Weight loss after moving to Florida.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royal Crescent

Reaction score
We moved from Minnesota to Florida last Sept. In Minnesota they had alfalfa/ grass hay and a very good (local) feed. Since we have been in Florida they have been on grass hay (I think coastal) and grain initially. We started feeding Seminole feed and beet pulp because most of them started to lose significant weight. We did a panacur blast, had Carl Mitz out to do teeth and are giving psyllium for sand. Some of the horses have improved but many are still way down on weight. Ideas?

Thanks, Barb

JMO I don't think coastal is a very nutritious hay. I would try different hay along with the grain.

Good luck and welcome to FL.

Barbie

There is no other hay available. All the hay went to Texas. costal hay can have good nutrients if it is grown right, for horses and not for cattle. We raised the grain to 14% to offset the perhaps lower % of protein in the costal hay. the grass is starting to grow, so hopefully the mares will start gaining weight with the pastures. New experience in feeding my horses down here. Everyone is now doing well, except for several of the mares.

We are now clipping them down to help with their long coats and the heat. Necks, chests and bellies.

Can you get Alfalfa pellets at the grain store?

I know ulcers can cause weight loss but there were so many horses effected that I really would be surprised if that I'd it. I know that sometimes when horses are raised in a different area they can have less resistance to local parasites etc. We also went to smaller water troughs that we are going to sanitize frequently after finding larvae in the water. If you give psyllium powder instead of pelleted form how much do you guys give?

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved here from Oregon in 2010 and also had a dip in weight in the horses I brought. It took several different trial and error feeds/hays to get it right and I think we have found what works for us. We have ZERO grass where we live, so it all whatever we feed. We do feed either a nice Alfalfa mix (O/A or T/A, whichever we can get because right now hay is getting scarce here) or straight Alalfa...Yes, I know hay is expensive here, but we don't feed a lot...just enough so they get something to "munch on" during the day with protein. We do plan on getting round bales for the horses we don't show, so they get a little bit of something extra and not worried about hay bellies with them.

Along with hay, we feed Purina Equine Senior Active Healthy Edge (high fat/low carb feed) with a soaked mash of alfalfa cubes and beet pulp.

We feed this feed to all of our horses and it has put a bloom on them that I've never seen before. Nice toplines, no shallow hips, no ribs, nice sheen to their coats.

Coming from an area that has LOTS of green pastures and cheap hay, this state was a shock to my horses and my wallet...but we decided to have horses, so we pay what we need to to keep them healthy.

I know ulcers can cause weight loss but there were so many horses effected that I really would be surprised if that I'd it. I know that sometimes when horses are raised in a different area they can have less resistance to local parasites etc. We also went to smaller water troughs that we are going to sanitize frequently after finding larvae in the water. If you give psyllium powder instead of pelleted form how much do you guys give?

Barb
HI Barb-

So you headed south
default_smile.png

I do think it is entirely possible for many horses to develop ulcers after such a long trip. If I recall correctly from conversation with vets, around 60-70% of all horses do have ulcers, as a general rule of thumb. Not all have symptoms that are pronounced, however. Minis are especially prone to ulcers. I sure wouldn't discount the possibility of ulcers, in addition to needing better hay/protein etc, given the fact they had a long move and were stressed.

We didn't have good luck using Metamucil to prevent sand colic. Seems the Sand Clear works better for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
We didn't have good luck using Metamucil to prevent sand colic. Seems the Sand Clear works better for us.
We use the Walmart brand of metamucil...1 tsp daily in their grain/beetpulp mash. Between the metamucil and the beetpulp, they get enough fiber to prevent sand colic.

For sand issues(which you may well have in FL)that will cause food to just go through and not be properly digested for nutrients) I highly recommend pellets Equus brand sold by many online catalogs.It is licorice flavored and smells great.My horses get it routinely after a rain since they pull up grass with sand on it.They will eat it like candy.In 20+years with Minis and lots of sand colic issues I have never had a horse refuse to eat it.Nothing is 100% but this is the best by far.Keep us posted.Senior feed is also good for weight gain-has lots of beet pulp and molasses and fiber in it also.

I would add some pellets (soaked) into the ration. I use Nutrena Prime. You could also add some FasTrack or Probios powder to the feed so that your horses can better assimilate the nutrition.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We are talking about what to do next. I will let you know how it works!

Barb

Hi Peggy. Yes I needed to get out if the cold and with being on disability now, it seemed the right time for a move. I live about 20 miles from Sue.

What do you do to help your herds with bugs in the summer? The show horses we obviously spray and can keep fly sheets on but the group in the pasture is not as easy. I already am seeing/feeling the biting flies.

X South Floridian here. I have to agree that most coastal hay down there is certainly crap and not to discount ulcers from moving entirely. You could try to do a couple rounds of probios or dannon, yoplait, or activia with some ulcer meds to see if that brings anyone around. If you have well water, good luck with that too. Keep in mind that Florida once was under water is a sand based place and there are no nutrients in the ground so even if you have any grass, it wouldn't be nutritious in south Florida so even your "filler" grazing is equal to pretty much zero. You'll have to step up your game, high quality food and hay, dewormings, everything.

It cost me a pretty penny having big horses down there.I think you should head to Georgia for some good hay or keep going north for some. You'll find your answers eventually, just takes time. Best wishes to you.

Latest posts

Back