West Nile Virus

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
West Nile signs can be confused with rabies and EPM ("Possum Disease)

Here in Ontario we should not be waiting till March which is our Spring, we need to vaccinate for West Nile Virus in Feburary because we could have an early spring, and it takes 3-4 weeks before the vaccine takes effect?

When do you give yours? Or Do you not bother?

http://www.equinewestnile.com/About.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't watch the video since I've seen it first hand several times. All it takes is watching a little girl's horse dig itself a grave from spinning on it's side to vaccinate. That horse and girl will haunt me for the rest of my life.
default_no.gif

It so sad. The haunting fact is that they may never find a cure for the disease completely, even though vaccines are available. But, West Nile Virus has been known to be immune to vaccines.......
default_no.gif

Alyssa

It so sad. The haunting fact is that they may never find a cure for the disease completely, even though vaccines are available. But, West Nile Virus has been known to be immune to vaccines.......
default_no.gif
Alyssa
I don't think that's correct. VACCINES (all of them) are not 100% effective against preventing disease. It's not the virus being "immune" it's the vaccine not properly working. Sort of like birth control....you can take it every day, become "exposed" and still get pregnant!

Vaccines not being effective can be caused by several issues: not being handled/stored correct, defective manufacturing, improper administration, an already exposed animal, a sub-clinical sick animal, etc.

West Nile won't happen in the spring in Ontario. Mosquitos are not "born" with the virus, they acquire it. Only certain species of mosquitoes carry it and they are typically not the first species to emerge. You can delay WNV vaccination until late April or May when using the product that only lasts 6 months. To answer your question, yes, I vaccinate my horses for WNV.

I wouldn't say it won't happen in April--just that it's less likely in April. The mosquito that carries WNV is more plentiful late in the season. However, it is possible for the virus to be present early in the year--I know that very well, because it was April 13th the one year we had a horse come down with it, and around April 22nd that same year when I landed in hospital with it. That was the first year the virus was present in Manitoba, and in April it wasn't even known to be here yet--it arrived "officially" in August that year! The horse & I were both diagnosed after the fact.

In spite of that experience so early in the spring, I know that it was sort of a fluke, and risk is low that early in the year. So, we do not vaccinate until early/mid May--horses will have higher immunity within 10 days or so, and that immunity will carry through to the end of our mosquito season. The yearlings that haven't been vaccinated previously for WNV get their first shot in late April, then their second one is given at the same time that we give the annual booster to the rest of the herd.

Normally we give the combo shot, which includes the EEE/WEE/tetanus vaccine. This year we will be using the Merial vaccine with a separate EEE/WEE/tetanus vaccine. Why? Because it will be saving us almost $600 compared to the combo shot.

West Nile won't happen in the spring in Ontario. Mosquitos are not "born" with the virus, they acquire it. Only certain species of mosquitoes carry it and they are typically not the first species to emerge. You can delay WNV vaccination until late April or May when using the product that only lasts 6 months. To answer your question, yes, I vaccinate my horses for WNV.
OK that is what I thought until Lori Rafter on another topic here, mentioned she lost a mare from West Nile in April, & thought Desiree's horse might have West Nile, and Storm41 knew of a horse that died from West Nile in the late winter.

So was thinking we should give our vaccination earlier to horses in Ontario?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK that is what I thought until Lori Rafter on another topic here, mentioned she lost a mare from West Nile in April, & thought Desiree's horse might have West Nile, and Storm41 knew of a horse that died from West Nile in the late winter.

Mary, I don't believe any of those cases were confirmed as WNV (post mortem testing). Our practice always delayed vaccinating for WNV until May when we used Innovator (6 months of good immunity). It is important to still have coverage late summer/early fall when most cases will occur. This year we are using Prevenile which lasts for a year so we can vaccinate any time. If Ontarians use Innovator in Feb. than you will have to vaccinate twice a year or leave your horses vulnerable in August and September when the disease is most prevalent.

Mary, I don't believe any of those cases were confirmed as WNV (post mortem testing). Our practice always delayed vaccinating for WNV until May when we used Innovator (6 months of good immunity). It is important to still have coverage late summer/early fall when most cases will occur. This year we are using Prevenile which lasts for a year so we can vaccinate any time. If Ontarians use Innovator in Feb. than you will have to vaccinate twice a year or leave your horses vulnerable in August and September when the disease is most prevalent.
Ok Dream that is good to know. Thanks for your help.
default_saludando.gif

There is no excuse for skipping the WN vaccine unless your horse has a potentially deadly reaction to it. WN is almost a death sentince... not quite as deadly as Rabies, but not far off.

Most vaccines, WN included, take 2-4 weeks to become effective.

Fort Dodge's vaccine lasts 2-3 months and is moderately effective (still above average compared to other vaccines!) and requires two or three shots for the initial exposure.

Recombitek (Merial) lasts one year and requires two initial shots. This vaccine is above average; a very good vaccine.

Prevenile requires a single vaccine per year and has the best reaction rate (in the good way) of any vaccine on the market, non-WN included.

Obviously, I choose Prevenile
default_smile.png
I have never used FD's WNV on my horses. I started with Recombitek (and still use the rFlu vaccine) and have moved to Prevenile.

Latest posts

Back