Want to see my new antique tractor?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a 1946 Minneapolis Moline RTU. I have been wanting an antique tractor for quite a while but couldn't find just what I wanted locally. This is a birthday present (I am a newer vintage!). I plan to go on a tractor tour next weekend and also use it in parades that are too long for my little horses.

The lady on the left is who I got it from. She is a widow, and shed some tears to see the tractor load on the trailer. Playing with old tractors reminded her of her late husband.

Anyone else have a vintage tractor?

marshasmm.jpg

Marsha

I used to have a "Fergie" (Massey Ferguson before Massey joined!!)

It was grey and I asked the man who delivered it if he thought it would be OK to paint it red- he nearly had a fit!!

Apparently Fergies are ALWAYS grey- so I left it.

It was a 1948 model one of the first made and the man who got it for me was responsible for "inventing" most of the bits on it that made it unique- Ferguson's were the first tractors that had universal power off takes- so you could hitch up and power driven attachment (I had a grass cutter) it also had lifting equipment- I never understood it all.

Anyway I sold it a few years ago as I could not afford the upkeep on it and it scared me to death- it was petrol driven and it was trying to blow itself up the last time I used it- it would not shut down and it was getting hotter and hotter so once I had got it stopped it stayed stopped and I sold it!!

Yours is much prettier!!

Oh, Rabbitsfizz, I love those little gray Fergies. The lady I got mine from has one of those also. I think the children want three of the old tractors, including the Fergus, but she still had three more to do something with. Her husband loved them so much, she is having trouble deciding what to do.

I will try to drag a harrow in my pasture with mine, but it is basically a toy. It won't be working as hard as you made yours work!

Marsha

Marsha,

As hard as it was for her to part with it, I'll bet she was happy to see it go where it will be loved and treasured...and I'm sure you'll let her know when you're driving it in a parade.

RFD occasionally airs a show on antique tractors...quite amazing...I love vintage everything, except perhaps those things that I remember being new that are now considered "antique" or "retrp"....

Actually, RFD-TV has a LOT of shows featuring old tractors! I get a kick out of seeing them; sometimes they have pulling contests with them, which can get a bit hair-raising! Apparently, there are a fair number of places where they have 'expos' of sorts featuring old/antique tractors, and there clearly are a fair number of loving restorers of these old beauties!! I can remember my wonderful uncle(the one who first set me up on a work mule when I was less than two, and set me on a lifetime course!), farming dryland cotton near Lubbock, TX, with his Farmalls, circa the early '40s. Maybe that's why I have a soft spot for tractors...enjoyed seeing the picture of your new 'toy', Marsha.

Back