Walnuts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackerjackjack

Reaction score
I have a couple of walnut trees and I don't know if I should cut them down or not. I have someone coming out on sunday to remove some trees and brush so that we can put up more fencing. There are two big walnut trees that provide great shade, but I am not sure if the walnuts will harm the donks. I looked for the information online, but only found one site that said that donkeys love walnuts. But it was a silly site and I wasn't sure how accurate it was.

Also, what kind of fencing does everyone use? I am just curious. What is the best?

default_saludando.gif
Not sure about the walnut question, I've never seen a walnut tree!!
default_new_shocked.gif

About the fencing question...we just have 3 strands of electric fence wire, it seems to work, they were not used to it before they moved in and immediately respected it, even when the lightening took out the unit they didn't seem to notice that it wasn't working
default_wacko.png

We have all ranch fencing and cattle panels. The ranch fencing is 4x4" squares and I think the cattle panels would be about 4x5" . We also run a 2" white electrical tape along the inside of the fencing, that is about 2" off the ground. We have never had any problems with predators coming in or stray dogs, but when the predators do come around..the donkeys all seem to keep them at bay from coming into there areas.
default_aktion033.gif
I also have a few stallion runs which are made out of white vinyl fencing, which I dont like at all...mine has cracked in the cold weather.
default_biggrin.png

We have wire mesh fence- 4 ft tall, telephone posts for the corners and t-posts in between. A string of electirc on top (for my biggee when he is in there) and a string of electric 1 1/2 ft from the ground (for when my mini is in there)

No clue on the walnuts- sorry...

We have all cattle panels... like Ce said the openings are about 4x5 or thereabouts. We've had two separate scary incidents with the cattle panels. Gracie got her head caught in an opening - ears and all. Thank goodness I was there to rescue. And Ruby had the same thing happen a couple weeks later. I was there (and got my first kick too!) and pulled her out. That is the only downside I really see to the cattle panels. The little ones' heads really can get caught! But I've also heard that using hog or combination panels with the smaller openings.. that hooves can get caught. And, electric fences make me nervous (just because *I* forget sometimes they are hot
default_wacko.png
:DOH! )

I wouldn't think the walnuts themselves could cause harm, but wondering about the green husks?
default_unsure.png
I use that part for dying baskets and it just seems pretty ummm... potent!
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back