What a day!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLottie

Reaction score
Hello all
default_saludando.gif
I'm new here and have read this board with interest.

I agreed to buy a little mini filly foal from someone who has hit financial problems - don't know the person directly. The filly is from a spotted mare and stallion and stands at about 28" heigh at the moment. I normally only buy registered spotteds, but there was no way I was going to leave this one to die!!! She's six months old.

She's like a toast rack and I have never seen hooves so long in all my life of being around horses and ponies. She really is a little sweetie, but is so weak on her back end bless her.

I've rugged her up so she's not using too much energy to keep warm and at the minute I'm feeding her ad lib hay along with three small feeds per day of grass nuts, black sunflower seeds, chaff and a very small amount of sugar beet. She also has access to a vitamin and mineral lick which she seems to really like.

I'm going to worm her with Panacure five day as I'm worried anything stronger would really upset her.

Does anyone have any further suggestions on feed?

Then we come to one of my spotted foals from 2009 who maybe thought he wasn't getting enough attention! Maybe thought the filly was taking all the limelight...................................I went to feed first thing yesterday morning and the colt wouldn't come for his hay and breakfast. He'd got his head stuck between two big hawthorn trees
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

My husband was quick thinking and put a huge steel jack inbetween the trees to jack them apart and we managed to get the poor little man out. He came out unhurt and went straight to breakfast. I'm always paranoid about feet and legs getting caught in fencing, but never give trees a second thought....................chainsaw out shortly!

Bless you for taking in the filly. Looks like her New Year is starting off right. Sounds like your doing everything right by her. Get those feet trimmed down and she'll feel much better right off. As for food you'll get as many opinions as people you talk to. What works for me with the ones in my barn that need extra groceries is to up the protein content in the feed. For example my staple feed pellet has 14% protein, and all the nearing foaling mares get 16% from 8 months to weaning. Babies also get 16% until they are a year old. Just what I do. Whatever you do, do it slowly so she can adjust to the changes. She's a lucky girl.

amanda

I agree. Get her feet done and it might really help. When the feet are long it can really put stress on the legs and make the tendons get very stretched. It is going to take a few trimming to get her up on her feet well. At least she is young.

Like weerunner. There is lots of different opinions on feed. I use the blue seal products and have seen miracles done quickly on there high fat food Sentinal LS. I have seen horses put weight on in just a few weeks. I also like the product Omegatin by blue seal it is also a top dress with a lot of fat.

Most of my babies are not on the thin side so I dont have to use those products on them. But I do recommend getting a good foal supplement for her. I use the product made by DAC called Colt Grower.

I have really seen improvements in my foals from years before. They are more filled out and there legs have stayed very straight and are the best foals I have produced.

Sorry to hear about your little guy happy he was un hurt.

Stuck in the trees???? Oh my goodness! Only a horse could think up something like that.
default_wink.png
thank goodness you got him out safely.

And bless you for taking in that wee little neglected girl. It sounds like you have her care off to a good start. I would suggest that you not deworm her untill she has adjusted to what she is being fed and has become a bit stronger if she is weak. Give her a chance to build up a bit of strength before putting anything toxic into her system.

Good luck with your little rescue.

Charlotte

Welcome to the forum where all your questions will be answered by this group of knowledgeable people
default_saludando.gif

Sounds like you have had a lucky break with the tree situation.

WOW on the trees! Leave it to a little boy to come up with that predicament!
default_new_shocked.gif

So glad you have the little filly now. Poor thing. I got a nearly starved to death colt in last year. First thing I did was call the vet to evaluate and advise me. He had me give him a LITTLE wormer then do it again in two weeks. Once he'd gained enough weight, I did a full dose (for his size) wormer. My vet advised against any vaccinations till he'd gained enough weight too. Their poor little starved systems really cant handle much. I kept food of some kind in front of him all the time. Good hay available around the clock. With her young age, she will gain & flourish quicker than you think. You need to take pictures of her now. Then again in 3 months. You will be amazed at the difference!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Viki

I'm taking a wild guess that you are in Europe???

Maybe even Blighty??

Anyway there are a number of really good foal/weanling diets on the market, if you wish I can give you links to them?

The feed you are giving her has little or no "zing" to it, it is a good base diet but you need to add something to it, such as the supplement grain diets I have mentioned.

Blue Chip or Equilibra, added to start , would be a god way to go.

I think your plan for worming is right, five day Fenbendazole and then full for weight dose of Ivermectin after ten days.

I would personally go for a Praziquantel "duo" with the Ivermectin, to get the tapeworms she probably has!!

Bless you for taking her in, I am sure she will reward you well.....

Happy New Year!

What a lucky little filly to have you! I would also recommend a different diet, one that is perhaps more comparable to Purina Jr. or Purina Sr. feed. One that is high in protein, easy to digest and that is a complete feed.

I definately would NOT deworm this filly now, but wait until she is a bit stronger. Especially a five day deworm program might be too much for her, Zimectrin Gold or Equimax is almost too much for a healthy foal - so would not consider that one at all. Good luck with her, and please let us know how she is doing? A hoof trim would be good for her.

Glad the little boy is okay and quick thinking by your husband.

Beth

I have some pictures of her and the state of her feet! Farrier is coming out tomorrow especially for her and he's seen the pictures of her feet so knows what to expect.

I didn't put her onto to much protein straight away in case I overdid it. My hay is really good and most of you seem to think that I can move on with the hard feed a bit. Does anyone use boiled barley? I've always used it when in the depth of winter and on a very sick horse I had two years ago and it worked wonders. I must admit I like to try to use old fashioned feeds.

I've named her Lottie as you can guess from my username and she's really right at home. She now shouts the minute she hears the front door open and comes straight to me. Once I know she's not carrying anything nasty then I'll move one of my other foals in with her for company. Poor thing must have no idea what's going on.

Yes, I am in England by the way.

Thank you all so far and I will try and post some pictures for you.

congrats on your devotion, im sure you have made a friend for life.

i would feed small amounts but every few hours with ad lib hay but i wouldnt worm just yet, id hold off until there

was a little bit of weight on her just incase. i know she wont thrive as quickly if she is worm infested but if its a very

heavy worm burden you might do more harm than good.

im sure Lottie already has a special place in your heart already
default_wub.png

Fenbendazole (panacur) will not harm her, and the five day dose in England is a single, not a double dose.

Personally I would do a fecal count, which you can do through a firm that advertises in Horse and Hound, and find out what you are dealing with, but I would really rather not be feeding worms!

We don't get the Purina feeds here, but there are many feeds that you can get that are designed for elderly or convalescent horse that would be OK, and yes, I have used boiled barley extensively in my youth, but there is actually no advantage over micronized, which is also cooked, and very readily available. If you were thinking of the wonderful mash boiled barley makes with other food, just get the micronized and put boiling water on it, it becomes the same lovely mash but in a few minutes!!

You can also put linseed in her feed, grind it in a coffee mill then just put a half handful in.

Everything in moderation, to start with though, give her ad lib hay by all means, but she does need hard feed as well, the hay alone will not be enough.

I agree RF and have started the five day wormer as it's very gentle.

Feet tidied up, but farrier will keep a close eye on her now. She's now gone onto some grow and win along with my boiled barley (have five bags left so trying to use it up) and the black sunflower seeds as they are high in oil. At night she's have some sugar beet mixed in to keep her nice and warm.

She's perking up little by little, but I think today was a big shock for her with her little overgrown feet.

I love her dearly already - follows be everywhere and always shouts shen she sees or hears me - even at night when I call the cats in
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back