West Nile and Rhino shots and pregnancy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionafarm

Reaction score
Just wanted to give our foaling results for the year.

We had 18 mares in foal last fall. We had 18 carry through the winter and had 18 live healthy foals with no distocia problems or any other problems. We also foaled out a mare for someone else, with no problems. All of these mares have had Rhino shots at month 5,7 & 9. And all had West Nile shots at the same time, which means they were given at various times of the gestation.

I think this should speak to the fact that none of these shots contribute to abortions. The horse is one of the worse reproductive animals and one should expect a certain percent of abortions routinely by nature. The only year that we had a lot of abortions was the one year that the mares did not get Rhino shots.

THANK YOU for posting such a positive vaccine message!! I have been in discussions with a potential client regarding vaccines and they problems they can cause. I do not allow any horse on my property without a vaccine history! I may loose this client over it, but I would rather protect MY investment and my clients' than risk it on a new horse for the show string.

Its so nice to see a post about someone who vaccinates AND has successful pregnancies!

Thats a positive message and good to hear about other breeder experience. Thank you for sharing.

We vaccinated the same way, 9 pregnancies, 9 healthy foals, no birthing difficulties.

Congratulation on your foals.

Anita

Why is the horse one of the worst reproductive animals? Is it because they carry for so long? or thier foals are so big comparision to themselves? I mena why??? Just curious. Thanks for posting.

:aktion033: Thank you Bonnie! I have been doing the same for years.....with no problems.
default_wink.png
:

Why is the horse one of the worst reproductive animals? Is it because they carry for so long? or thier foals are so big comparision to themselves? I mena why??? Just curious. Thanks for posting.

They just are. I have a saying that I use at work, especially when I'm recovering a horse from anesthesia...."The horse is the only species (other than human) that will try to commit suicide and take YOU with them!".

In general, the equine is a very fragile species reproductive and orthopedic wise. Just not made very well for their human-made purposes.
default_unsure.png
:

None of the mares had any reaction to the rhino shots. I have been giving them for years and have never had any reaction of any type. I prfere to give all shots in the lower gaskin, rather than hip or neck as I have found that that location seems to be the area least likely to have any topical reactions.

One of the issues affecting a horse's reproductive viability is the physical attributes of the chorionic villi.

this is the tissue formed on the outside of the placenta and the inside of the uterus, allowing the transfer of oxygen and nutrients.

It sorta kinda is like velcro.

in cattle, it's industrial strength with deep long "fingers" on the placenta side, attaching to similar surface on the uterine wall.

in horses, it's thinner and shallower, with much less "gripping strength"

it makes it much easier to come loose.

there is also some difference in how nutrients, pathogens, and whatever other substances come through, pass through.

You'd have to refer to a vet on this, but the whole "passive transfer of immunity issue" also affects foaling viability.

then you have the whole issue of how fast a mare foals.

a lot of things go ointo the equation that says its a much biogger gamble to breed horses than, say, cows.

The biggest contributer to infertility in mares are humans. How many horses do you know are bred for fertility? Arabs... and that's pretty much it
default_smile.png
And that's in Arabia, not in the US.

The normal non-pregnant mare rhino shot is rough... but the Pnumabort-K shot is pretty gentle, in my experience. I still use the normal rhino shot every three months, and I haven't seen too many reactions, personally.

That is great to hear your success - congrats on a healty foal crop!

I would just like to add however w/o trying to be negative or positive, that vaccines may not be the same from year to year, and they do get perfected as they go along.

One of my boarders swears that her horses intent abnormal heats began after giving one of the earlier wnv shots (although it could be her horse just became more fully mature.......)

Its still think it is a good idea to question and be a bit on the skeptical side when it comes to health matters whether for yourselves or your horses.

Latest posts

Back