Went to the rodeo last night

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
We go to Caldwell Night Rodeo every year (it was where we went for our first date back when). Last night was finals night, which we never miss. I may be remembering this wrong, but I think the main clown's name was Keith Iseley? Funny guy. Anyway for his solo act, he comes running in the arena, carrying a saddle & blanket that he had stol... err, GOT out in the parking lot. :bgrin And then he's looking to buy a horse. Someone says they'll sell him a horse and hands him this looooong rope. So he's pulling all the slack on this loooong rope and finally through the gate out pops a TINY minature horse! A real cutie. Chestnut with a small star (anyone know/breed him maybe?) The crowd loved it, went nuts. This little horse was so obviously well cared for, loved and worked with by this guy. No, the clown never offered to ride the little horse (I was saying to myself 'Please please don't mess this up and make me upset'). The mini knew some tricks. The clown put the saddle blanket on the horse (which pretty much covered the horse completely), and the horse layed down and rolled and rolled on the blanket. When the act was over, the clown carried the little horse out of the arena. Everyone loved it (especially Darrin & me :bgrin ).

Another observation at the Rodeo... The rough stock horses, man oh man... Those have got to be the most conformationally PERFECT animals I've ever laid eyes on. Talk about form following function! These horses had amazing shoulders & hips and lots & lots of substance. And when their 8 seconds of work was finished, they have movement that would make any Dressage Queen drool. Powder River Ranch in WY was the contractor, and they are doing something right. One of the outriders was using a Powder River horse (a gorgeous true bay roan) and he was just breathtaking. I told Darrin that IF we ever get another saddle horse, I want it to be off that ranch. (Hey, I can dream...)

The rough stock horses were happy, calm, tame critters too. When they brought them into the chutes and the cowboys were getting the gear on them, they were obviously enjoying the pets and scratches the cowboys were giving them. But when the gates opened, watch out!

All in all it was a great rodeo, no major wrecks. One of the clowns got kicked in the face trying to get a cowboy untied from a bull. He went down like a ragdoll and was out cold for a minute or so. Then he gets up (with some help from the Justin guys), gets a drink of water and goes right back to his job, didn't miss a single ride. :new_shocked: Those guys are incredible.

Latest posts

Back