Weird black dapple-ish pattern on my chestnut appy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meg

Reaction score
I clipped out my yearling gelding, a minimally marked (he has what I call "bird-poop spots") chestnut appy, for a show this weekend to find this shadowed pattern on him. At first I thought it was dirt, but hes had (clean) covers on and after the clip got a bath - obviously it didnt come off then. Plus, while I was shampooing I realised dirt doesnt usually go in a pattern.... havin' a blonde moment :eek:

He last showed in early December, and didnt have this going on then. Has anyone seen this on their horses before?

To me, it looks like lacing... but doesnt that normally come through in white hairs? Any insight would be great!

weirdharv1.jpg

weirdharv2.jpg

weirdharv3.jpg

most call that giraffe markings and wow does he have them! there is an ongoing study to figure out what causes it.

i'm guessing but if you look at these photos on this site maybe it could be

considered Sooty , i have heard giraffe too but couldn't find a photo to check

wow its really neat what ever it is

Equine Colors

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a silver blue roan mare with this color too, just not as much. I have always wondered what it is called.

mistyl.jpg

giraffe markings? Now that you've said it, I can totally see it... I was trying to think of what the pattern reminded me of! Ive never heard of, or seen, this before. How strange.

VernB... did your mare have the markings from birth, or did they suddenly appear one day like with my boy? And shes kept them? I think it looks kinda weird, but neat all the same :bgrin

Thats really neat! I think Erica's knocker has that, or one of her horses! I have always liked that!!

Gage

I'm not sure if she's had them from birth. When I bought her she had them. I have had her 3 years.

I really like how your gelding has so much of it.
default_yes.gif
:

WOW that something I haven't seen before, its really neat! I will watch this thread to see if others have seen this before. Nice clip job by the way!
default_yes.gif
:

Yes, I agree....looks like giraffe markings to me too! Do a search on the nternet and I know you'll find it.

I have a bay pinto mare that has them. I dont clip her anymore as she is just a broodmare, but hers got more noticiable as she got older and her color got darker.

Wow, very neat.

I've had two with that.

Here is one when it first started. By the next year, it covered more...

I think it's neat.
default_smile.png

I did notice something strange with this filly though. When she came to my place,

she had a mild/moderate rainrot crud. The pattern that continued to develop

did not extend up her neck on the side where her mane is but was on the

exposed side. I don't know what that means, I just noticed that.

Ballerina2.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone, and the interesting link Mona. Good to know I dont have some bizarre freak of nature on my hands here
default_wink.png
:

Oh Meg he's a freak of nature, you'd better give him to me then..
default_yes.gif
: hehehehe.
default_wub.png
:

Hello,

my friend's mini has marking like this, she calls it marbling.

melissa

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back