Ways of naming your new foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hello,

Everyone is having nice foals. Could you all tell us why you name them what you name them?How do you come up with their names? ideals will be great to help others.

Do you name them from their parents, grandparents?

Do you name them for for the colors?

Do you name them for the personality?

examples would be great. We name one of our big paints once eye catcher, because he had white markings like a eye.

thanks

I prefer to name mine according to their parents' names. Last year I had Pondering Oaks SYSCOS Boy Named SUE (The Sysco Kid X Kimble's Sweet Sue). This year I have Pondering Oaks Apache Rose (Graham's Chief Lobo X Country Star Rosie Flores) and hopefully (if we have a filly), Pondering Oaks Sweet N Lo (Graham's Chief Lobo X Kimble's Sweet Sue). If I have a colt, I'll have to think of something else.

We do a combination of parents names, colors, and personalities....... Many times the horse will name themselves!

MA

I use a portion of the stallion's name as a prefex, then add portions of the dam or grand parents...with a dash of "something special".
default_rolleyes.gif
: I like names with a catch...something people will remember.

Eg: 1/ Long Shots Little Miss Daisy - Sire's prefex, and the dam's name included the words "April Flower", so I went with Daisy. I can't wait until she is old enough to be driven...and I hear them announce, "And here is ***, driving Miss Daisy". :bgrin

Eg: 2/ Long Shots Little Moto Psycho - Again, sire's prefex, and the Dam's bloodlines include several "Moto" horses. I added the other, just as a pun...just say it fast and you'll get it. His barn name...Harley. So whoever drives him can claim to be driving a Harley.

I also use a thesaurus a lot...and usually have several names all ready for my foals, but some of them, like our new colt...name themselves out of the blue. He was 15 days late, and when he was born his name just popped into my head...Long Shots Reddy or Not.

This is one of my favorite things...and I can sit forever drumming up names.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
:

we like to wait till a foal is born to think of a name i used to try to collect names ahead but they never fit when one is born also like to incorporate parents name

just a conversation can make a name

for example: our 05' colt "Eagles Ring Toyhorse I'm Smokin'"

came from his grandsire Toyhorse Little Limelight and the fact that New Jersey was just doing their smoking ban in restaurants and all other public places

I was taking to my husband and said as a joke we should name him I'm Smokin' in rebellion to the new law and we really liked it so there are so many ways these things can just happen without planning.

We had a filly we named Gypsy Dreamer because after she was born her and her mom traveled from Wisconsin to NJ so thats where the gypsy came from

its really fun to just let it happen I think

We do a combination of parents names, colors, and personalities....... Many times the horse will name themselves!

MA
Ditto that, tho it's been quite a while since I had babies to name.

For the past several years we have done a combination of sire/dams name and tried to incorporate the color/color pattern. Since naming babies is always a "family" affair, I have now started naming the fillies after my daughter and the colts after my son!

For example - my daughters name is Brittany - I used our prefix then Brits Lolita - Barn name LOLA

This years filly - Prefix, Brits Sophia - Barn name Sophie

The Filly Fairy is on a roll here, my son is patiently waiting for his colt!
default_wink.png
:

Kinda fun!

We name foals in a variety of ways. I do keep a list of potential names. Some are specific, suitable only for a foal off a certain sire and/or dam. Some are just names we like, jotted down as they come to us. One of these names may or may not fit a foal when he or she arrives.

Cedar Plains is our prefix so all foals are named with that. As an example of names we've used & how we chose them:

Best Kept Secret: stallion climbed into the corral with the mare one day; she was showing no sign of heat & we didn't know she got bred. Later we wondered why she never came in heat all summer--finally figured it out & remembered that day the stallion got into her corral. Because the mare hid the baby so well for so long, the filly was named Best Kept Secret, aka "Secret"

Man of Honor: I had "Honor" written down as a possible name (Honor was the name of the sire of one of our first Morgans) However, Cedar Plains Honor seemed too short. Because his sire is JEM Ice Man, the colt became "Man of Honor"

Silver Frost: This filly is sired by Ice Man, and born on an especially cold, frosty night, plus she is a silver black. "Silver Frost" seemed appropriate in so many ways!

Southern Belle: Her dam is Tallahassee Lassie, and granddam is Memphis Queen...filly had to have a southern name!

Dark Legacy: It just suited him. He's a dark color, seal brown, and we liked the name Legacy

Summer Song: I read about a Saddlebred mare of that name, liked it, & wrote it on my name list. Our little Summer doesn't look anything like a Saddlebred, but we like the name & used it.

First Edition: The first mini foal born on our property

Frosty Lass: Her dam is Tallahassee Lassie & her sire Ice Man. So, Frosty because of dad and Lass for her mom.

Irish Mist: Her mom is Kathleen, and granddam is Maggie--kind of a line of Irish names. Again, Irish Mist is a name in our Morgan pedigrees, so it's a name I've always liked, and it is quite suitable for this filly.

Just a funny note about the name Man of Honor. A friend of mine asked me if that was really Honor, or shouldn't it be Honour? I told her that I'm American, I do not put U's into words where they don't belong. So then she started giving me a bad time about words with U in them. Just yesterday she wrote & asked me how is Honor doing--then she said she'd thought of a name for him--"Cedar Plains No Honor Without U" I got a good laugh out of that one. I just may write that down for the colt's second name choice, even though no one else would really "get" the significance of the name.

We use Rapid in our foals name as our herdsire is Tibbs Rapid Transit (avatar photo) but I have a list a mile long of names that we like. I keep adding to it as the years go by. And when deciding on picking a name from that list, we do make sure the name "fits" the foal, for lack of a better way of explaining it.

We hear them on tv, they are names of places, people, we make some up, etc etc. No specific place. Once in a great while we add a part of our mares name to the foals name. Really depends.

The main thing we do is name our foals a unique name if we can. Stumps the show announcer sometimes!

We had an announcer a few years ago that couldn't pronounce the horses name correctly all season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like short, strong names. I don't like long, complicated names or names with farm names.

My only two foals so far have been

"Zoolander" and "Mugatu" I really just like one-word names. If it has to be two words, I suppose I could deal with that.

I don't like names that include the parents' names and I don't like names that don't make sense. I do like names that sound good over the announcer's sound system at a show. I think a lot of farms don't consider that when they name a horse. Also, writing a long named horse's name over and over again for show paperwork gets tedious.

I think my new colt has the best name of the horses I have bought so far... "MBs Aftershock" it's still only two words with the farm name on it. I've had some horses... "A Stable Business Tattoo Buckeroo" "Buck Ons Jedi Knight Star" and "Country's Etched With Class" and while I understand why the horses were named what they are, I'm just not crazy about names over two words long. I wish I was into race horses or something
default_smile.png

To each their own. Sometimes I enjoy just going through the show results just to read all the names though. Each farm seems to have a different "method" to naming and it makes it more fun.

Andrea

Ok folks please don't beat me for this but I guess I'm way out in left field because I always thought that putting the farm name prefix in front of a horse's name screws up his name. I think it takes away from a name in the way that it sounds.

Yes I know I know you should put your prefix there and a bloodline or something, but I just don't like it, although I do it too! When in Rome..........

However, this next foal I have may not have my prefix or anything "common"

I prefer one big name, or two names........I like radical names, or odd names, I guess

[SIZE=12pt]I use all types of deducters for naming my foals. Here is one example...
I had a palimino Filly (AQHA)
Sire was Zippos to Be Coo by Coosa Lad
Dam was Perta Bar.
Her Name....Zips Pina Coolada
[/SIZE]

I keep a list of names I come up with and like in my registration book for future use. I've named a few foals and have gone with a combination of parent names (example Triple H Derby Day Miracle x Edgewood Skip To My Lou = Whinny For Me's Skippin Miracle) and with names I just flat out loved (TenLs Spirits Afterglow x Harrells Rowdys Reflection of Hope = Harrells Flirting With Perfection). I love coming up with names for foals and have about 30 or so names I currently love, just waiting for the right foals to use them up
default_yes.gif
: I even came up with a few names that Erica has used (which makes me proud!!!)

On a side note, "I" came up with a name I just LOVED recently. I mean, I LOVED it!!! But, I wasn't sure I'd get the right foal to use it next year and didn't want it not to get used... So, I told Erica about it but said I wanted to use it but if I didn't have the right foal next year and she did, that if she liked it it would be cool if she used it. She politely told me she's actually thought of this name, too. Well, then, thinking harder, I am pretty sure that Erica was the one who really told me that name LAST year and I just aged it enough in my mind to lay claim to it as if it was my own
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Interesting. I thought my husband and I were all alone in thinking this way!

We also want to place more focus on the horse. Our strategy is to add the farm-name as a sufix....... so we can perhaps develop Farm-Name recognition over time. Of couse the down-side with this approach is that lists are typically alphabetical, so the names will apear "all over the place". -Becky

OK..... I need to learn better about to how to post correctly ( LOL ) My post above regarding using a suffix for the Farm-Name is in response to commets above from Marty. -Becky

I always use my farm prefix KNOLLAC.It identifies that horse as coming from my farm and after almost 20 years of breeding I still use it.A farm prefix helps me track the origin of the horse.I use the stallion's name and then look at the personailty and actions. This year BREWERS CLASSIC STARMAKER & TNTS ANGEL BABY produced KNOLLAC STARMAKERS DA BOMB(BOMBER) It just fits his personality. LUCKY FOUR REGENCYS REBELAIRE &KNOLLACS LITTLE SCOOTER produced KNOLLACS PISTOL PACKIN REBELAIRE(PISTOL) cause that's what he is.Like MA said sometimes they just name themselves.

We've come to the decision that we will use the LBS prefix in front of whatever name we give the foal. When we go to name a foal it's usually a name that make sense for the foal.... (i.e. this year's foal is LBS Karbon Copy because he's almost a carbon copy of his sire! Last year's sorrel sabino pinto colt we had was LBS Mr. Michigan's Legacy because his sire was killed in a barn fire in Jan 2006 and his barn name "Ace" fits him!) We've noticed though that our foals end up naming themselves!

Latest posts

Back