We got a new dog - not by choice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise

Reaction score
100_0382.jpg

This is Candy, she showed up on our road this weekend and of course we could not turn her away. She is severely emaciated, full of ticks and pressure sores but she has the best disposition. We do not need another dog but what can you do when the shelters are full. So we have taken her in and are hoping we can return her to good health. Her rabies tags are current but the phone numbers do not work. The clinic has tried with no luck locating the owners either.
default_no.gif

OMG!
default_new_shocked.gif
It appears she has had the good fortunne of finding you just in the nick of time!! Sending prayers and the best of luck for her during her rehabilitation.

Oh God......the poor Girl! Bless you for saving her. Is it possible the owners have moved and she went back to her old place?

I don't feel that the owners are directly responsible for her condition.......

I don't think its the owners fault either. People are saying that they probably moved away and dumped her, but I don't believe that. I would think they would have at least taken the collar off. I think she wandered off and can't figure out how to get back home. So she is here to stay.

I am so glad she found you. She is a pretty girl and will look great with some weight and loving care.

Arlene

She probably was left behind!! There are more and more people who cannot afford their pets any more and do not want to take them to animal control, they figure they have a better chance if they let them loose!!
default_new_shocked.gif
We had a vizsla show up here and we could not get any shelters to take him, so just like you we have a new dog!!
default_wacko.png
It is sad that the humane society's will not take any more animals, so the only option is to go to the animal control and we were told they keep them for 48 hours!!
default_new_shocked.gif

She is a lucky dog to have found you!!
default_smile.png

She probably was left behind!!
She is a lucky dog to have found you!!
default_smile.png

I believe if she had been PURPOSELY been left behind, they would have removed her rabies tag AT LEAST....probably her collar too.........And yes, she is VERY LUCKY to have found Denise!

Don't try to feed her too much, it will go right through her. The best thing for her would be hamburg and rice, small amounts several times a day to get her system accustomed to food again. I was an animal control officer and dealt with many dogs like this. They need slow nurturing or you will have lots of diarrhea. (Hate that word) I agree that the owners would have taken the collar off if they dumped her, even though I dealt with a few stupid ones that didn't. Try the post office to see if they left a forwarding address there. Good luck with her and keep us posted.

Also, have the vet give you the address and have the police in that town check the address, if they moved the new owners might know where they were moving to. They may also have had the phone shut off, but still live there. There are a lot of possiblities here including the dog may have been snatched from them and they may have been looking for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
bless you for taking her in!!

since you have other dogs, i would get her to a vet ASAP and have her checked for any possible communicable diseases and parasites. she looks like she has been a wayward pup for quite some time by the looks of her body and her nails. she also looks a little gray around the muzzle which would indicate she has some age on her. how sweet that she found a loving home!! i second the rice/hamburger (or chicken) diet for a while until she's used to having some food in her belly. add kibble slowly to get her used to real food. best of luck with her.
default_wub.png

BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU for taking her in!! Keep us posted. I would also not give up on trying to find the owners, just in case she does have a family that loved her and something went wrong. You can't help but wonder, with her collar and rabies tag still on.

I had several rescues tell me that people are leaving tags on so people will know that they have been taken care of and had shots before!! It makes no sense to me!! But in reality what choice do some people have when the shelters are full and rescues are full, and they can not bring themselves to have their pet put down!! I am not saying it is right but it happens!! Anyways good luck on your new addition!!

Bless you for taking that sweet dog in!! So heartbreaking! Who knows what happened with her previous owners. They don't always keep the info updated, seems like they could do a search on the owners names and maybe find them. I had a dog run away during a thunderstorm and it took me a week to find her! Could easily just not have found her.

She is doing ok today. She did come up to me and wag her tail. She is in a small barn with a run to the outside so she can come and go. The weather had to go and get cold & rainy so when she is out she stands on 3 legs and shakes. Took her back inside and hooked up my chicken lamp and got her a big bed from TSC. She was under that light in no time. Pretty smart little cookie!
default_biggrin.png
She is eating well, got her some Science Diet ID and kibble, has a great appetite. Started de-worming her today since we did see tapes. She is about 10 years old, had the humane society out to scan her-no luck there. I've posted on Craigs List and the clinics in the area know I have her, so it is pretty simple to find her now. If they want her back it won't be hard to find her.

Latest posts

Back