WeeFoal 38

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I just used the WeeFoal 38 test (tests from 38 - 120 days gestation) and am unsure about the results. I get a dark line at C and a faint line at T. I think this mare is open, but the test doesn't give me a positive answer like I was hoping. Anybody else use this one?

This test may not be as definitive as I'd hoped. According to WeeFoal, this mare tests in foal. However, from Jos (Equine Reproductin Forum):

This test tests for the presence of equine chorionic gonadotropin (eCG, aka PMSG), which is produced by the endometrial cups commencing in the region of 36 days post-conception. The problem with testing for eCG is that if the mare loses the pregnancy after the formation of the endometrial cups, in most cases eCG secretion will continue until regression of the cups occurs around 90-120 days. This means that the mare will still test "pregnant" using such a test, even though there is no longer a foal on board.

So this early WeeFoal test can give you a false positive. Does anybody know what the later test is based on? Also eCG?

Becky I have not tried them yet but have an order in. This is from their website regarding weefoal 38

Urine Rapid Pregnancy (eCG) Test

Pregnant mare gonadotropin (PMSG) is a glycoprotein hormone that helps to maintain the pregnancy in the mare. The term

equine chorionic gonadotropin (eCG) is also used instead of PMSG.

In mares, endometrial cups form about 35 to 40 days after conception, develop into the wall of the uterus and produce large

amounts of eCG. Generally eCG is first detected in the blood between days 35 to 40 of pregnancy. The eCG levels increase

rapidly, reaching a peak around day 60 and then gradually start to decline by day 120 to 150 of gestation.

WeeFoal 38 is a single step equine pregnancy based on monoclonal and highly specific monoclonal antibodies to eCG.

WeeFoal 38 makes it possible to test the urine for eCG in just a few minutes without any need for special equipment or

training. WeeFoal 38 helps modern horse breeding easier and simple.

WeeFoal 38 is not a replacement for Veterinary Services.

Nothing is 100 percent thats for sure. A mare could absorb a foal no matter what test you use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is 100 percent thats for sure. A mare could absorb a foal no matter what test you use.
Kay, you are correct, nothing guarantees the foal will not slip, but what Becky is asking is if the test will offer inaccurate false positives if the foal does slip. With the 120 test, this cannot happen. (according to the manufacturers) because it tests for something found present in the foal...no foal, no positive result. This new short test sounds more like a regular blood test for pregnancy, which again, is not accurate in that it can cause false positives if the mare slips the foal, until it is all totally out of her system.

Kay, you are correct, nothing guarantees the foal will not slip, but what Becky is asking is if the test will offer inaccurate false positives if the foal does slip. With the 120 test, this cannot happen. (according to the manufacturers) because it tests for something found present in the foal...no foal, no positive result.
Exactly. That's what I am wanting to know. So the 120 test, tests for something different than eCG?

My understanding (from something I got from the manufacturers/distributors of Wee Foal) is that the later test (120 days on) tests for something released by the fetus so you won't get a false positive if the mare slipped the foal. That is why I like to use that one. Now I suppose that you could test on the same day she slipped a foal... but I think the chance of that happening at the same time and you not noticing is pretty slim.

I totally get what you are all saying
default_smile.png

My thing though is I would WANT to know that a mare slipped a foal. As a breeder its good information to have. I think the general consensus is to use both tests.

For example

I test a mare at day 38 and it comes back positive. At day 123 I notice her cycling again (or whatever) and retest and it comes out negative. As a breeder I now know that this mare was in foal but slipped the foal. Just good info to have I think. Even with shipping using both tests is still less expensive then having a vet come out and pull blood. (at least in my area)

But I totally understand both sides

I'm working with Susan at WeeFoal and I hope I can get a definitive answer. I'm likely going to test this mare again with the 120 test.

I have the 120 day test shipping to me now. I'll test this mare again with that test in about a week and a half to two weeks. I'll be sure to post the results.
default_smile.png

Please do. It has been my experience that if there is a faint negative line then the result is negative. The times I've tested mares that were trully pregnant there was no second line at all. I'm thinking your mare is not pregnant. It's those questionable second lines that drive a person crazy for sure.

Weerunner, the 38 test is different than the 120. With the WeeFoal 38, two lines mean pregnant, one line means not. I believe that is opposite of the 120 test. I did have two distinct lines with the 38 test. However, I hope to know more with the 120 test.
default_smile.png

Oh ok, Sorry about that. Then I'd say your right and your mare is pregnant. The 38 day test is not available yet here in Canada, but my rep says she'll let me know as soon as it is. It would be nice to know sooner, I'm always very impatient to know if they are pregnant or not. Especially since I have a few floozy mares that will rebreed when pregnant and I dont like to let that happen if I can help it.

I have used the 120 day test for two years and have been well pleased. The 38 day test does indeed test for something different than the 120 day test. I plan to use the 38 day test and then later on use the 120+ test later on to make sure they are still pregnant. I have had great luck buying Wee foal from theminiaturehorseshop.com . I get the test quickly and they are a little cheaper than on the weefoal site.

Just done trials using these tests:

Used a "true" 38 day sample as I only bred the mare once. Needed four drops of urine to get the test to run and then took another 14 mins for the positive line to show. It was so faint I couldn't even get a photo of the line!!!!

Retested same mare at day 60. Two drops of urine and a very quick second line appeared.

So it would appear that they do register a 38 day pregnancy (and it's a maiden mare) but you need a bit more patience to get the results. I will re-test this mare with the 120 day test as well, as much as for the reasons Kay gave as my own sense of peace
default_smile.png

Other mares we tested were around the 50-70 day mark and gave results quite fast. I will continue to use these. Just need to remember that after 120 days we AREN'T looking for a second line!!!!!!

I have used this test on my mare at day 49. Very clear positive result.

Easy to use and very cost effective
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back