Weaning is soooo hard to do.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
My girls are miserable. Day 1 is coming to a close. Mommy Snow's udder is so full. She is crying constantly for her baby girl. Her voice is getting horse, really! She is running the fence, hasn't rested.

Baby is doing a little better but has started realising Mom's not coming back and I want some milk, she is saying what's up with that!

Is there anything I can do to ease this separation. I'm not giving Snow any grain. How long should I withhold grain to get her milk to dry up. Is there anything else I can do for her?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just something that has to be done. If possible, separate them where they cannot hear each other. Not always easy on a small farm though.

The most important thing is to NOT GIVE IN to their pathetic cries... otherwise you go back to square one.

The buddy system works great, too.

Andrea

Be sure to check mom's udder. She may need one tiny bit of milk expressed from each teat, just to relieve some pressure, but not to encourage her to make more. Tomorrow, if her bag seems warm, apply a cold damp wash cloth to it, but don't massage. Oh, and pasture grass can also encourage milk production, just like grain does. Good luck.

I keep mine side by side so they can see eachother. That's in the barn in neighboring stalls and in neighboring pastures. I do by all means wean with another horse. I have a special granny horse for that who is a wonderful babysitter. I don't feed grain either but I do tend the udder as miniv stated.

HAHAHA
default_biggrin.png
This makes me laugh because I am weaning Reggie (my calf) so I am going through the pain of it too! The only difference is he comes running at me looking for milk every time I go out there
default_biggrin.png
I feel so bad for him but it has to be done
default_rolleyes.gif

Ok- I must confess here, I have never yet "cold turkey weaned" my mares and babies, and it has worked best for me that way.

On the first 24 hour period of weaning, I allow mom and baby to be together for one hour, and repeat on the second day,Usually waiting til moms utter is very full.

This gives the dam some relief from the pressure, and time to adjust to the seperation..

My mares and weanlings also get to share a common fenceline, so the comfort of seeing each other is there.

This year I chose to wean when the foal was 5 months old.

Both mom and foal adjusted very well, applying these techniques.

It wasent long before they both were busy grazing in side by side pastures, and soon forgot about each other.
default_yes.gif

Never do this, so never get the crying.

How old is your foal...if this is the outcome, chances are you have got the timing wrong, and you should keep a close watch on the mares bag for mastitis.

I always do the "few hours apart each day until the foal just does not go back" thing, and even then I leave the foals and mares where they can see each other.

The way you are doing it, the mare thinks her foal is in danger, and is reacting accordingly.

If you take the foal out of earshot then the mare thinks the foal has been killed.

Neither one is acceptable to me, or to the mare.

Sorry not to be any more help, I'm sure a gazillion people will come on and tell you this is fine and this is the way it has been done for centuries.

Gelding without anaesthetic has been done for centuries and now people have found a better way!!

If this is only day one you still have time to re-think this, which is what I would advise you to do, for the sanity and well being of your mare.

Boy everyone has different technique don't they. Thanks for the advice. They can see and hear each other, but they are apart, can't touch each other, that is my only option with my set up. I am going to put them together in the morning for a little bit. I am afraid of the mastitis thing also. It can't hurt anything to allow them to be together for a while. How many days should I put them together for the hour, just the 1st 48? My baby has several mares she is with, a couple of them take care of her. She is a very independent little girl and isn't as stressed as her Mom. Thanks again.

This is a small tip, but it does help some. You can put orajel on the mare's udder a few times a day to help reduce the pain.

I usually put the baby back in with the mom to relieve the mom's condition one hour in aproximatly every 24 hours, for the first two days.

After this the mom has cut back on milk production, due to gradual seperation from the foal, and no grain.

It is a little humorous to see the baby get their first overload of milk as they try to nurse durring that time., but I believe it really does help the mom adjust to the weaning.

I do this strickly to ease the moms system into the weaning process, to avoid complications..

Wean by the moon, it really does work. I've done this alot, the mares bags don't swell up nearly as much and not hardly any crying back and forth, Go into the farmers almanac and look what is the best days. I can't get it to work right now for the best days of anything (I tried to look it up for you) but give it a try, they're listed on the bottom now. Here the site is. http://www.farmersalmanac.com. How old is the foal you're weaning, maybe he's to young? Does he have a buddy? It's hard with them if they can hear each others crys, not bad if one can be removed to another place, try the moon thing, I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Editted to say, I just went into the Old Farmers Almanac site and it works, the days in July are 2, 21, 25, 29 and in August is 19 and the 29th. Start a thread on weaning by the moon and you'll see quite a few people do this or just write it into the search engine here on the forum and threads should come up. http://www.oldfarmersalmanac.com. Click onto the Advice button on top.

I HATE weaning time. If there is anything that would make me

give up having babies it's the weaning. I hate the sadness.

Our little one from last year was 8 months before I got the

gumption to wean her totally. It's my problem as much as it is

about them.......

But what I do, do is at 3 1/2 to 4 months I cut the mares grain back

to non pregnant/nursing amounts. The baby has been eating very

well by then. I've also never had a problem with a baby dragging

the mares down so it's worked for me. I don't have to worry

about the mastitis issue.

With this last baby, she and her Mom were very bonded, I think,

because we did not rebreed her for this season. It was the toughest

weaning I've done. I separated them during the days and had

7 days of frantic behavior from the mare. However, I'd put them back

together at night..... After 2 weeks, they were separated at night but

with only a stall door between them.....2 months later I turned them

back out together. They are still very bonded, share a common stall

wall at night. But they can both stand being distanced from each other.

In fact the baby has taken up a huge friendship with her sisters.

You just have to find what works for you and your horses. They are so

individual and have different needs.

Good luck!

Weaning has not been a big deal here at all- no crying or panic ever. I agree with Jane (rabbitsfizz) on this one. Never had a problem with mare or foal with this method-- never....never.

Peggy

Never do this, so never get the crying.

How old is your foal...if this is the outcome, chances are you have got the timing wrong, and you should keep a close watch on the mares bag for mastitis.

I always do the "few hours apart each day until the foal just does not go back" thing, and even then I leave the foals and mares where they can see each other.

The way you are doing it, the mare thinks her foal is in danger, and is reacting accordingly.

If you take the foal out of earshot then the mare thinks the foal has been killed.

Neither one is acceptable to me, or to the mare.

Sorry not to be any more help, I'm sure a gazillion people will come on and tell you this is fine and this is the way it has been done for centuries.

Gelding without anaesthetic has been done for centuries and now people have found a better way!!

If this is only day one you still have time to re-think this, which is what I would advise you to do, for the sanity and well being of your mare.

Rabbitsfizz what would be your schedule for separating them each day? Today they are both upset and it is really really hot. Snow is black and won't go in the shade. I am putting them back together for the night. I will seperate them again tomorrow. Man this stinks.

Personally as a nursing mom myself I don't think I could have gone cold turkey. Not saying that is wrong. I like the idea of reduced nursing at first and being side by side. You know my mini was weaned when she came to my home to live. She got a founder ring on her hooves when she did. The stress must have been awful. Broke my heart.

What about that Ezee wean halter. Have no idea what it is. www.horsingaroundllc.com

No experience here, Emma

That ezee wean halter is neat. It makes it uncomfortable for the foal to nurse so she stops the foal from nursing.

Too neat.

http://www.horsingaroundllc.com/ezeewean/index.htm#jmp_video

So many great ideas! I love this site. I have always weaned my big babies by putting mom in a small pen and the foals in a larger pasture area. The foal can get to mom but not nurse and eventually the foal will spend more time away from mom and go farther away. I have had really good results doing this. My only concern had been about the discomfort of mom's full bag. I think I will try putting my foal back with his mom for a hour a day for a couple of days when I am ready to wean him. I really like the idea of giving her body a chance to realize that she doesn't need to be making a lot of milk anymore. I am also intrigued about timing the weaning with the full moon. Sure doesn't hurt anything to try it and if it works so much the better.

The only problem with puting the foal back for even as long as an hour, is that the foal can nurse the mare DRY, which will just encourage even more milk production.

There really is NO PERFECT way to wean. Perhaps the best way is to wait a little longer when the foal is about 6 months old, but the average age always seems to be 4 months. By 6 months, the foal is even more independent and only suckling a few times a day for a bit of security. Even at 4 months they are also doing that, but are doing it more often, which keeps mom's bag fuller. So at 4 months, the drying up for mom is a little more difficult. Between 4 to 6 months, the biggest hardship on the mom and baby tends to be the psychological/emotional separation.....not the nutritional aspect.

BTW, we have used the Farmers Almanac as a guide........and it DOES seem to help.........

Iam going to use the side by side pen and allow them to at least be together a short time every day for a few days. Another thing that is happening is the baby is picking up bad habits from the mother so I wanted to nip that in the bud. I don't want her to learn to run away when needing to be caught which her dam does. I catch the baby and take her out 1st then catch her mother so she doesn't see that behavior. Her dam is also the boss mare so is teachering her aggressive behavior that I don't want to perpetuate.

This is an interesting thread. I love reading everyone's ideas on various subjects, and the subject of weaning really throws up a good discussion.

I think two things are very important - a) the temperament of your mares, and b) your facilities. I also think that if you are having trouble with your mare's milk supply, then you are possibly weaning too early.

Over here in the UK (please correct me if I'm wrong Jane, it has been a few years since I showed a youngster) a foal cannot enter the show ring without its dam until it is over 5 months old, and the clipping of 'young animals' in their birth year is frowned upon. So weaning is generally carried out much later here.

I am very lucky in that I have plenty of room and grass. I wean my foals late, six months or later if the mare is not foaling/due for a late foal the following year.

Once my foals are around 3 months of age, they and their dams get added to my 'mixed' herd of girls. They all then range a 25 acre area of fields, woods, boggy bits, dry bits (!!) and one gorse area with little 'play' paths running through it. In a natural habitat the foals can run and play, have to watch where they put their feet, jump over fallen trees etc etc. They do all this, but at the same time are learning their manners. They learn to respect their elders, they are at the bottom of the 'pecking' order, mixing with their half sisters, full sisters, aunts, cousins etc plus the unrelated mares - all ages from the other foals up to my old retired girl of 28.

By the time they are around 5 months the foals are rarely to be found near their dams, just whizzing back for the odd feed, and can often be found playing together with the yearlings at the opposite end of the area.

When it comes to weaning the hardest thing we have to do is to try and persuade the foals that they DO want to follow their dams out of the fields, and to leave their new friends behind! We have not even caught and haltered these foals by this age - they are wormed and fussed over, will allow us to trim their feet while an 'itchy' spot is scratched, and are so over friendly they are total pests!

Having got everyone sorted, we simply lead the mares and the following foals off to another field at the top end of the farm (a field with a big open barn to give the little ones some shelter) lead everyone in and lead the mares straight out. Off run the foals to explore this new area, and their mums are returned to the mixed field. The mares breathe a sigh of relief at at last being free of their charges, and I have never had a mare get more than a half bag of milk for more than a day or two.

Last year I did have one mare who whinnied at the fence for half an hour, but she was a first foaler and earlier had been a very protective Mum.

After a couple of days of setting in, we then 'handle' the weanlings. Into the barn they come, more worming, foot trimming, headcollars get put on - just part of the fun, never an objection - and gentle brushing starts. Everyone is happy!!

Of course I realise that the 'set up' I have here is perfect for the way I like to wean/treat my animals, but I used to follow the same proceedure on a much smaller acreage and it always worked for me. Not sure how I would handle it if I only had one foal tho?

Sorry for the long post - got a bit carried away! Put it down to old age LOL!!

Anna

COLD TURKEY. We wean 3 or 4 together when they are at least 4 mths old. We sneak the mares out of the pasture and leave the weanlings in with the other mares and babies. The mares go out 1 gate around the back of the barn and to the pasture furtherest away. We weaned 4 babies last week and after a little calling back and to on the first couple of days, have had no problems. Babies are eating very well and mares bags never got very swollen.

To each his own. This is the method that works best for us. We have tried to slowly do it in stages but it just prolongs the misery.

Rick

Latest posts

Back