Wallpaper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmhand

Reaction score
I'm redoing one of our bathrooms, had wallpaper on the walls. Stripped off the wallpaper but there is still a lot of glue on the walls. Anyone know of an "easy way" of getting the glue off? I've tried using a product called "chomp", but not sure if I'm taking the 'drywall paper' off also or not. Does anyone know if I can just prime the walls 'as is' and then paint?
default_no.gif

I dont know about the new wall papers but we have always steamed off the old glue using a towel soaked in hot water and wrung out. Put it directly over the glue and it should peel off. If you paint over the glue I think it will discolor the paint wherever it is left.

We steamed it off with a steam machine thing.

Sorry im not very much help!

I heard on a DIY show - fabric softener........... I was dealing with this yesterday but mine came off with water - if not I was going to try goop off.

In April, I put wallpaper in a couple rooms in my house which I will *never* do again!
default_smile.png
I started taking the wallpaper off in the bathroom with a soaking wet rag and a spray bottle. That worked REAL well, but the floor was getting soaked. I went to Lowe's and their worker said to get the wallpaper off and get off as much glue as you can take off, then just "use extra glue". Sounded too easy, but it worked for me. When I moved to the living room, I peeled off the wallpaper and any glue that I could peel. Then I put wallpaper glue on the wall with a brush, paying extra attention to the areas that had lots of old glue residue on the walls, readied my wallpaper and hung it! It is up in 3 rooms, and all is well! Good luck to you. I'm sticking to paint if I have to do anymore redecorating! It is *not* in me to be a wallpaper hanger! :DOH!

You can use fabric softener mixed with water or white vinegar with water in a spray bottle . Spray it on and then scrape it off. We were just doing this at my nephews this week end but they rented a steamer, the paper was so old and foil. Good Luck, Kathy

i LOVE to wallpaper!!! i'm in the process of picking out paper/paint for my bedroom. it's the only room in the house left to do.

i've had people tell me that if you use the fabric softener method, paint won't stick to the walls. never done it so don't know if that's true.

the best way to remove old paper/glue is with a water/vinegar spray. spray it on, let is sit for a few minutes and then scrape it off with a wide putty knife.

I've painted over the area that I had removed some boarder using the fabric softener and it wasn't an issue. I've also redone a bathroom that was done in the Mid-70's pulled the icky wallpaper down, most of it peeled right off the wall, got the rest off using warm water and sponge, painted the walls and put up a new boarder, looks awesome.

I found the warm water and a sponge, and a flat plastic scraper worked best for me. a metal scraper gouged the walls easier than the plastic. don't over wet the area either or you'll soak the drywall, making gouging easier. now if only I can decide what color I want for my living room I'll be doing good.....sky blue is wearing on me....

Karen

Latest posts

Back