usually larger, often egg-shaped and egg-sized. They seem to occur almost exclusively on grey coats, and of course, fade as the grey coat fades. Most grey TBs and grey horses with TB breeding can trace their spots back to The Tetrarch, a brilliant racehorse in England in the early 20th century. The spots are sometimes refered to as Tetrarch spots for that reason.

Bend Or spots are also named for the TB stallion who bore them. They are random dark spots on a lighter coat, often seen on chestnuts and palominos. They vary in size, sometimes only dime-sized, and sometimes as big as an outspread hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, her legs stay somewhat dark above the white socks, but her head turns light. She's brown in winter (really kind of dark tan, not like a seal brown), then she gets dark grey when clipped, with these small (less than dime size) black spots all over. As she grows hair out, it's black. But when I reclip, she's dark grey again. I've never seen a color like her, so not sure just what she is. We have a show this weekend where I'll get some good pics, then I'll post, and maybe someone can give me advice as to what color they think she is : )
I think she is a silver dapple from what you describe. The spots are caused by her fur getting pulled out in little spots, possibly because it matted or possibly little sores. It grows in very dark but quickly fades back to the brown color. The next time you clip they should be gone. Silver dapples seem to have a wide range of shades. Tan to almost black. What color is her mane and tail. If it is flaxen she is a silver dapple. If it black she may be a roan. If it is self colored she may be a smokey silver black.

I think she is a silver dapple from what you describe. The spots are caused by her fur getting pulled out in little spots, possibly because it matted or possibly little sores. It grows in very dark but quickly fades back to the brown color. The next time you clip they should be gone. Silver dapples seem to have a wide range of shades. Tan to almost black. What color is her mane and tail. If it is flaxen she is a silver dapple. If it black she may be a roan. If it is self colored she may be a smokey silver black.
I thought that too about the spots, that they were from mats or something, but they stay - and they stay black. I've clipped 3 times so far - spots remain.

Her mane and tail are brown / grey and white (she's a pinto). All in all, she's kind of strangely colored : )

If you could post a picture it would help alot, I'm confused on smut marks witch occur in a red based horse bend o spots i'm not sure of, but I have two silver dapples, so I can help if that is what is being discribed.

If you could post a picture it would help alot, I'm confused on smut marks witch occur in a red based horse bend o spots i'm not sure of, but I have two silver dapples, so I can help if that is what is being discribed.
Will post pics after this weekend (I will get some good ones at the show that should show her color and spots well).

Kelly

I thought that too about the spots, that they were from mats or something, but they stay - and they stay black. I've clipped 3 times so far - spots remain.

Her mane and tail are brown / grey and white (she's a pinto). All in all, she's kind of strangely colored : )
HMMM? On classic roan the marks from any injury even minor will cause permanant black marks. That could be the case. I guess we will just have to see when you get the pictures. i don't know how it works with sabino roaning.

Latest posts

Back