WE'RE ALL DONE! IT'S OVER

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MInx

Reaction score
Can't believe I'm sitting here writing this! And this isn't an advertizement! The lady I bought Shammy from may be buying her back along with my cart but she has't confirmed that to me yet so don't know...

Carl is 70yrs old in a few months , I'm a pretty sickly 66, we are both in physical therapy just to keep us going.

Where live is totally isolated, 1/2 mile just to the blacktop, on a lake. We have one neighbor but they are way to busy to help and it's all we can do now to keep up with the chores.

We HAVE to find new homes for them and let them go be used and loved..driven and used much more..so with a knot in our stomach and a tear in my eye we made the descision to be horseless..

we are buying a place (small trailer in Florida) to stay in for the Winters although we'll keep this house here on th elake for the summers..for now till we can't ake care of that anymore.

It's SO hard getting old when you have health problems and no family closer than 300 miles.

Carl has Ankolysing Spondulitis and Marie Strumples (sp?) disease and well my problems are many and well known on here..

Just wanted to say how much you all mean to us and how your love and wisdom has kept us going all these years..we will stay on the forum.(hope you don't mind) as we relish the friendships we've made there.You may see us at the rail of a show or two..can't stop loveing these little horses just because we can no longer own them..

Everyone think Spring and give all those new babies and gentle hug for me and especially Bless the mares
default_wub.png
MAXINE

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Maxine I so feel your sadness but also relief at a decision made. If not for my daughter and my grandson it wouldnt be many more years before I would be facing the same thing. I am so grateful that we have family close by and even with a move will continue to as they plan to move too. Winter is particularly hard anywhere where the snow comes in Nov and stays through "April. Im sure all of us would say of course we still want you here on the forum. I know I enjoy your posts and we will be anxiously watching for posts about your family. ((((HUGS)))

Maxine, I am so sorry you are having to make this difficult decision. Maybe you can find a farm near where you live in sunny Florida where you can visit from time to time. I am sure anyone would welcome you with open arms.

Sending you best wishes for the next chapter of your life to be one of peacefulness and enjoyment. The horses are a LOT of work, I definitely am with you on that one!!!

Oh Maxine, I'm sorry to hear that you will be horseless soon but I can completely understand. Hope you'll come here often and continue to post.
default_saludando.gif

I'm so sorry for the decision you've had to come to, but also glad you have the opportunity to be around the little horses from time to time.

If you were out here, I'd invite you just to come sit in the pasture w/them if you wanted!

Or take one for a spin!

My best wishes to you....

Liz

It's a huge decision to make, I've been there before too.

You have been a great mini owner!

I am so sorry.. But I respect your decision so much. You truely are an amazing horse owner.. Always putting the animals first.
default_yes.gif

Please continue to post.. You are a part of our family here now, and we would all hate to see you leave!
default_cheekkiss.gif

I am so sorry.. But I respect your decision so much. You truely are an amazing horse owner.. Always putting the animals first.
default_yes.gif

Please continue to post.. You are a part of our family here now, and we would all hate to see you leave!
default_cheekkiss.gif
[SIZE=14pt]I feel the same as minihorses4ever! I know the pain of having Ankolysing Spondulitis, I too have had it for many years! You have my utmost respect!
default_yes.gif
[/SIZE]

Bill

Carl and I thank you so much for you words of love and kindness. Nootka your post brought tears to my eyes as you really got it...What 'it" is , is the quiet driving my mare down a trail listening to her breath and he feet clipping along..just for a bit, just then we are one.

Yes I will miss it..but I had my turn and some never do..if not for an amazing husband I woud never have known Shammy and these few years have seemed like a lifetime of love..

hopefully we canfind her and Shadow another family to love them and fill their time with goodness.

See ya ll around.."we ain't goin' anywhere"
default_biggrin.png

Maxine and carl

I am glad you are going to stick around Maxine! I know you are doing the right thing even tho it is hard. I hope I will bump into you at a show sometime!

Pammy

[SIZE=12pt]Maxine-[/SIZE]

If I remember correctly, you come down to Bradenton here in Florida. As long as I'm still herre in the area (our house is for sale), you are more than welcome to come visit. I have some friends in Myakka City and Arcadia who have lots of little minis who would love some lovin'.

Stay strong - what you are doing is really difficult.

Barbie

We live an hour north of Tampa, Florida and Gary's 70 something parents come out almost every day when their health permits to love on, brush and give treats to the horses. Sometimes they bless me by cleaning stalls. I know they wouldn't mind some company. PM us when you get settled down here and come on over. There are 14 (or was that 15) velvet noses that need rubbed and three (so far) that need to be driven.

Ruth & Gary Owen

Stardust Acres

[SIZE=12pt]Maxine-[/SIZE]

If I remember correctly, you come down to Bradenton here in Florida. As long as I'm still herre in the area (our house is for sale), you are more than welcome to come visit. I have some friends in Myakka City and Arcadia who have lots of little minis who would love some lovin'.

Stay strong - what you are doing is really difficult.

Barbie
default_yes.gif
Good memory Barbie! Bradenton it is! Family there..now we"re buying a small place there in Horse Shoe Cove this summer..as soon as we get stuff sold and bought and settled in..just a winter place mind you..and yes we WILL be calling you:)

thanks! Maxine

We live an hour north of Tampa, Florida and Gary's 70 something parents come out almost every day when their health permits to love on, brush and give treats to the horses. Sometimes they bless me by cleaning stalls. I know they wouldn't mind some company. PM us when you get settled down here and come on over. There are 14 (or was that 15) velvet noses that need rubbed and three (so far) that need to be driven.

Ruth & Gary Owen

Stardust Acres
Bless your heart! We'll be in touch!
default_wub.png

Oh Maxine, such a hard decision but a selfless one. I applaud you.

Am so glad you be sticking around. This forum wouldn't be the same without you
default_yes.gif

Karen

Australia

Sounds like you just "inherited" the best of both worlds........the weather in FL, little noses to kiss and be able to love on, be able to leave them for others to spend their money, and the warmth of the friendship from so many!
default_wub.png
We all expect regular forum input and reports on your travels and how you are enjoying your freed up time.
default_wink.png

Your input is valued, your friendship loved. And anytime you feel feisty, there are a lot of buckets & shovels and even a set of reins that others will gladly share. Life is good!! Enjoy this new phase.

We are in Michigan, near Saginaw, and you are welcome to come and visit, and sit in the pasture, play with the babies, or take one for spin!

Just give us a call and we would love to have you visit. Also, Midland has 2 big shows every summer, where you can come and get a "fix"

Looking out at the snow and ice, I can certainly relate to your wanting to move to Florida for the winters!

That is so sad, but I know what you are feeling and going through with your decision. I am facing the same thing right now. My health isn't going to allow me to have horses as I do now. I have a degenerative spine and a dying hip. Pain is something you learn to live with and work around the best you can.

I have had horses for 48 years, and now am forced to sell all but our first mini mare and her healthy 6 yr. old 26" dwarf daughter who I couldn't part with as I think some crazy would try to breed her and it would kill her. I can't see myself being totally free of horses, but cutting back to two would be manageable for a while.

Please accept my sincere condolences on having to sell out. I feel terrible for you.
default_sad.png
The up side is that we will have all those wonderful memories of our lives with horses.

Maxine and Carl....I'm not sure what to say, except that I've enjoyed all your posts and would definitely miss you if you got too busy in your new life as a "snow bird" to keep in touch with us on the forum.

At (almost) 66 I know it won't be too long before I'll be faced with some serious decisions about my horses as the years are beginning to catch up a bit. After living in Florida for 17 years I'm fairly sure that once my guys are gone I'll be doing a bit of snow birding myself. Florida is definitely horse country and I'm sure you'll have even more offers from people who know that just because you don't own a horse doesn't mean you're no longer a horse lover.

Please accept my very best wishes for a happy transition to the next chapter of your lives. (((HUGS)))

Maxine...I have come close a couple times but always managed to pull through... I have been selling off the BIGGY horses with one left because of health issues and hope I can continue with just the minis for a while, when it does come my time to LET GO...I hope I can do it with as much grace as you.

Oh Maxine, I had just posted on the backporch asking you about this?

I am sorry it has come to this, health wise, but you both have years left to enjoy life, less stress and weariness on the bones...

Winter in Florida sounds like Heaven to me!! I dont like cold weather!

Then back at your place for the nice time of the year, I mean you will have the bEST of both worlds...

I'm sure you will find many velvet noses to kiss in Florida, lots on here are happy to have you come visit...

Good Luck in this New Exciting phase of Life- Enjoy it..

(((HUGS))) to you and Carl and Jen and Nick....

Latest posts

Back